Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Rifraz Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I know this subject has been heavily debated...I also know that these actions aren't the best for custom builds...But, I recently acquired several of these actions from a very close friend before he passed away...He loved the 7mm round as well as his sever custom built 257 Robert's and 257 improved rifles...He was a great friend to me as well as my sons, so with that I am wanting to build these actions for them in the 257 roberts...I am wanting these to be heavy barrel and more a target style tactical rifle...just something my sons can enjoy using and still have something to remember a friend.. Primarily I am looking for some suggestions on parts to do these builds...especially barrels and stocks...any suggestions are greatly appreciated..

GB1

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any "good" Barrel maker can supply you with a heavier .25 caliber barrel. Stocks, well, the choices are limited.

R
Rifraz Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thinking I may have to buy blank or semi inleted stock and finish them out...thanks for the response..

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Semi inlet most likely due to your wanting to use a heavy barrel. IMHO, the receiver is better suited to making a light weight sporter out of.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Ok, facts are facts: The 1916 Spanish Mauser is arguably at the bottom of the heap for use as in a custom Mauser sporter. I understand the emotional attachment to these actions of the OP's, and if they were mine I would polish them up, blue them, and mount them on walnut plaques with brass nameplates saying where they came from and who owned them. Then take the money saved and apply it toward more deserving projects or rifles and then use them at an annual "Remember XX Old Friend Memorial Shoot". I bet He would smile at that.

A 1916-based sporter in the end is just, well, a 1916 Spanish Mauser.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Ok, facts are facts: The 1916 Spanish Mauser is arguably at the bottom of the heap for use as in a custom Mauser sporter. I understand the emotional attachment to these actions of the OP's, and if they were mine I would polish them up, blue them, and mount them on walnut plaques with brass nameplates saying where they came from and who owned them. Then take the money saved and apply it toward more deserving projects or rifles and then use them at an annual "Remember XX Old Friend Memorial Shoot". I bet He would smile at that.

A 1916-based sporter in the end is just, well, a 1916 Spanish Mauser.

This

R
Rifraz Offline OP
OP Offline
R
That's not a bad idea...I personally love my 98's...my friend had a small ring in 6.5 x55 as well as 7mm...kids love going shooting with us and he would bring the 6.5 and let them shoot...don't know who had more fun...the kids or he and i... lol.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Used to see a fair amount of these in 7.62mm nato, but havent seen any in awhile

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a 1916 mod 93 mauser that I completely reworked. It was given to me by my dad when I was 12. I gave it to a nephew many years ago and he gave it back one day. It sat in the back of the safe for many years. Got injured at work and sat home bored and decided to work on it to give me something to do. Here is the link to it back when I finished it off in 2012. As I look back at the pictures I realize I never did finish up the bolt handle cutout in the stock. Really need to shape that up with some epoxy and touch up with paint.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...hed-my-mauser-in-257-roberts#Post6966776

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Spanish built Mausers aren't known for their quality, so anything built on that action, regardless of how well it is done, is likely to be a money pit that will never return your investment.

The only pre-1898 style of military Mauser that I will build on are late production Sweds.

If you have an emotional attachment to these actions because they belonged to your friend, I understand that there are times when emotions overwhelm logic.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rifraz
That's not a bad idea...I personally love my 98's...my friend had a small ring in 6.5 x55 as well as 7mm...kids love going shooting with us and he would bring the 6.5 and let them shoot...don't know who had more fun...the kids or he and i... lol.

Or lamps, whatever. Preserve the memories, but I doubt your friend would want you to toss a bunch of money down a rathole. Get your boys to help so they have sweat equity in the momentos.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Kilt my first deer ever with one of them things. Still have it. Mom got it for me for Christmas 1969. I think it was like $12.95 or something.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My Dad bought me one back in the late 60's, for something like $10 out of a co-workers car in the parking lot. When he got it home and we gave a good once-over we agreed it was not $10 well spent. It kicked around for a while and became the first gun I ever swapped away on something else (a Shrade hunting knife).

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Rifraz Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Lazydrifter...that's a beautiful build...that's basically what I am wanting to do but in a stock like Boyd's pro varmint...Love that boult shroud..

R
Rifraz Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I do appreciate the replies from everyone...as a family, we had a meeting...I told my boys what we were looking at if we decide to build these...explained the limited parts options and stock options...Also explained that we could use them to build them something to keep and remember our friend...At the end of the meeting, they were all still hardcore wanting to do these builds..Not only to be able to shoot them, but to remember the times we all spent together..Also, each one of them want to be involved and help with their particular build...I asked if they were totally certain of this decision and again explained what we were facing...They just looked at each other and together looked at me and said yes...I guess I'm about to start in with these builds...My friends widow called yesterday and said that she found 10 more of these actions and wanted us to have them...figure we can use those and build them something else...lamps, plaques, etc...

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I don’t blame ya. They’re expensive but there is a lot to be said for a rifle with sentimental value.

What LD did is great... run a Boyd’s instead and finish them yourselves and it’ll be extra special.

Just remember to always use the milder, “non +P” reloads.

What cartridge(s) are you planning to chamber them in?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gil Sengel did a couple of articles on an 1891 Argentine he turned into a SS .45acp plinker. Minimal cost, and great fun. He made a wooden loading trough for it.

Have fun, and good luck.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
250 Savage wouldn't be a bad option.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a half dozen or so of these. I picked them up for $15-$50 and rebuilt them. I used them to teach myself what to do and what NOT to do (I twisted one receiver). Most got Boyd's or some of the early ones got Reinhart wood. Adams and Bennett barrels, but also repurposed Rem 700 barrels worked for builds. I had a local machinist show me how to thread and chamber and he let me use his equipment when he wasn't using it. Even if I count my labor as free, I have $250-$300 into a $200 rifle. It is not about getting backwards into a gun but about gaining experience in working on them. The time that you spend with your family doing the builds will pay greater than any resale value could ever do. Build the extras into rifles - NEVER retire a rifle, unless it is just flat out UNSAFE. Even if the "10" extra take 20 years to complete, you'll have grand kids that want a rifle, by then.
Green Mountain will be the cheapest for new barrels. If you have access to a lathe, most any non-magnum bolt action barrel can be re-purposed for a SR Mauser. If you have to pay to have them re-threaded, new would be the way to go. I'll have to look, I may have a few 30 cal 700 barrels that I can thread for a 300 Savage build. Let me know if you want to do a 300.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
R
Rifraz Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I definitely appreciate the encouragement here...these will all be built I. 257 roberts... already have marvels removed and had my gunsmith check them out...from what he has said, he doesn't see any issues doing these builds and feels that 1 of the full batch (that includes the extra 10 that were also given) may be unfired altogether...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Brownells used to sell a selection of Mauser small ring after market barrels. I just checked their website and they only offer 3 calibers now.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Link

small ring barrels

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Think the Numrich barrels are all made by ER Shaw, I have 3 shaw barrels I bought from them for large ring 98's. All three finished up very nice.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I shorten the receiver, bolt, magazine, and firing pin on Spanish actions by about 3/4" and make rifles that use .223 or 7.62 X 39 based wildcat cartridges. They're light, handy, and very accurate. They get a lot of comments like "What in the world is that action?" at the firing range or by the hunters I meet in the woods.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

734 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 3,078 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,922
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.