Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
badger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Notice the quotation marks. To me, a custom rifle is one that is not built on a mass produced action like a Remington, Winchester, Sako etc etc action. Rather one that uses something like a BAT or Kelby action. That said, I have a few rifles that are Remington action based, with aftermarket triggers and barrels and stocks. The actions have been blueprinted and the rifles were built by Mickey Coleman. A few of these rifles are duplicates and hardly ever see the light of day, and they all shoot very, very well. I also have an itch to scratch with another rifle that I want, and was considering putting a couple of mine on the market. Chamberings run the gamut from 243AI through 250AI and 7-08AI. Obviously to me they are worth more than a stock rifle would be. The question is, how much more, and as a rule of thumb, how much more would they be worth as a percentage of a stock rifle's value?

Yes, I know the question is a little vague absent the details of each rifle, but discussion is invited.

Last edited by badger; 10/28/19.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
For me, value would be highly dependent on who did the gunsmithing. A rifle built from a reputable gunsmith should be worth more than one cobbled together from a garage gun plumber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The market is soft, and extremely soft for rifles with production actions. You’re likely going to get hosed selling, but I figure you already know this already...

Things that will help mitigate the price reduction is chambering, barrel manufacture/twist and rifle builder. Obviously, condition and rounds down the pipe will be a plus/minus.

If you enjoyed your builds and got to use them a bunch, the small loss maybe won’t be as bad...That’s what I tell myself at least.

GLWYS

😎

There is full customs that are not selling for 45% of their build price, right now...If that helps

Last edited by Beaver10; 10/28/19.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 regarding the market being soft right now, not the time to be selling any kind of custom rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you sell them as a complete rifle, you will not get close to what you have in it, if you are lucky 50%. I have done the same and found if I parted it out I got significantly more money. I would sell the action, barrel, stock, trigger, and scope bases separately.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Custom rifle: noun; "something you spend money on to reduce its value".

I'm in the same boat. Have a LH M700 with Pac-Nor barrel done up by Mickey that is sitting alone and unused, but there's no way I'd get anything more than basic M700 prices for it and the fact that it is an aftermarket barrel - even though by outward appearances it is a stock M700 BDL - actually reduces the desirability to potential buyers.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Price is what you pay, value is what you get.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 16bore

Buffett.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by 16bore

Buffett.

Only when crab legs are all you can eat...😛😎

“Molon Labe”
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
What’s a “t” amongst friends?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by badger
Notice the quotation marks. To me, a custom rifle is one that is not built on a mass produced action like a Remington, Winchester, Sako etc etc action. Rather one that uses something like a BAT or Kelby action. That said, I have a few rifles that are Remington action based, with aftermarket triggers and barrels and stocks. The actions have been blueprinted and the rifles were built by Mickey Coleman. A few of these rifles are duplicates and hardly ever see the light of day, and they all shoot very, very well. I also have an itch to scratch with another rifle that I want, and was considering putting a couple of mine on the market. Chamberings run the gamut from 243AI through 250AI and 7-08AI. Obviously to me they are worth more than a stock rifle would be. The question is, how much more, and as a rule of thumb, how much more would they be worth as a percentage of a stock rifle's value?

Yes, I know the question is a little vague absent the details of each rifle, but discussion is invited.

They can be excellent value on the used gun market.....good customized big game rifle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
What’s a “t” amongst friends?

Laffin...Idk, 🤷🏽‍♀️ Crab legs could make a poor investment portfolio not seem so bad 😬😎

“Molon Labe”
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Laffin! grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One year I was walking to the SCI show in Vegas and found one of those rolled , flattened pennies with the Lord's Prayer or some other saying stamped into it.
I picked it up and showed it to a few of my good friends in the custom gun making field and said it remind d me of a custom rifle. Someone had taken a penny, spent 50 cents modifying it, and ended up with less than they started with.

But I still love my custom rifles !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
There are lots of nice cheap customs on GunBroker from time to time

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Right now there is a rifle in Texas that has everything and its dirt cheap. I will put the link on and I betcha its sold in a day if its not already sold.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...ting-rifle-30-06cal.cfm?gun_id=100810575

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beauty and features in a rifle are similar to those of wives. Everyone has their own tastes and desires.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by badger

They can be excellent value on the used gun market.....good customized big game rifle

Wish I had a need for that beauty.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by barm
If you sell them as a complete rifle, you will not get close to what you have in it, if you are lucky 50%. I have done the same and found if I parted it out I got significantly more money. I would sell the action, barrel, stock, trigger, and scope bases separately.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

And if it is a mass produced action, especially if "customizing" a factory rifle the rule of thumb is whatever you spent on it...deduct that from the price of the original firearm. i.e. if a rebarrel costs you $400...the rifle is worth $400 LESS.

Custom guns better be built to your dream specs and you'd better keep them and use the hell out of them....they depreciate faster than a boat...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 458Win
Beauty and features in a rifle are similar to those of wives. Everyone has their own tastes and desires.

Yeah, but wives won't sit quietly in the cabinet until you're ready to enjoy them.

Last edited by jackmountain; 10/28/19.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,003 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,190
Posts18,465,790
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.