D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Swede65
Just got a reply from Winchester on StaBALL 6.5 via Email that says "This powder will be similar to H-4350".

Just waiting to see what other new powders come along and when there is a new powder burn rate chart published.

Hope that helped.

Similar in what way? We need more context.

Doesn't seem like much of a mystery to me when reading that. Similar in burn rate, load data, and temp insensitivity would be likely. What else could they possibly be talking about?

JG,

In the 7-08, Hodgdon data, there is a big jump in performance with a favorite bullet of mine and yours, the NBT 120 gr.

StaBALL shoots that one at a max reported 3,201 fps, vs. the max with H-4350, 3,039 fps. That's an impressive jump.

With 140's it's 2,976 vs. 2,868, not as big a spread, but still impressive. With the 140 gr. the H-4350 load is comprssed, the StaBall load is not compressed.

So, one may postulate that if the burn rate is similar, StaBALL could be a tad denser, thus not having to compress the top 140 gr. load vs. H-4350.

I should be getting a couple of pounds in pretty soon. I'm anxious to see what it will do.

DF

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Nrut,

Apparently you, like many, do not know the difference in PSI and CUP.

Also, "similar" does NOT mean "exactly the same."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
A more general comment: So far there's been the typical Campfire discussion about something nobody had even seen yet, much less tried. But several people already think they know everything about it--another Campfire tradition.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The description made me think it will be something like H450, but with better temperature tolerance. I never used H450 for anything myself even though it crossed my mind a time or two, but I remember a few guys being pretty unhappy about its departure from the lineup.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A more general comment: So far there's been the typical Campfire discussion about something nobody had even seen yet, much less tried. But several people already think they know everything about it--another Campfire tradition.

I'm guilty.

I know nothing about it, have never had a can in my posession. Hopefully that's gonna change in a few days.

I am very interested, it looks good on paper. All I can do until actually trying it, is research known info and summarize current thinking.

DF

IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Yondering
Just got a reply from Winchester on StaBALL 6.5 via Email that says "This powder will be similar to H-4350".

Just waiting to see what other new powders come along and when there is a new powder burn rate chart published.

Hope that helped.

Similar in what way? We need more context.

Doesn't seem like much of a mystery to me when reading that. Similar in burn rate, load data, and temp insensitivity would be likely. What else could they possibly be talking about?

You know what happens when we assume.

I'd guess they meant burn rate, but that's a guess because Swede65 didn't tell us in what context Winchester said it's similar to H4350. Maybe it's just similar in temp sensitivity, but different burn rate? Or maybe the burn rate is the same but the temp sensitivity is different? I'm certainly not willing to assume the load data is similar. Are you? We need more info for that statement to be useful.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Nrut,

Apparently you, like many, do not know the difference in PSI and CUP.

Also, "similar" does NOT mean "exactly the same."

I said: "In the 708 with 150gr. bullets H4350 and StaBall aren't even close in max. load or vel."

I don't see where I said anything about pressure ( PSI or CUP) at all, and that wasn't the jest of my post..
Looking at the pressures now I see the H4350 is running over 50,000 CUP (51,500 CUP) which is up there..
Most CUP pressure tested loads I see in manuals are 50,000 CUP or under..
Most PSI pressure tested loads are 60,000 PSI and under with some in the 62-63 range..
The Hodgdon StaBall load for the 708/150gr bullet is under 60,000 CUP
And yes I know there is a difference between PSI and CUP..

As far as your comment: "simular" does NOT mean "exactly the same"!
I understand that, so my question to you is what was the Winchester rep meaning when he told Swed65 that "this powder will be similar to H4350" ??
So my question to you, in what way do "you" see the similarity between these two powders?
And have you talked to the Winchester rep or Hodgdon rep about StaBall?
Going by Hodgdon Data they aren't similar in vel. and grains of powder for max. loads..

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yawn.

John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Yawn.

And to think I was trying to be nice in my reply above .. smirk

Last edited by Nrut; 10/30/19.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You shouldn't jest, if you're trying to be nice.

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
You shouldn't jest, if you're trying to be nice.

Just looked up the definition of "jest"..
For some reason I thought there was two meanings for the word "jest" depending on how it was used in a sentence ..
Apparently not..
I should have used the word "crux" instead..

Last edited by Nrut; 10/30/19.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Gist dude, Gist.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Similar in burn rate and where it would fall approximately on the chart. If you want more detailed information, go to the Winchester website and fill out a information request with what you want to know. The technical group/ tech got back to me in less than 24 hours.
Just ask them what you want to know.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Similar in burn rate and where it would fall approximately on the chart. If you want more detailed information, go to the Winchester website and fill out a information request with what you want to know. The technical group/ tech got back to me in less than 24 hours.
Just ask them what you want to know.

Thank you for clarifying that about burn rate Swede. Good to know.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Gist dude, Gist.

For the win...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I almost miss the days when if you had H4831 and H4350 you were covered for all the medium to magnum cartridges. Almost too many choices now. And the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence syndrome or the powder burns brighter phenomena and this can lead to a big inventory of powders.
Just when I was trying to cut down on components and simplify my reloading things get more complicated.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by obie458

Interesting video. I wish he would have cooled and heated the gun along with the ammo, but the results were interesting.

I might have to pick up a pound or two to test out in my 7-08 and 7-08AI.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I will be trying it. Numbers look very good.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
Originally Posted by obie458

Interesting video. I wish he would have cooled and heated the gun along with the ammo, but the results were interesting.

I might have to pick up a pound or two to test out in my 7-08 and 7-08AI.

My thoughts exactly. And in theory one powder may change/adjust its temp faster vs another powder when temps swing quickly (i.e. from 32 degrees to 140 + in the chamber).

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.