Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Is that a lefty stock on a righty action?

Yes sir

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 7point62mag
Originally Posted by 79S
Fella I know up in Tok he swears by the 168 TTSX. every couple yrs he hits me up asking me to load him up 50 rds for him. (he uses a 300WSM). Its getting about that time again for him to hit me up. He uses that bullet on everything Moose, Sheep, Caribou and Brn Bear,.

I wonder why he uses such a light bullet in his .300 ? I wish they made the TTSX in 200 grain. If I had a .308 I'd use the 168, but I've always like the heavier bullets in my magnums.

There’s a fella on here that goes by John55, and he’s ran the 168 TTSX through about all BG here in NA from a 300 Win and Weatherby and swears it’s the best bullet for him from 0-500 yards. He messes around with others but he has the old standbye loads ready to roll though. Pretty good BC on them and being as they don’t lose much weight it’s hard to wanna go heavier unless you really need the BC.

Semper Fi
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 79S
Fella I know up in Tok he swears by the 168 TTSX. every couple yrs he hits me up asking me to load him up 50 rds for him. (he uses a 300WSM). Its getting about that time again for him to hit me up. He uses that bullet on everything Moose, Sheep, Caribou and Brn Bear,.

I wonder why he uses such a light bullet in his .300 ? I wish they made the TTSX in 200 grain. If I had a .308 I'd use the 168, but I've always like the heavier bullets in my magnums.

There’s a fella on here that goes by John55, and he’s ran the 168 TTSX through about all BG here in NA from a 300 Win and Weatherby and swears it’s the best bullet for him from 0-500 yards. He messes around with others but he has the old standbye loads ready to roll though. Pretty good BC on them and being as they don’t lose much weight it’s hard to wanna go heavier unless you really need the BC.

Is your name Scotty by chance?

But, yeah, I think prefer heavy. I like the 220 grain RN Interlock and Partitions. They are SUPER reliable as long as you arent going beyond 300 yards. I have never Hunter with a monolithic bullet, so i suppose the guarantee of 100% weight retention, can afford you more lienantcy with the lighter pills.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 79S

Is your name Scotty by chance?

But, yeah, I think prefer heavy. I like the 220 grain RN Interlock and Partitions. They are SUPER reliable as long as you arent going beyond 300 yards. I have never Hunter with a monolithic bullet, so i suppose the guarantee of 100% weight retention, can afford you more lienantcy with the lighter pills.

Mr. Scotty is exactly right. You are going to have to change your mindset when it comes to monos. Load light and fast. No need for a 200gr mono in anything 30 cal, except for maybe RUM etc. Monos and cc are way different. You cant even compare them to partitions. I run cc', bonded, partitions, interlocks etc heavy for caliber. I think id even draw the line at 180gr in my 300wby, when using the x bullets. 165/168 in lesser 300 magnums, and yes that includes the winny.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yep, the 168 TTSX is IMO the best in the fast 30s in my experience. In our rifles it is easier to get shooting than the 180s, and that has held true whether going 3100 or 3350. They penetrate big animals very well from all angles and it’s been pretty rare for us to not see the animal drop in their tracks. I’ve been using them since they hit the market and have yet to find another bullet that does anything better than they do for my hunting. Before these came out I used 200 partitions almost exclusively in the 300s and while they did very well these have surpassed them handily. And, they produce less recoil due to their lighter weight.

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by John55
Yep, the 168 TTSX is IMO the best in the fast 30s in my experience. In our rifles it is easier to get shooting than the 180s, and that has held true whether going 3100 or 3350. They penetrate big animals very well from all angles and it’s been pretty rare for us to not see the animal drop in their tracks. I’ve been using them since they hit the market and have yet to find another bullet that does anything better than they do for my hunting. Before these came out I used 200 partitions almost exclusively in the 300s and while they did very well these have surpassed them handily. And, they produce less recoil due to their lighter weight.

Isn't there a 165 and a 168 ? Why did they make two so close together?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

165 was designed for the 300 wsm. But a lot still use the 168 for the 300 wsm.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 79S

Was the 168 meant for the 300, or a 308? What about the LRX bullets? They have a 175, 190, and 200 in the LRX. They are made to expand down to 1300. Kind of seems like they would be fragile at close ranges.

Last edited by 7point62mag; 11/20/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79S

Was the 168 meant for the 300, or a 308? What about the LRX bullets? They have a 175, 190, and 200 in the LRX. They are made to expand down to 1300. Kind of seems like they would be fragile at close ranges.

The 200 grain LRX seems like an awesome bullet in my 300 RUM. I messed with them a little and they showed a bunch of promise. I don't see them as being fragile at all. Just a long slender nose on them and a big boattail. I still don't think they'd do much the 168 won't do, especially when your'e talking about the different launch speeds. I default to John about the Barnes mostly, since he has used a pile of them and I trust what he says in regards to killing bullets.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
IIRC, the 168 was first to hit the market and after trying the others I still prefer it in the 300s. Accuracy in our rifles has always been better than the 180s and the LRX versions I’ve tried didn’t do quite as well either. Haven’t tried them on game so can’t offer an opinion on that part. We did shoot a couple elk with the 180s and found them no better than the 168s.
A few years ago I had a 300 RUM and shot several of the 200 LRXs in it. They grouped very nicely and had I kept the rifle I’d have tried them on elk. IMO that bullet is too much unless it’s being shot from a 300 RUM or 30/378 Wby. It also needs a faster twist barrel than the lighter versions, which my other 300s don’t have.

Last edited by John55; 11/20/19.
IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I asked Barnes about using the LRX vs the TTSX. This is their reply.

Originally Posted by Barnes Bullets

As for the 180 gr TTSX that is the perfect bullet in your 300 Win Mag for close range as well as long range shots. The 180 gr TTSX only requires a minimum IMPACT velocity of 1500 fps to reliably expand. So out of a Win Mag that bullet will expand on game reliable from point blank range to over 1000 yards. Also with the weight retention of a Barnes Bullet a 180 gr TTSX will out penetrate any jacketed lead core bullet of 200 grains. A Barnes will penetrate 30 percent deeper than a jacket lead core bullet of equal weight. A 180 gr TTSX is plenty of bullet for any game in north America. Including Brown/grizzly bear. You would be amazed by the amount of customers we have using that bullet on Brown/grizzly bear. Due to the loss of velocity with the 200 gr LRX you actually would be losing performance.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
#Barnesliketogofast

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

John, here is what Barnes told me about the 165 vs 168.

All of our bullets are just as accurate as the next. The 165 gr TTSX will shoot just as good and accurate as the 168 gr TTSX. It all depends on the hand loader finding the best powder and load his rifle likes. The 165 gr TSX and TTSX has a shorter ogive and is designed for cartridges such as the 300 Win Mag. With the shorter ogive length and groove placement we are able to successfully seat the 165 gr TTSX down to the required SAAMI length for the 300 Win Mag with our factory ammo. The 168 gr TSX and TTSX has a longer sleeker ogive and different groove placement. It is designed for cartridges that can accept a longer ogive yet still be within the maximum SAAMI length 9such as a 308 Win or 30-06). Therefore due to the sleeker design, it has a higher ballistic coefficient than the 165 gr TTSX.

The 168 gr will also expand down to a lower 1500 fps than the 165 gr which needs 1800 fps.

However as a hand loader you can use either bullet in whatever 30 caliber cartridge you may have. A hand loader does not have to follow the SAAMI spec and can seat his bullet for the optimal COAL that his rifle likes best. If you have a 300 Win Mag with a detachable magazine that will not allow a loaded round to be any longer than the SAAMI spec of 3.340”  then you would need to use the 165 gr TSX or TTSX. If your rifle has plenty of room in the magazine, then you can use either weight. If you are into long range shooting then you would want to (if your rifle allows) use the 168 gr TTSX for the higher B.C. and lower velocity expansion. Another great bullet I recommend for long range and a magnum cartridge is the 175 gr LRX.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Good info! That said, even in my Win mag the 168 still delivers better accuracy than the 165 or the 180. The 175 LRX never showed me a lot in any of my 300s, but the 200 LRX did very well in the 300 RUM. Each rifle is different but in all of my various 300s that 168 is top shelf. I don’t even bother with the others any longer. And for an ‘06 the 150 TTSX does much the same. These bullets do love velocity and seem to work better the faster you drive them. They’ll hold together so don’t hesitate to drop down in weight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting about the expansion on the 168 TTSX.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Good info! That said, even in my Win mag the 168 still delivers better accuracy than the 165 or the 180. The 175 LRX never showed me a lot in any of my 300s, but the 200 LRX did very well in the 300 RUM. Each rifle is different but in all of my various 300s that 168 is top shelf. I don’t even bother with the others any longer. And for an ‘06 the 150 TTSX does much the same. These bullets do love velocity and seem to work better the faster you drive them. They’ll hold together so don’t hesitate to drop down in weight.

How much would you charge to load me up 10 of the 168's for my win mag? I understand people Leary of stuff like that, but I will make a public waiver, and one in PM to you with all my info.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sorry, but I won’t load ammo for anyone other than myself and family. You really need to have the rifle in hand to come up with a top performing load. I’d suggest contacting one of the small custom loading outfits like Superior or others. Or, find someone locally who reloads and ask them.

Last edited by John55; 11/21/19.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Sorry, but I won’t load ammo for anyone other than myself and family. You really need to have the rifle in hand to come up with a top performing load. I’d suggest contacting one of the small custom loading outfits like Superior or others. Or, find someone locally who reloads and ask them.

No worries man, no hard feelings. I understand completely!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,544
Posts18,453,358
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.