Print Thread
Hop To
R
rflshtr Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Friend just returned from waterfowl hunt there and said he heard about ground squirrel shooting in fields with lots of target opportunities in the southern third of the province.

Looking for info from locals who can provide insight into where to start searching for info and how difficult it is for US residents to transport large quantities of ammo for personal use(not resale) into Canada. Based on friends stories, 1500 round days were not uncommon.

Any help appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
While you're checking...find out how much ammo you can import. I had heard it was a small amount ( 200 rounds)...don't know if thats correct or not, but it won't get you through a decent morning in the killing fields.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
That is my current understanding also, but the concern seemed to be on resale of larger quantities. Trying to figure out if there is a process for allowing larger quantities for personal use since three or four days will need over 5000 rounds if reports are correct on number of targets.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
That is my current understanding also, but the concern seemed to be on resale of larger quantities. Trying to figure out if there is a process for allowing larger quantities for personal use since three or four days will need over 5000 rounds if reports are correct on number of targets.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Now that your election is over, bumping back up hoping for some guidance.
Called and emailed government provided contacts and still waiting for a response after ten days.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm not sure about the quantity. You can purchase ammo here. Canada Border Services should be able to answer your questions. A hunter from Idaho hunted geese on my land about 10 years ago. He comes up every fall and stops in for a visit. He claims he has way more problems at the United States border going home than when he enters Canada. He brings guns ammo and dogs.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Google is your friend -

Importation, Exportation and Transportation In-Transit of Ammunition. Any individual can import up to 5,000 rounds of small arms cartridges into Canada without an import permit if they are for personal use (i.e., not for resale).Mar 14, 2018
Importation, Exportation and Transportation In-Transit of ...
https://www.nrcan.gc.ca › importing-exporting-and-transporting-transit › im...

And yes, I have also encountered more hassle into returning to the US than going into Canada, I stop at the US border station and document how many rounds or ammo I am leaving the US with so that if I have left over with I have documentation that I took it into Canada and am not importing it into the U.S.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
rflshtr: If you can afford to come to Canada to shoot gophers, don't worry about bringing ammunition. If you come to my area, and shoot with me, you wouldn't need to bring any guns either. I have five scoped CZ455 .22's, plus 2 each scoped CZ455 .17hmr and .22 mag. I also have a 10/22 scoped that has seen much gopher duty.

Some areas have a growing gopher population, and can provide some great shooting. I shoot at a young farmer's place. This Spring I spent five days and smoked around 1200+ with no fancy equipment, just guns, ammo and a small chair to sit on. PM me if you want more info.

Last edited by kjohn; 10/26/19.

If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell!
R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the help so far.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by drover
Google is your friend -

Importation, Exportation and Transportation In-Transit of Ammunition. Any individual can import up to 5,000 rounds of small arms cartridges into Canada without an import permit if they are for personal use (i.e., not for resale).Mar 14, 2018
Importation, Exportation and Transportation In-Transit of ...
https://www.nrcan.gc.ca › importing-exporting-and-transporting-transit › im...

And yes, I have also encountered more hassle into returning to the US than going into Canada, I stop at the US border station and document how many rounds or ammo I am leaving the US with so that if I have left over with I have documentation that I took it into Canada and am not importing it into the U.S.

drover

Good to know Drover.... if the killing fields are like ours, a guy could use 5000 rounds up in 3-4 days.....and Im talking centerfire...Im sure you can buy all the rimfire up there you'd need.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

F
F
I realize this is an old post but just wondering if you're still open to helping a guy out by showing me some spots in SW Saskatchewan where I can shoot some ground squirrels this summer. I'm getting tired of punching holes at the range with my 17HMR and I can't afford to shoot the 6.5 Creedmoor all the time. I was supposed to head out to a couple of spots south of Calgary in 2020 but with COVID, the guys I was supposed to go with cancelled due to COVID.

I'm from the Vancouver area and would drive out with my son. I've been vaccinated, toilet-trained, and I don't bite.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sure shot a passel of 'em on the old place. Shot so many i decided to start eating 'em.

Not bad.

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,544
Posts18,453,358
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.