Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
There are a lot of 6.5x55s around in good to VG condition at places like tradeex, gun shows and on the used racks at gun shops. With the Creedmoor craze still ongoing, there are a lot of bargains to be had. I originally posted this (unintentionally) in the Single Shot forum. I was exploring the purchase of a 6.5 Grendel, when I discovered 100s of 6.5x55mm rifles, M96s and M98s, primarily at tradeex. This previously loved rifle cost me $250 ($190 USD). An M96 with a VG bore. The stock will probably need refinishing.

Used rifles and 6.5x55mms aren't everyone's cup of tea, but the prices on Husky 1600s, various M96s and assorted other makes are worth a look. You can even get a new Zastava made 6.5x55s for $695. There's other stuff to look at as well. www.tradeexcanada.com

There is no plastic or pot metal on this rifle. More details when I receive it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Keep me updated Steve. I have looked at them online. If they have good sights I probably would buy one.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Will do.

When it arrives, I will take the action out and have a look at the stock. I am not going to bother bedding it, but it will need a clean up, at the minimum. After I shoot it, I will use the little known, and mostly forgotten method of action shimming, should there be a need. The Finns liked to shim their military rifles. It works great, as long as the stock is made from good hardwood.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Can i order one and ship to the US?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mr. Redgwell, Bill here. I've looked at those quite often. I believe there are some in stock at epps, I know there are three left hand versions, two in 6.5 & one in 375. No funds now but maybe later. There's even a LH mod. 85 in 7.62 x 39,, wish someone would by it soon , very tempting would make a nice little bush gun. Mgbgalt sir, I know Epps guns on hiway 11 north ont. 🇨🇦 Will ship to the. USA. At the dollar differents it would be a real good price $$ . Just a heads up, anyway maybe if I trade In the 454 casull, no no sorry just thinking out loud. Have a good week guys I'm out. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hi Bill. Most of them are undervalued because the the 6.5 Creedmoors. Some real bargains to be had.

mjbgalt,

It doesn't look like Epps has much in stock. The least expensive rifle they have listed in 6.5x55 is a CG63 - a target rifle - for $495.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I just looked up zastava & there's quite a few, 27 of them including 3 lefties, some model 85s, the little one in 7.62x 39. & one manlicker 85. ++ a bbl off of a model 70 in 6.5x 55 for $100.00 bucks. I wonder if there's enough meat on the chamber end to fit it to something else??? Ok stop talking about them or I'm going up to look & looking leads to............ Have a good day, Bill out. 🐾👣🇨🇦

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
My "new to me" 6.5x55mm from Tradeex - lots of pix

I haven't taken it apart yet, but first impressions are important. I am hopeful that it looks as good under the wood, and of course, that it shoots. There is some work to do to clean everything up.

It is a 1943 Husqvarna with a 580mm (22.8 inch) stepped barrel. It weighs 7.5 lb and the trigger pull is 3 lb, but it's that clunky Mauser type. I'll worry about that later. If the trigger doesn't impair the shooting, it will remain.

The outward appearance suggests that it has been in storage for a while. Basically, it's dirty. The bore is great. crisp rifling with virtually no wear. The finish shows handling, but no pitting, rust or gouges.

It is drilled and tapped, and came with inexpensive aluminum Weaver bases, made in Japan. I'm not sure how old they are, but the screws are in good shape and will clean up well.

The wood is wonderful. I am not sure what it is, walnut probably, and it's in good shape. A little TLC will help here to get rid of the dirt, sticky labels and stains.

I wish this rifle could talk. I think that it was cut down at one time for someone of smaller stature, and repaired later. You can definitely see the fix, but it was well done, with no unsightly seam or size difference between the two pieces.

There is a foresight, but no rear sight.

For what I paid, this is a steal. And again, I'd like to thank all the people who purchased 6.5 Creedmoors. For $250 ($190USD), it's a huge bargain!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Steve, I agree with you on all the great old rifles available at decent prices. I recently scored a NAACO (North America Arms Co.) 30-06. It has an FN action, a Williams "Twilight" 4x scope and a nice stock. I believe the barrel was likely made in Toronto in NAACO's own shop. I love the old "classic" style and looks of the old sporters, and this one covers it all for me. 30-06 has always been a favorite caliber, along with heaven knows how many others! grin

The Swedish M96's are generally tack drivers and can be had, as you point out, at good prices. I have a few full wood milsurp 96's and 38's, some of which are rare.

You have a good looking rifle there. Share some pics when you get it all spiffed up.

If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell!
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks for contributing to the thread and congratulations on finding your rifle! Did you find it at a gun shop or a show? If you can, take some pictures, so we can have a peak.

Tradeex also has a number of 9.3 rifles, many of which are in VG or excellent shape.

Hey, I sound like a Tradeex ad. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I took the stock off this afternoon and began cleaning th wood and metal. I am not familiar with Swedish sporters and found a few things that puzzled me. The first was the safety. It's aftermarket, but who made it?

The, there was the stock. Who made it? I posed this question on the Mauser forum here.

More on the stock.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]...[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So I cleaned the preservative and upteen years of dirt, dust and crud from the metal and the wood. The rifle is somewhat of a mystery to me. I am hoping that I find out more about her as time goes on. The stock is bedded and the barrel is free floated.

I included this. A picture of the wood that was added to return the stok to the correct length for an adult to shoulder it. The flash really highlights the difference in the wood, but there is almost no difference in the colour when looking at it in natural light. It is approximately 1.5 inches thick.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great score.

I picked up an old Husky FN '06 last year with a beech stock rougher, mostly, than yours. Had the split behind the tang common to those because they don't relieve the wood there for some reason. Think I have it fixed, but may just drop it into another stock I have. The checkering is pretty sad on the original too, and I'm not sure how re-cutting it would work out with beech.

I think I'd replace that added wood on the butt with a thick pad and maybe a black spacer if needed. It looks okay, but is probably gonna slide all over the place.

Keep us in the loop on this one.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I believe that I will be putting a recoil pad on it. Maybe a Limbsaver grindable one. I'll measure it and see which size I need.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have a M96 that was made in 1907, IIRC. Wood shows some character, but the metal is nice. 6.5x55 Swede. It has a 29" barrel, and the metal looks great for something built 112 years ago.. Good shooter. With the irons and a makeshift rest, I was able to shoot 5 into an inch and a bit. at 50 metres and I love the 6.5 Swede. so much so, I bought a Tikka T3 stainless synthetic. -- and that one shoots bug eyes at both 100 and 200. Three rounds of Remmy green box into an inch and a half at 200 yards.

Might move the model 96 if the right deal presented itself. Am looking for a nice accurate 223 bolt rifle with an 8" twist.

Any idea what the M96 is worth, ballpark?

Last edited by the_shootist; 10/28/19.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
You might try emailing Tradeex. They should be able to give you an accurate price.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Thanks. I could do that.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keith, I have had an 8 twist .223 for 4 years. It is a Browning White Gold Medallion. Not the cheapest model but I managed to get it at a substantial discount through a family connection. Nothing has been done to upgrade it but it shows a lot of promise. Nowadays I have trouble telling how much any poor groups are my fault as my eyes are not what they used to be. Often I get 4 shots into respectable groups with a fifth shot outlier. One of my more reliable bullets is the 70 grain Speer which seems to shoot into 3/4" groups. I have not tried other heavy bullets. Surprisingly the Hornady 40 grain V-Max bullets also shoot very well.

Poor health over the last couple of years has kept me from doing the quantity of shooting I used to do. Don't know if you are looking for a low cost rifle or not but if you check the catalogue you may find that Browning has a model that meets your needs.

Jim

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Jim,

Thanks for the info. I have had several Brownings over the years and still have a few. Started out with a 22 pump (some call it the trombone) that mom bought for dad the year they got married -- 1948. Learned how to shoot with that little tack-driver. still have it. Next was a Belgian BAR in 7mmMag. Good rifle but what I wanted was an 06. Next was a BL22 for my X wife. Then came a Challenger pistol 22LR, then an Abolt 2 M1000 Eclipse in 300 WinMag, then a used BL22 for my younger daughter. Also had an Auto 5 S/A 12 way back when.

Every Browning I have owned was very accurate and well made. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if the stars aligned. Also have a great fondness for TIKKAs. Have three, all shooters. CZ is also nice and accurate. Got a couple of em.

Preference in a 223 would be to a TIKKA Varmint. Your thoughts.

Apologies to Steve for hi-jacking this thread.

Last edited by the_shootist; 10/29/19.

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
No problem. The Canadian section is underused. Have at her.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keith, it so happens I have a Tikka Heavy Barrel varmint gun in .222 Remington. I managed to get it on sale a number of years ago. It replaced a Browning heavy barrel in .223. If anything I think the Browning may have been a little more accurate. I also have a CZ .22 LR (M452). It is not as accurate as most suggest theirs are. It tends to throw occasional flyers, however, I have never tried high end ammo in it so don't know if this would clear up that problem.

Contact me if you want more details. I would have replied last night but this useless system would not let me in. It kept telling me to refresh the webpage. Maybe one day the people who operate the campfire will rectify the problems.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
771 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 85 invisible), 2,885 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,064
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.