Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
When looking at the Poly frame field, what's the value leaders?

Who's run a Canik, CZ, or FN, etc.?

No doubt S&W M&P has been a strong contender, what about others?

Last edited by 65BR; 10/27/19.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Used Glock

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by widrahthaar
Used Glock

There you go. If you're willing to go with .40 S&W, there are a ton of them on the market new and near new that are police trade ins, and going for between $300.00 and $400.00, and almost always with steel night sights installed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As mentioned in a previous thread, there has been a plethora of used SIG 320's floating around the market. Averaging $350 and irregardless of caliber that would be my first choice.

I bought a couple for a rainy day and have been extremely pleased with the overall package,

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Early this year I decided to try out some striker-fired guns, because though I was completely satisfied with the third gen Smiths I've been using forever, you can't hang a light on them and no one is doing slide work to mount an rmr as near as I could find, and I felt I needed to catch up with the times, and help out my aging eyes. I had resisted striker guns for a long time as my primary exposure was with Glocks, which you basically have to pay me to shoot as I find the grip completely non-ergonomic and I haven't liked the trigger on any one I've shot.

So I ended up with a couple CZ P-10Cs. The grip is very natural and comfortable, and the trigger is close to being excellent right out of the box. Those are really the two biggest factors for me, alongside reliability, and I haven't had any issues there at all. My understanding is that the CZs come in a good bit cheaper than a Glock, and have actual metal sights to boot.

I also ended up with a Steyr M9-A1, which if anything has a nicer grip and trigger than the CZ, and maybe the best sights I've ever had on a handgun (trapezoidal sights). The Steyrs are kinda hard to come by, and don't have that much aftermarket support. I also experienced some light strikes with S&B ammo, no problems otherwise.

You can find a bazillion videos on Youtube going into gory detail on both these guns and every other striker fired gun out there, it's good to see a lot of different perspectives.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M&P for around $300 after rebate. American made with a lifetime warranty.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
One of my sones just bought three of the Caniks, three different sizes. He's been playing with them....no real reports yet.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you amortize the cost of a $300 gun versus a $500 gun over 20,000 rounds, the difference per shot is 1 cent. How much is the ammo? You can play with a calculator to vary the amount of rounds you intend to shoot from it or the amount you spend for each.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
If you amortize the cost of a $300 gun versus a $500 gun over 20,000 rounds, the difference per shot is 1 cent. How much is the ammo? You can play with a calculator to vary the amount of rounds you intend to shoot from it or the amount you spend for each.

Very true.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
" American made with a lifetime warranty."

How does one amortize an American job?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No flies on the FN. it would be my second choice after a Glock, in a full sized hi-cap 9 mm Polymer framed pistol.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The Sig 320 is American made now the 320 is a good gun, the smiths are good guns, it’s kind of hard to go wrong with any of the bigger name brands. I have wanted to try the Cz for some time but too many other projects! if I knew nothing I would get a G19, it’s never a mistake, OTOH research it shoot them and find one you like.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC

Heck, you can get a Shield w/3.125" barrel, 9mm for just $199 right now, with the $50 rebate.

https://grabagun.com/smith-and-wess...actTarget&utm_campaign=Daily%20Email

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm tempted to buy the Steyr so that every time TRH mentions his Grock I can post up "high bore axis"...

But then, maybe I'll just leave all the "bore factor" to him...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have handled some Canik and SIG 320s that had triggers rivaling a match-tuned 1911. The Caniks can be had CHEAP, less than the price of a cop-trade-in M&P, if you shop around.

I bought an M&P from Bud's about 3 years ago, it's been flawless, but it's trigger is nothing to be proud of. I can shoot it, but the concentration it takes will wear you out. I've handled some SIG 320s with great triggers, but you have to sort thru them to find the good ones, and they aren't cheap like Caniks.

I'll stick with the M&P, because it's paid for, and I have a wad of magazines for it already (part of the deal when I bought it), but if I were starting from scratch, I'd sure look at the Caniks and SIGs.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I bought a Beretta APX FDE for $399.99, with a factory $100 rebate and sales tax added in I paid, $329.99. I don't think that the rebate is still running.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The SCCY has gotten a lot of bad press due to the fact the trigger sucks, plus jams. I have one that would jam at least once every mag if not twice. Talked to the service department about it and they sent a new extractor and mags. Swapped out the extractor and the pistol has now functioned 750 rounds without a hiccup. 115, 124 and 147 all fed, fired and extracted perfect. Seems the extractor was to large and the fail to feed jams were due to the round hanging up on the base of the extractor. Trigger reset still sucks so it won’t replace my G26 or my 1911’s anytime soon but it does function and does hit poa.
Old extractor on the left next to new one.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I like FN. Have shot thousands of cast and jacketed through an FNS-9. Handloads and factory rounds. Few if any issues (I don’t recall any at the moment). Accurate pistol.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I have handled some Canik and SIG 320s that had triggers rivaling a match-tuned 1911. The Caniks can be had CHEAP, less than the price of a cop-trade-in M&P, if you shop around.

My Canik TP9SFx is pretty much right there with only a couple spring changes (Glock 6lb striker spring and reduced power plunger spring) and is one of the most accurate 9mm pistols I've ever fired. The reset is very short too, like a good single action trigger should be.

I'm not sure how you get there with a 320 though; mine had a GreyGuns trigger and springs, and while the trigger wasn't bad, it was still not in the same league as my Canik or a decent 1911. I'm sure some are able to get there, but it must take a bit more $$$ and fiddling. That GreyGuns trigger was in the same ballpark as my best Glock triggers, meaning it's pretty decent for a striker fired gun but you still know they are striker fired, unlike the Canik.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
To me the biggest difference between the Canik and tricked sigs, and blocks (sorry Freudian slip) is the reset. Canik beats them all.

Current Glocks 19,20,23Comp,38,17L,34,35
Current M&P shield 40,2.0
Sig 320 357 sig.
Canik 2 SFX Delta point, venom, 1 Elite.

Canik best buy in the market.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Yondering

My Canik TP9SFx is pretty much right there with only a couple spring changes (Glock 6lb striker spring and reduced power plunger spring) and is one of the most accurate 9mm pistols I've ever fired. The reset is very short too, like a good single action trigger should be.

I'm not sure how you get there with a 320 though; mine had a GreyGuns trigger and springs, and while the trigger wasn't bad, it was still not in the same league as my Canik or a decent 1911. I'm sure some are able to get there, but it must take a bit more $$$ and fiddling. That GreyGuns trigger was in the same ballpark as my best Glock triggers, meaning it's pretty decent for a striker fired gun but you still know they are striker fired, unlike the Canik.

I looked at two different 320s at different shops, both were already set up with Romeo sights and were "match-ready" for lack of another description, they were the X models, I guess. I didn't want to buy one then, but I've warmed up to them a bit. I'm still a 1911 guy at heart, and probably always will be. I am objective enough to be able to appreciate the new stuff, though.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

I'm still a 1911 guy at heart, and probably always will be.

I feel the same way, but have ended up with a lot more striker fired plastic in the safe than 1911's these days for various reasons, and a G19 in my belt.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
No flies on the FN. it would be my second choice after a Glock, in a full sized hi-cap 9 mm Polymer framed pistol.

Me too.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
- used Glock. Hard to argue with that... Prices are low. Qyality is proven. Goodies are everywhere. I own a Gen3 G22 refurb that I paid around $250 for a few years back that someone kindly broke in for me. By wearing out the frame. Now its perfect.

- Canik TP9. I've just started playing around with mine. Shoots well. Love the trigger. Definitly not a "block" in my hand. Paid $200 used (99%?) at a local store and it came with the goodie box.
I'd buy another tomorrow at that price and believe it or not I'd rather have the V2 version than the SA I have. I suddenly like a DA/SA when the trigger is this good. I wouldn't have said that until the Walther/Canik trigger.

- FN. No experience but some of my shooter friends do and have a very good opinion of them. I hear that they hold up well at the rental places too.

- P320. Shot one a little. It suits my hand and I like it a lot for accuracy and easy shooting. Trigger is easy enough but doesn't really have a "feel" to it. At least not to me. No opinion past that.

- M&P9. No experience but I hear a lot of very different things.

- SD9. A real dark horse, but... while the Sigma flat out sucked, the SD9 (or the "value" version SD9VE) seem to be a lot better. The SD9 needs the Apex trigger upgrade if you ask me but I've handled a few lately and I was very surprised at the fit. Not SIG-like but pretty good. Much, much better than a Sigma.
So I started reading around and found also surprised but positive feedback on them. They are truly low cost - think $150/175 if you look around, plus $55 for the Apex setup if you want it.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnw
I'm tempted to buy the Steyr so that every time TRH mentions his Grock I can post up "high bore axis"...

That would leave you wide open for "track record".

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I had a CZ P07 in 9mm. I never should have traded. I shot that pistol very well.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
one thing about the sig p320-m17 is the safety.
i called apex a few weeks ago, they do not have an aftermarket trigger kit as the safety interfers with their kit.
i measured with a guage a 7pound trigger pull on it. was trying to figure out a way to reduce it.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by kragman1

- Canik TP9. I've just started playing around with mine. Shoots well. Love the trigger. Definitly not a "block" in my hand. Paid $200 used (99%?) at a local store and it came with the goodie box.
I'd buy another tomorrow at that price and believe it or not I'd rather have the V2 version than the SA I have. I suddenly like a DA/SA when the trigger is this good. I wouldn't have said that until the Walther/Canik trigger.

About the Caniks, for those who don't know - some models have DA/SA triggers, and others (like the TP9SFx) are SA only. I'm sure the trigger feel varies between them; I've only used the SA version.
My SFx is good enough that it's got me considering an SF Elite model as well. Only thing holding me back is the stupid new gun laws here in WA.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Hindering - my experience is that the SA trigger on both the DA and SA only guns is the same, and that the DA guns just add the DA option.
I haven't done this side by side though, just my impression.

So far, I enjoy the Canik SA

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff - on the M&P comment on the trigger, would you say it's - 'Mushy/spongy?'

Thanks.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the canik compact elite is very tempting for the price, it is 1.45 inches thick they say, compare to a G21 at 1.34, however for the money it would still be a great gun. Just for fun a 2 x 4 is nominally 1.5 inches thick..

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jimmy I watched some reviews on that one earlier, look nice.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
one thing about the sig p320-m17 is the safety.
i called apex a few weeks ago, they do not have an aftermarket trigger kit as the safety interfers with their kit.
i measured with a guage a 7pound trigger pull on it. was trying to figure out a way to reduce it.

They are available both with or without a manual safety.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
One thing to remember about the less popular models is that it is harder to find holsters and other accessories, along with spare parts down the road.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Beretta announced a lowering of prices on the APX series of pistols. The msrp on the APX is $399 and the lowest allowable advertised price is $329. It looks like Beretta is trying to get market share for the APX line. At that price, with the level of quality the Beretta has, it is an awesome value.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the info on the APX - look pretty good, nice review by Hickok45

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot an APX last week. It was horrendous. Terrible trigger, terrible sights, and the recoil spring is ridiculously heavy. It’s so oversprung the recoil feels much heavier than it should.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 65BR
Good stuff - on the M&P comment on the trigger, would you say it's - 'Mushy/spongy?'

Thanks.

I’ve shot quite a few of the 2.0 triggers and a LOT of the original M&Ps. The new trigger design is much better and more consistent gun-to-gun. I wouldn’t describe the 2.0 triggers as mushy/spongy at all.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
When the Canik tp9sf first arrived I mention how great they was in the value most of you f****** laughed at me now you're praising them. You're kind of slow to catch on sometimes. I have an Elite model and sfx and SF the only thing that comes close to these in a factory gun is Walther PPQ which by not coincidence many parts are interchangeable eith the canik. As should be noted the canex came with some growing pains from a early models are triggers could very some all the way to the SF bottle after that they've been pretty consistent except in some specialty guns

Last edited by ldholton; 11/04/19.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Bluedreaux, I am interested in your opinions on the trigger and sights on the APX. For me the APX is replacing my 92F as a primary handgun. The trigger is not as good the single action on my 92F, but neither is any other polymer striker fired pistol in my opinion. Is it to heavy, too much creep, mushy, too long a reset?.For a factory trigger on a polymer striker fired gun, I think that it's okay. In my opinion it's better than a G17 or M&P 2.0 trigger, but probably not as good as VP9 or PPQ. To me the sights are good for factory standard sights, and they are steel not plastic, but I probably will replace them with tritium night sights at some point in the future. One problem that the APX does have is poor aftermarket support, It's definitely not a Glock, S&W or Sig when it comes to accessories available for it. Thanks

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by ldholton
When the Canik tp9sf first arrived I mention how great they was in the value most of you f****** laughed at me now you're praising them. You're kind of slow to catch on sometimes. I have an Elite model and sfx and SF the only thing that comes close to these in a factory gun is Walther PPQ which by not coincidence many parts are interchangeable eith the canik. As should be noted the canex came with some growing pains from a early models are triggers could very some all the way to the SF bottle after that they've been pretty consistent except in some specialty guns

People are definitely slow to catch on and most of them tend to follow whatever the current trend is; gun forums are no exception. I do understand some of the objection to Canik though since they are from Turkey which is a primarily Muslim country with a somewhat unpleasant history; some guys just don't want to support that and I get it.

FWIW though I wasn't one of the guys laughing at you; I'd been hearing good things about these for a couple years before I got one. You're right about the PPQ comparison, and the Walther analog to the TP9SFx is the Q5 (the PPQ competition model). They are very similar, and a number of people on the competition forums (like BE Forum) who own both have said their Canik is at least as accurate or better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
Bluedreaux, I am interested in your opinions on the trigger and sights on the APX. For me the APX is replacing my 92F as a primary handgun. The trigger is not as good the single action on my 92F, but neither is any other polymer striker fired pistol in my opinion. Is it to heavy, too much creep, mushy, too long a reset?.For a factory trigger on a polymer striker fired gun, I think that it's okay. In my opinion it's better than a G17 or M&P 2.0 trigger, but probably not as good as VP9 or PPQ. To me the sights are good for factory standard sights, and they are steel not plastic, but I probably will replace them with tritium night sights at some point in the future. One problem that the APX does have is poor aftermarket support, It's definitely not a Glock, S&W or Sig when it comes to accessories available for it. Thanks

Triggers are pretty subjective. If you have tried one and like it, that's all I'd worry about. The one they sent us for T&E had the longest, mushiest, heaviest trigger I've ever pulled. Like a DA revolver, but with the internals full of rice crispy treats. But that's a sample of one.

The front sight is too wide and not proportional to the rear notch. It needs more gap on either side. But if it's getting replaced it doesn't matter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Glocks are made in Georgia. Does that count?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Bluedreaux, thanks for your insight. My APX is also only a sample of 1.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter

Glocks are made in Georgia. Does that count?

Sure. But I wasn't talking about Glock, I was talking about Smith & Wesson.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Speaking of Glocks, currently, are any coming out of Austria anymore?

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Once you shoot a Canik, you’ll never go back.

Dennis

Lets start over and talk about something you know about, like Mexican food.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Speaking of Glocks, currently, are any coming out of Austria anymore?

Yes, it still seems to be at least 50% imports.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Tackleman
Once you shoot a Canik, you’ll never go back.

I wouldn't go that far. I like mine and it shoots really well, but I'm still carrying Glocks and don't have any plans to switch.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Palmetto State Armory has the Glock 19 at $399.99.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/glock-19-gen-3-talo-exclusive-9mm-pistol-black-g1915us.html

If that helps.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Thanks.

I’ve shot quite a few of the 2.0 triggers and a LOT of the original M&Ps. The new trigger design is much better and more consistent gun-to-gun. I wouldn’t describe the 2.0 triggers as mushy/spongy at all.

I agree on the M&P 2.0 triggers...............mine (out of the box) is as good as any of my worked over Glocks.

MM

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
All good stuff folks, no doubt the 2.0 stepped it up....

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
As far as polymer/striker fired guns, I’ve owned Glocks, M&Ps,and P320s. Honestly, any of them will work. They aren’t so dramatically different to me that I couldn’t make due. I will say, the P320 is the least comfortable for me to shoot. Mine is a 9mm full size that I eventually put into an X-Carry frame. The takedown lever seems to hit the tip of my thumb. The gun also feels more “flippy” than the M&Ps or Glocks I own.

I’ll always own a Glock 17 and a Glock 22. I’ve been carrying M&P 2.0s a lot lately. I have a 5-inch 9mm, a 4.25-inch 40, and a 4-inch 45 “compact”. The 2.0 45 “compact” has been a real winner. Fits in 9/40 holsters and shoots soft for a 45.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff, thanks.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son stole my M&P M2.0 3.6" the other day. I'm going to order another.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
CZ makes a very well built line of handguns, both polymer and metal. Some pretty experienced guys shoot them, along with their Glocks, 1911s, and H&Ks.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
JOG. Hate that but yes they are solid.
Mackay indeed they have an impressive line up - about everything they make!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At $200 the M&P Shield 9mm is an even stronger contender as a value leader if you're looking for a CCW. I think mine was more than a good value at around $300.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two Shield 1.0, and they are top shelf for a carry pistol in my opinion. The kicker is they were 250 or so. Pretty great bang for the buck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a bunch of Glocks and Sigs and love both of those OEMs. Recently I shot one of our son's Canik TP9SF and came away very impressed with the trigger as well as the shop that is producing them in Turkey after some research. Just a month ago that son had also purchased the Elite Canik and we shot that together as well. It was a "smoothed up" G19 in feel to me. Now there is even a smaller version called the SC I think. Apparently it is designed to compete with the P365 and the Hellcat while being a whisper larger all the way around.

I recently bought a Canik TP9SF and have been very pleased with the trigger, the trigger reset, and the overall quality of the shooter. It is comparable, to me, to a G17 and does well in that comparison.

I'm not sure if I will be buying the Elite or the SC model in the near future but not sure either if there will be many more Glocks bought then either.

Canik is a great value, not the best shooter nor the more accurate, simply the best value. IMHO

Last edited by Redhill; 12/14/19.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Redhill

Canik is a great value, not the best shooter nor the more accurate, simply the best value. IMHO

By every report, including my own, the Canik TP9SFx is one of the best shooters and one of the most accurate on the market right now for anything under $1,000. It's also got one of the best triggers on the market, although most of the PPQ series is similar in that regard. A number of guys who own both reported on another forum that they felt the Canik was even more accurate than their Walther Q5 pistols, which is what that Canik model pretty much copied.

Don't know about the other Canik models, but the competition model has a lot more going for it than just value.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the info. The market keeps getting more crowded, quality going up, price wars 😁
Surely Production costs are lower with poly frames.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

333 members (163bc, 22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 29 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,748
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.