Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
https://the-journal.com/articles/156381-elderly-hunter-still-missing-in-san-juan-national-forest

Just some details, information and photo on the missing hunter Alvie Webb... still missing from a google search this evening 10/26/19. I hope he is found for the family. God Bless elk hunter. HH

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by sgt217
Maybe he knew death was near and didn't want to be found...If that's the case more power to him...

I had a buddy that was joking about death one day coyote hunting w me. He was leaving later that day to go pheasant hunting.

He pheasant hunted the next morning and when they went to town for lunch he had a heart attack and died in the booth at the restaraunt.

I have a sneaking suspicion he knew what was coming.

Still bugs me a little that I watched him miss a chip shot at the last coyote he ever shot at.

Hope they find the gentleman no matter what the case may be.

Yep we are a bit OT here. But... knowing can happen I think.
We ran a CPR on a guy, attended his best friends wedding, I think they were late 50s early 60s. Said it was the best thing he had ever been too and if he died that night it would be just fine. Went to a small local wine bar. Left and collapsed on the way out the door. I got there and he had not moved, we did our best. I think he did his best too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ndhunterman
I tell my wife often that I hope to go out of this life sitting on a mountain, sun on my face, rifle in my lap.

Hope they find the gentleman either way.

Same here. I've seen too many ugly ways to die old. Dealing with that and Mom right now. We've been told two weeks at the outside. If it were me, I'd say two weeks is two weeks too long.

At this point there is little hope for finding him alive. Best wishes for his family.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/27/19.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know that area, and that road very well. very "big" country and very, very rough.

hard to imagine an 87 year old being in the shape needed to hunt it. Godspeed, brother. good views from that ridgeline.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just back from there. On Wednesday I heard the helicopters for quite a while. Drove that exact road on Monday or Tuesday but didn't see any searchers and had no indication anything was going on.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if this old hunter has past ,he is the lucky one. no Elim home, no hospital only the joy of a last hunt. bless him ,its the way i hope to go too !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Updated story but hunter remains missing.
It was perhaps 10 years ago that the skeleton on a hunter in adjacent unit 74 was found after being missing for 30 years.

https://durangoherald.com/articles/299912-hunter-age-86-remains-missing-in-san-juan-national-forest

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Alamosa
It was perhaps 10 years ago that the skeleton on a hunter in adjacent unit 74 was found after being missing for 30 years.

https://durangoherald.com/articles/299912-hunter-age-86-remains-missing-in-san-juan-national-forest

Were Bloodhounds used? I know their noses work better in moister air but still hard to believe he was not found had one been used. Hopefully he did not suffer .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Alamosa

Were Bloodhounds used? I know their noses work better in moister air but still hard to believe he was not found had one been used. Hopefully he did not suffer .

The article just says K9 Search and Rescue.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Duh, I missed that although it might have been shepherds and labs but who knows. Thanks for pointing that out . It would be a miracle to find this man alive at this point, but if they did find him he would on a year long celebrity tour of all the major networks for sure. I just hope they find him hopefully alive for the sake of his family..

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Don't take this wrong but I'm not sure why so many think finding one dead vs alive is always such a bad thing. Often in reality its not, its the best thing. In certain situations.

Death is not such a bad thing as we make it out to be.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Comes for all of us.

There's certainly worse ways you can go than hunting elk at 87

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Comes for all of us.

There's certainly worse ways you can go than hunting elk at 87

-Jake

As long as it was quick, like a heart attack, instead of the fear and confusion of getting lost, followed by death from exposure.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I remember that one abiut the guy lost for 30 years. Wonder if there was any family to even notify. From what i remember they found cartridges but not his rifle

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am hoping that this guy shows up to his own funeral with a fresh 6×6 rack

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Death completes the circle of life. If you had the opportunity to complete it on your terms - I'd consider it a gift from God.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A recent update but nothing has changed.
It is however a good summary of events.

https://www.outtherecolorado.com/search-suspended-for-elderly-hunter-missing-in-colorado-mountains/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have they found the ones in Utah and Wyoming?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How far can an 87 year old guy with mobility problems go? Can't believe bloodhounds had no luck. Seems like he woulda been found about 50 yards from where they dropped him off.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wytex
Doesn't sound good. We lost an elderly hunter in Wyoming several years ago and no sign of him has ever been found, it was a heavily hunted area too.
At least perhaps he went out doing what he enjoys.
Prayers for his return to his family.

Charlie from Minnesota in Arlington Wy?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (300_savage, 264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, 13 invisible), 1,581 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,434
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.