-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was offered a decent deal on what I believe will be a good "hunter" grade drilling. It will be about a pound lighter than one with a steel receiver, this being a Dural gun. The scope is a lighter 4X, and it's a "short drilling" with the 23.75" barrels. It's a Josef Fegers gun from the late 1930's and is in the usual 16ga/65mm and 8X57JR, a round for which I have a lifetime supply of ammo (I'm old grin ).

It's supposed to arrive tomorrow, and every one coming seems like Christmas to me. I love these guns.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That’s a beauty! Always wanted one.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I can arrange that. whistle

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I can arrange that. whistle

Thanks. I’ve got to hit the Lotto first. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That looks like a winner.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's been hunted, but it's still tight and accurate. With the scope it tips the scale at exactly 7 pounds, nice and light.

I had a few minutes to shoot it before dark. I set up a piece of OSB scrap and aimed at a yellow spot on it; shot 100 yards, elbows leaning on the truck hood. Three shots came in at 1.5 inches and about 2.8 inches high. The first two were real close, and the third walked up to 10 o'clock 1.5 inch away with factory S&B ammo. I didn't let it cool down. The shotgun shot about IM both barrels. The triggers are very nice with the front set trigger at about 10 ounces.

It's a little scruffy, but it isn't beat up, and it shoots great. It's a nice trim little gun that'll be a joy to carry.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An observation, Game isn't impressed by how it looks but by how it shoots. Go forth and slay the beasts.

Make mine a Minaska

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
65mm? Thats not 2 3/4 is it?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blairvt
65mm? Thats not 2 3/4 is it?

more like 2 9/16

I shoot 1 oz 2 3/4" field loads in these guns and have for 60 years. We also used to load the rifle ammo with 170gr 32Spl bullets back when we couldn't get .318 diameter bullets. Most bores are .319 to .321. They're low pressure rounds to start with, and the bullets size to the bore at first movement into it, before pressures have spiked. My most accurate loads overall have been using the 170 .321s.

These have become a favorite of mine for my older 16s.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[s][/s]I have enough 65mm 16's that I set up a MEC 600 for them, MEC has a short shell kit that isn't too expensive. BPI an Graf's usually have 65mm hulls in stock. I fold crimp my target and bird shells and roll crimp my 1 oz NP BB's for coyote hunting. I've gotten to the point I don't load any 2 3/4" shells for target or bird hunting even in my 12's and have a short shell kit in my 12ga reloader also.

MEC with short shell kit installed, easily made with some 1/4" thick aluminum bar stock.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by erich; 10/30/19.

Make mine a Minaska

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by erich
[s][/s]I have enough 65mm 16's that I set up a MEC 600 for them, MEC has a short shell kit that isn't too expensive. BPI an Graf's usually have 65mm hulls in stock. I fold crimp my target and bird shells and roll crimp my 1 oz NP BB's for coyote hunting. I've gotten to the point I don't load any 2 3/4" shells for target or bird hunting even in my 12's and have a short shell kit in my 12ga reloader also.

MEC with short shell kit installed, easily made with some 1/4" thick aluminum bar stock.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I'm far too important a person with far too little time to load my own. I'm also the humblest person I know. whistle whistle whistle

Great set up!! cool cool

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very nice.. Something I have never owned.. Seen very few of them.. Enjoy!!

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Bruce, good to see that you are still in this game! Very nice drilling you picked up. I am SO close to having my BBF finished, picked up 4 boxes of Winchester AA reduced load low recoil 20 gauge shells just yesterday. Plenty of factory S&B 6.5x52r rounds for now. You wouldn’t believe what I paid for it, but going to tell you anyway. $26 for 6 full boxes! I figured it had to be a mistake on the auction listing but it wasn’t. Only thing left is to adjust the trigger bars where they contact the Greener crossbolt safety, i need to shape them so they are solid on safe and clear on fire.
Take care, chaz

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cotis
Bruce, good to see that you are still in this game! Very nice drilling you picked up. I am SO close to having my BBF finished, picked up 4 boxes of Winchester AA reduced load low recoil 20 gauge shells just yesterday. Plenty of factory S&B 6.5x52r rounds for now. You wouldn’t believe what I paid for it, but going to tell you anyway. $26 for 6 full boxes! I figured it had to be a mistake on the auction listing but it wasn’t. Only thing left is to adjust the trigger bars where they contact the Greener crossbolt safety, i need to shape them so they are solid on safe and clear on fire.
Take care, chaz

I have to admit that I admire your talent. I can't wait to see the finished restoration...and you stole that ammo. wink

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Very nice.. Something I have never owned.. Seen very few of them.. Enjoy!!

We need to get you into one. wink wink

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (35, 01Foreman400, 69sportfury, 2UP, 300jimmy, 17 invisible), 1,387 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,134
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.