Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
The 1911 is the only auto I've ever had any respect for. More specifically, the military issue version, not the new production. Seems they are all popular and prices reflect that. Carried one during my second Nam tour and made the longest pistol shot of my life on the Bien Hoa perimeter. One shot, 300 meters and I killed a cement truck. Won a case of beer for that stunt shot. I utilized the TLAR method of drop calculation.

Dan...
You need a Colt Woodsman

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love the 1911, have two, but as a lefty getting plinked in the forehead with ejected casings is getting old.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I need to get another before long..

Only have 4 or 5.

That's pathetic, Barry. smile

(I've only got 2 right now). smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Love the 1911, have two, but as a lefty getting plinked in the forehead with ejected casings is getting old.

That's what you get for being wrong-handed! Seeing a good pistol smith might correct that.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

...better than getting trapped in your cleavage..., or so my daughter says...

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DMc
The 1911 is the only auto I've ever had any respect for. More specifically, the military issue version, not the new production. Seems they are all popular and prices reflect that. Carried one during my second Nam tour and made the longest pistol shot of my life on the Bien Hoa perimeter. One shot, 300 meters and I killed a cement truck. Won a case of beer for that stunt shot. I utilized the TLAR method of drop calculation.

Dan...
You need a Colt Woodsman

Had one for many years and it was a jewel. About 10 years ago a fella offered me more than it was worth....
'40's vintage, checkered walnut factory new condition...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DMc

Dan...
You need a Colt Woodsman

Had one for many years and it was a jewel. About 10 years ago a fella offered me more than it was worth....

I was referring to respect.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You wouldn't have that problem if you were normal........ grin

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by DMc

Dan...
You need a Colt Woodsman

I was referring to respect.

Aw, I respected that one too much to shoot it. Had several other hand cannons back then anyway.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I like a Government model because it's an old school, big bore chunk of steel with an external hammer,......that's designed to last forever. It's definitely a pistol made for a man.

I read an article years ago about how much handguns were valued by soldiers in WW1.A 1911 was gold to the soldiers who were lucky enough to have one,...for fairly obvious reasons. When things got up close and personal in a trench, a long, bolt action rifle was hard to use. The Germans in WW1 would sharpen the edges of their entrenching tools and use them as battle axes when the enemy would come piling in the trenches with them rather than try to use their rifles.

A dependable big bore handgun was a big step up from a battle ax in the trenches. 1909 Colt .45 revolvers as well as the 1917 S&W's and Colts chambered for .45 ACP were very valued implements. Even a lot of single action Colt .45's found their was to the American occupied trenches. But a 1911 was the holy grail of handguns in WW1.

The way I hear it,..if a soldier had one on him when he got either killed of wounded, he got relieved of it by the first Doughboy who came along.

The rifles of that period were good for shooting across no man's land. But when the wolf was at the door, the big bore handguns ruled the day,...and the 1911 was as good as it got for that situation back then.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here's my only 45. Built by AMU armorer Jack Maple.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I like a Government model because it's an old school, big bore chunk of steel with an external hammer,......that's designed to last forever. It's definitely a pistol made for a man.

I read an article years ago about how much handguns were valued by soldiers in WW1.A 1911 was gold to the soldiers who were lucky enough to have one,...for fairly obvious reasons. When things got up close and personal in a trench, a long, bolt action rifle was hard to use. The Germans in WW1 would sharpen the edges of their entrenching tools and use them as battle axes when the enemy would come piling in the trenches with them rather than try to use their rifles.

A dependable big bore handgun was a big step up from a battle ax in the trenches. 1909 Colt .45 revolvers as well as the 1917 S&W's and Colts chambered for .45 ACP were very valued implements. Even a lot of single action Colt .45's found their was to the American occupied trenches. But a 1911 was the holy grail of handguns in WW1.

The way I hear it,..if a soldier had one on him when he got either killed of wounded, he got relieved of it by the first Doughboy who came along.

The rifles of that period were good for shooting across no man's land. But when the wolf was at the door, the big bore handguns ruled the day,...and the 1911 was as good as it got for that situation back then.

I always heard Lugers were the prize catch. Never in my life have I heard of any single actions being used in WWII, except by Gen Patton.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I always heard the Lugers were the prize catch. Never in my life have I heard of any single actions being used in WWII, except by Gen Patton.

WW1

And yes,....the Doughboys in the trenches wanted any handgun they could find.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My Grandfather was in WWI in France. (In the trenches) He was issued a Remington 1897 shotgun with a bayonet and he brought it home. It also had a barrel shroud.

File photo:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DMc
My Grandfather was in WWI in France. (In the trenches) He was issued a Remington 1897 shotgun with a bayonet and he brought it home. It also had a barrel shroud.

File photo:
That's a Winchester. The model 97 has only ever been manufactured by Winchester and Norinco, and only recently by the latter.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i have a smith tripple lock, made fourth quarter 1915, and sent to the british in the .455eley. later converted to .45colt.
it has the scottish officer's name stamped in the handle. I found him buried in northern france, killed during the battle of the somme.
i have pictures of his grave, of him, and a lot of background material on him
a priced item

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by DMc

File photo:
That's a Winchester. The model 97 has only ever been manufactured by Winchester and Norinco, and only recently by the latter.

norinco looks the same, but its not the same. you can't fire it by holding the trigger back and working the pump.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i just bought a couple boxes of commemorative winchester ammo, some of it 12guage, for WWII. Brass shell casings 00 buck.
came in this cute little box, ammo was made here, the box was made in china.
how ironic, given that ammo was killing chinese at one time.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
A friend of mine killed a tiger in Vietnam with a Winchester 97, it took him 3 rounds of No.4 buck. He still loves a 97. He found a riot gun, not the US marked gun, but a police gun without a shroud, and by chance, I was able to get him a shroud. He loves me to death over that.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by DMc

File photo:

I believe you're correct. My mistake.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

111 members (6mmCreedmoor, 35, 338rcm, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 15 invisible), 967 guests, and 741 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,504
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.