Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
fe1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Is there any reason a FFL in Texas should open the packaging of a firearm before the customer arrives and has an on site inspection of the item that was purchased?

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They're going to have to make sure the firearm matches the one they're supposed to be getting...make sure it's the right model, serial number, etc. No real reason to open it before the customer gets there or to open it themselves that I know of, just a reason to look at it and make sure it is what it is supposed to be. "Inspection" implies checking it for operation, condition, etc. Unless that was part of the deal, the FFL would just look at it and make sure it's the right gun they're logging in.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can see the FFL doing it as soon as it gets there just for convenience, their store policy, etc. Sometimes folks who essentially use and FFL holder to obtain a certain gun may not get there for several hours or even days. There may be a time limit on returns with the other party, especially if they are a dealer also. I would think that wouldn't apply though if it is the wrong gun. But again, though I know of no law or reg mandating they open it before the customer gets there, there may be good reasons to do so.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
They never open mine until I’m there to pick it up

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In order to log the firearm into the A&D log, a smart FFL will verify the make/ model/ and serial number by taking the info off the firearm. Sloppy FFL's will just use the invoice, which could contain transposed serial numbers, etc. Another reason could be to catch shipping damage and get notification to the customer so a timely claim can be filed.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
IC B2

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm not in Texas but every FFL I have used has opened the box prior to me picking it up. I have no issue with that.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by WTF
I'm not in Texas but every FFL I have used has opened the box prior to me picking it up. I have no issue with that.

Not in Texas, but same answer.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fe1
Is there any reason a FFL in Texas should open the packaging of a firearm before the customer arrives and has an on site inspection of the item that was purchased?

They have to log it into their books.
That means actually looking at it to confirm the description and serial numbers
They are supposed to do it by the end of the business day for each firearm they receive.

FFLs are required to make entries in their A&D record in accordance with 27 CFR § 478.125(e)

The Acquisitions and Dispositions book, also known as the A&D book, is the most relevant archive tool for FFL license holders. In this book, each and every gun purchased by a FFL holder is evidenced. The archive also includes data on every fire weapon.

The information that an A&D book stores is:
producer or international merchant/ importer
model
serial number
kind of firearm
caliber or gauge
data received
name, address & FFL of person or company from whom you have acquired the weapon.
date of distribution
name & address of person or company to whom it went
address or FFL of person or company to whom it was transferred

Last edited by Snyper; 10/27/19.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
In order to log the firearm into the A&D log, a smart FFL will verify the make/ model/ and serial number by taking the info off the firearm. Sloppy FFL's will just use the invoice, which could contain transposed serial numbers, etc. Another reason could be to catch shipping damage and get notification to the customer so a timely claim can be filed.
All correct. Another reason is that we often get guns shipped in where the customer didn't bother to tell us it was coming. We have to open it up to get contact information. The stupidest thing is that most of the time, they aren't even a regular customer, we just happen to be the closest dealer. I gave up asking them "would you buy something on line and have it shipped to a neighbor down the street without telling them that it was coming?".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
UPhiker- I feel your pain, but what is even worse is the little Russian fella who showed up 5 minutes after the FedEx delivery asking if he can get his gun. Incidentally, it was 4 hours outside of opening time. I told him this wasn't McDonald's for guns.

This is the result of Brownell's, Sportsman's Guide, etc. having an FFL database.

IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
UPhiker- I feel your pain, but what is even worse is the little Russian fella who showed up 5 minutes after the FedEx delivery asking if he can get his gun. Incidentally, it was 4 hours outside of opening time. I told him this wasn't McDonald's for guns.

This is the result of Brownell's, Sportsman's Guide, etc. having an FFL database.

Yeah, that too. People track their packages and think that it's ready to pick up 2 minutes after it's delivered. We tell them that we'll call them when it's ready. We may get in 40-50 guns a day (most for stock) but they think that their package is our only (and most important) package. Then there are the ones whose phone number is inoperative or the mailbox isn't set up. We tried, it'll sit here until they call us. Or the ones that you leave a detailed message on their voicemail who call back and say "somebody called from there, what do you want?". We ask "didn't you listen to your voicemail?". "No, I never listen to it".

Last edited by UPhiker; 10/27/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ha- classics!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not in Texas either but my lgs opens mine to log them in before I get there.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I notify the customer once the package has arrived. I ask him then whether he wants me to verify or wait until we can do so together. I never take it upon myself to do so without permission.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I never take it upon myself to do so without permission.
It's not theirs until they pass a background check and pay the transfer fee. No reason to get their permission. We may be a little lenient if it's a high grade gun, but for the run of the mill types, we open and verify. Once or twice, we had to tell the customer that the paperwork and gun didn't match (S/n) and we couldn't transfer it until we straightened it out.

F
fe1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I notify the customer once the package has arrived. I ask him then whether he wants me to verify or wait until we can do so together. I never take it upon myself to do so without permission.

I feel that’s the proper most respectful way to do it.
The gun certainly doesn’t belong to the ffl it was sent to.
Unless the package shows signs of damage I don’t see why there is any reason why the ffl should open it when knowing the customer will be prompt in picking up the item.
Suppose the ffl opens the package and drops the firearm or accidentally damages the item? I see that opening the door for a dishonest ffl not to take responsibility for any damage that could occur. Not to mention taking things out of the package and saying it wasn’t in the package.
There are dishonest ffl’s out there just like there are dirty cops, lawyers, judges or any other professionals or tradesmen. It’s sad but they do exist.

F
fe1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I never take it upon myself to do so without permission.
It's not theirs until they pass a background check and pay the transfer fee. No reason to get their permission. We may be a little lenient if it's a high grade gun, but for the run of the mill types, we open and verify. Once or twice, we had to tell the customer that the paperwork and gun didn't match (S/n) and we couldn't transfer it until we straightened it out.

It certainly doesn’t belong to the ffl it was sent to. Unless the package is damaged and there is reason to suspect damages to the item there should be no reason to open it unless the ffl has contacted the customer and confirmed a delay in pick up.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes, the gun must be taken into the ffl’s possession and logged into their system. Even though you paid for the gun, it’s not yours until you go through and pass the NICS check and the gun is transferred into your possession. How would a high volume dealer know what’s in the box until they open it?

F
fe1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
Yes, the gun must be taken into the ffl’s possession and logged into their system. Even though you paid for the gun, it’s not yours until you go through and pass the NICS check and the gun is transferred into your possession. How would a high volume dealer know what’s in the box until they open it?

By opening it upon the customers arrival unless the customers arrival is delayed beyond a reasonable time frame to get the firearm logged in a timely manner.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FFL has to log it.

I would not trust documentation, I would have to see the serno on the firearm. And I would do so ASAP, before I contacted the customer. This keeps the FFL right with tthe ATF and if the paperwork is FUBARed the FFL can inform the customer and waste as little of everyone's time as possible.

I have been signed for beau coup firearms in times past and serno checks on the firearm are the right way to do it.

FFL is under no obligation to get cross-wise with the ATF because the customer desires it.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
150 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 673, 18 invisible), 1,917 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.