Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Any recommendations for a low power scope to use on a Ruger Deerfield? Something lightweight and up to 6-7x. Using it as a stalking gun for upstate NY. There’s a few power line cuts, logging roads, etc where the shots might reach out to 125yards but mainly woods use. Looking for something that will gather light and has clear glass. I have a couple leupolds in this range. Anyone making one that jumps ahead of the others?

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Weaver Classic K4 would be perfect.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I would suggest the Razor 1x6, If that is out of your price range then look at the Primary Arms 1x6 and 1x8.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

A Lewey Vari X3 1.5-5X20 would be about perfect for what you're looking for, IMHO. Don't let the 20mm objective scare you off. I have a few of these on various rifles that I've used in the Catskills for 30 years or more, and they gather plenty of light well before and after legal shooting hours. And the size balances perfectly with a Ruger 44. I had one on a Deluxe model with the fluted fore end and no barrel band that I foolishly gave to my nephew.

A lewey Vari X3 2-7X33 would be my second choice, though it doesn't balance quite as well.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd look seriously at one of the 1-4x20mm scopes, even the Weaver V-3 works very well I've used them for coyote and deer hunting for years.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

FOV is your friend for the type of hunting your are doing. Keep them on 1x,"There is always time to turn the power up never time to turn it down"

Last edited by erich; 10/27/19.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I used a 2.5x20 with heavy duplex reticle on mine and it worked great. It was my tight cover woods gun. A 4x33 or 6x36 wouldn’t scare me either.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Eagle
I was very hesitant about the small objective. They pull enough light in during legal shooting times on a rainy northern day?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
4x Meopta in the classifieds

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Meopta is sold

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by erich
I'd look seriously at one of the 1-4x20mm scopes, even the Weaver V-3 works very well I've used them for coyote and deer hunting for years.

FOV is your friend for the type of hunting your are doing. Keep them on 1x,"There is always time to turn the power up never time to turn it down"

I love Leupold 1-4s for this type of hunting. I’ve fired sub 1/2 moa groups with a German #1 on 1x (lots of luck, I’m sure), but point is: 4x is far more than enough to shoot a deer where you need to, to beyond 200, and I’ve shot running stuff with them, very quickly, from a few feet on out. I put them on all sorts of stuff, even turkey shotguns. They’re the lightest, most compact LPV I know of, that can be had in suitable speed/low light reticles. Eye box is very accommodating for still hunting, as well.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How's that Deerfield function and shoot?

They took them off the market before I ever saw one.

Anything from a fixed 2.5 to a 2-7 would be fine.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by hunter4623
Eagle
I was very hesitant about the small objective. They pull enough light in during legal shooting times on a rainy northern day?

Absolutely! As stated, I've been using them for over 30 years in every imaginable weather condition and never, not once, have I wished I had more light. Forgot to mention that I've only still hunted my entire life. As suggested by another poster here, I keep the mag dialed down to the low setting and dial up if the need arises. Good luck with your decision. Let us know which way you go.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Good info. I’ve had a couple 1x variable leupolds over the years but mostly on slug guns. I don’t do much shotgun hunting so I don’t have a bunch of varied field experience with them. I have a couple VXRs which I like. I’ll do some research between the VXR and 3XVi. The illuminated reticle is nice but I’m not sure which has better glass. They seem to be around the same price.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
It’s more about seeing the reticle.....20mm has plenty of light at 3-4x, but the regular duplex disappears to me in very low light. Heavy duplex, #4, or my favorite #1 for the 1-4 Leupold, IME.

I have both.....the VX-R illum is nice, but it’s not as light and compact as the 1-4. Neither is the trijicon accupoint 1.25-4, but it’s closer....if you want illum. The Trijicon triangle is VERY fast, and a smidge more precise on the tip than the Leupold German #1, but I use them both for the same purposes and distances, interchangeably.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 10/27/19.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Pappy
I love mine. I’ve been looking for a good deal on one for the last 5-6 years. Found some really nice ones up around $1k. Too rich for basically a big bore 10/22. Found lots of beat up ones around $700. Bided my time and came across one in exceptional shape. Widow had a friend sells her husbands guns. I got the gun for $750 and I don’t know if it’s had a box of ammo thru it. Perfect shape. I’m a bit hesitant to even drag it thru the woods but guns were made to be used and I’m going to use it. Came from the factory with a peep but in low light, snow, etc., it isn’t effective for my style of hunting. I’ve only shot it for function so far. Trigger is heavy. At some point, I’ll take it apart and do some smoothing of the surfaces. Heading to NY in a couple weeks. Well do some sighting in and see what she’s capable of. Hopefully we get some snow. Put on my wool, grab the carbine and hopefully score on a deer.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Whiskey
I’m a big fan of the #4. It’s either that or illuminated for me. I’ll be 46 next week and my eyes aren’t what they used to be so I’ll take any help I can get when the sun sets

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My weapon for hunting in the timber now. Target is 100 yards with factory PPV 139gr SP's. That is a Weaver K-1.5.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Try thatGerman #1 out.....it’s like a big, single plane open sight, when you need it, and about as easy to see in low light as anything ever made without illum

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hunter4623
Pappy
I love mine. I’ve been looking for a good deal on one for the last 5-6 years. Found some really nice ones up around $1k. Too rich for basically a big bore 10/22. Found lots of beat up ones around $700. Bided my time and came across one in exceptional shape. Widow had a friend sells her husbands guns. I got the gun for $750 and I don’t know if it’s had a box of ammo thru it. Perfect shape. I’m a bit hesitant to even drag it thru the woods but guns were made to be used and I’m going to use it. Came from the factory with a peep but in low light, snow, etc., it isn’t effective for my style of hunting. I’ve only shot it for function so far. Trigger is heavy. At some point, I’ll take it apart and do some smoothing of the surfaces. Heading to NY in a couple weeks. Well do some sighting in and see what she’s capable of. Hopefully we get some snow. Put on my wool, grab the carbine and hopefully score on a deer.

I had a 77/44 for a bit, killed a deer, and liked it, but it had a crappy trigger (which now I know a couple of ways to fix) and poor balance. Traded it towards a Lifetime Keeper Browning Low Wall .22 Hornet. My current .44 is another Low Wall with irons sights. Now, if I needed one easy to scope, I'd get another Henry Single Shot. Very nice rifles, and not just for the price. Not much point for me since the .308 and .44 are identical externally.

Within their range, .44s are hammers.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Millett SP-1

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by DigitalDan; 10/27/19.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 59 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,339
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.