Print Thread
Hop To
R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I've got one of these (.50 cal) headed my way and was wondering if anyone had experience with them, especially in using BH209 and conicals.

Seems to be pretty good set up with Green Mountain Barrel, Dynatek coating inside and out of barrel and a Timney trigger.

I ordered the Lehigh Defense conversion kit to shoot bare primers as well. Do the plastic jackets offer any advantages in use? Just seems like not having to mess with them would be easier.

Thanks

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
YES THEY DO . NO WATER IN THE GUN FROM BREACH NO DIRT I THINK IT ONE OF THE BEST SYSTEMS BUY JUST ME SAYING THIS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one. I bought it set up in the western version. Then last year Washington State legalized 209 primers and I switched it up to FPJ. Then I just ordered up and installed the Lehigh conversion. But due to a ruptured Achilles I have been laid up and haven't been able to get out and shoot it with the new conversion. I will say the best bullet I shot in it with the other ignition was the knight bloodline. 275 grain. We are still limited to open sights so I set it up with a Williams peep on the back and a Lyman Globe on the front with the Lee Shaver inserts for the globe. If you need any of the washers to shim your primer pocket on your bare primer breech plug let me know. They are kind of spendy to buy the pack but if I recall I didn't need to use any on mine. Hopefully I will get out and shoot this in the next week or two.

R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by savage62
YES THEY DO . NO WATER IN THE GUN FROM BREACH NO DIRT I THINK IT ONE OF THE BEST SYSTEMS BUY JUST ME SAYING THIS

So, does the action not seal when you close the bolt? I could see where it would help on an action that stays open (like my old Knight Wolverine). But, and I haven't even seen one in person yet, I figured the action would seal when the bolt closed like it did on a T/C Omega that I used to have.

Originally Posted by lazydrifter
I have one. I bought it set up in the western version. Then last year Washington State legalized 209 primers and I switched it up to FPJ. Then I just ordered up and installed the Lehigh conversion. But due to a ruptured Achilles I have been laid up and haven't been able to get out and shoot it with the new conversion. I will say the best bullet I shot in it with the other ignition was the knight bloodline. 275 grain. We are still limited to open sights so I set it up with a Williams peep on the back and a Lyman Globe on the front with the Lee Shaver inserts for the globe. If you need any of the washers to shim your primer pocket on your bare primer breech plug let me know. They are kind of spendy to buy the pack but if I recall I didn't need to use any on mine. Hopefully I will get out and shoot this in the next week or two.

Thanks for the tips and the offer on the washers. Didn't even know that I might have to shim it. I'll hunt with it some here in TX and can use sabots then, but will also use it in CO for elk and will only be able to use sabots then. That was why I sold the Omega. It shot sabots outstanding, but put out shotgun patterns instead of groups with sabots. I've got some No Excuses that I'll try in it first, and then go from there.

Sorry about the achilles, good luck with a speedy recovery. I broke my foot the day we were supposed to leave for our CO elk hunt last year. Being immobile really puts a downer on hunting and outdoor activities, ha.

Thanks again for the info.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's a video of setting up the lehigh conversion.

https://youtu.be/cqgD68vbukk

IC B2

R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Hey, he states at 1:52 that he's using the breech plug that came with his rifle and is shimming that one to work with the bare primers. Since I ordered the bare primer breech plug from Lehigh:
https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.com/all-products?product_id=259

and the bare primer adapter for the bolt:
https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.com/all-products?product_id=258

Hopefully, I won't have to shim. It doesn't say anything on Lehigh's website about shims with those parts. I guess we'll see.

Thanks for the video link.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
You wont know if it needs shims until after you get it all together. Buy some Win209 primers. Measure some Win209s and write down the length. After its all together put a Win209 in the adapter and close the action but dont fire it. Open the action and remove the primer. You want to do this with several primers since they vary in length. If you get a .003 crush or more you are done. If somehow you get more than a .005 crush you will want to use a Fed209A primer but that is unlikely.

R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the explanation.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So if I understand you when you hunt Colorado you have to use a full bore bullet. You might try the Federal BOR. One of my sons shoots these out of his knight with really good accuracy. He did have an issue with one not expanding on a nice bull elk this year. They got the elk and pulled the bullet from inside the hide on the far side of impact. It had went thru a rib at impact and had failed to expand. I don't know why because most of the reports I hear from this bullet are really good. I have heard they work better the faster you push them.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
That Knight will shoot conicals great when you find the load it likes. Just dont go overboard with the powder and use a tight Sagebrush .518 .060 thick wad over the powder. 70-80gr of Blackhorn with a 460gr conical will kill virtually anything in North America.
https://www.sageoutfitters.com/catalog/item/7209324/7463753.htm

Dan at Bullshop sells what he calls a 420 UC short and i think a 440gr too

Bullshop bullets Email him and see what he currently offers. He has more than what is listed here. You will probably want them sized to .503 but .504 might work.
https://bullshop.weebly.com/blackpowder.html

IC B3

R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks fellas. I just ordered some of the Sagebrush wads.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
When you get your rifle go to NoExcuses. Get a sizing pack of bullets. His conicals are ok but i like the Bullshops much better and Dan is a great guy. Bullshop is run by a simple man leading a simple life that loves what he does. The NASA lube he uses is great too.

This sizing pack will get you the feel for what fits right. You should be able to load with thumb pressure but not too loose.
https://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/product/50-caliber-sizing-pack/
https://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/sizing-pack-instructions/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (10gaugemag, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 23 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,645
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.