Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys, I just picked this one up. I've wanted one of these for a long time now and finally ran across the right one (I hope). Let me know your opinions on this one. I know more about model 70's. Thanks.....:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
In person, it is a very sweet looking rifle. I'm hoping it shoots as good as it looks. Bore looks good, crown is good, sights are decent, but I don't know what type of rear sight it is. The place I bought it from said it's a lyman, but I don't know. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks.. Oh, serial #65xxx. I believe it was made in '49.... Trigger is sweet as hell too...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
That's a great looking M/52 B you've got there, with the exception of the broken pointer on the Lyman 48's elevation slide everything looks right. The browning on the the bolt handle probably is more from age as the rest of the rifle shows very little evidence of use. I first started shooting M/52's as a 12 yr. old junior and the B model has always been my favorite. At age 70 I have owned several over the years, no matter if they were Target models or Sporters all have shot great. Good luck with your new prize, hope you take it to the range and shoot it often.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks gunwizard. I appreciate your insight. I plan on shooting this one too. We are having a fall rimfire match in a few weeks and probably a turkey shoot, so im hoping to put it to good use.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I agree it hasn't been shot much. The Lyman 48 sight is 1/4 MOA per click you will have to do the math for shot movement at the various ranges (distances). Shoot 40 grain, lead, Standard Velocity through it.
Aguila Super Extra in the Blue and Yellow trimmed box is good ammo at an affordable price. Federal 711 or 714 when available is decent ammo too. If you get real serious you can use the higher grades of LaPua, RWS, Ely, etc but they are Very expensive. The lower grades of them are great as well.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My pre A 52 Custom Sporter shot CCI Standard Velocity just fine, good enough that I never tried any of the expensive stuff.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice rifle!

If you haven't already, consider getting a mat, coat, glove and sling and shooting some NRA smallbore prone or position matches. Lots of fun to be had and things to be learned.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MikeS
Nice rifle!

If you haven't already, consider getting a mat, coat, glove and sling and shooting some NRA smallbore prone or position matches. Lots of fun to be had and things to be learned.

smirk ok.. whistle

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have looked at many 52's over the years, never found a good one that was not messed up for a decent price. That one looks VERY nice. The very first rifle I ever shot was a 52 Sporter. My Dad borrowed it from a friend, Art Vonn who used to write for Field and Stream. Got my BSA merit badge with that one. I was sad when it was time to return it... Just found a grail rifle for myself, a BSA Martini MKIII International. Gotta love those rimfires. Will probably see a decent 52 now that I bought another..

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My M52's weren't of the caliber of that one. Nice snag. I too cut my adolescent target shooting teeth with a 52- a slow lock with factory sights. My current faves are an A and a Pre-A speed lock with scope blocks (and a Fecker that rotates between them), but a 52B is needed to round things out. An elderly buddy who is an ex-.22 benchrest shooter informs me that his 52D heavy barrel w/36x Leupold is coming my way- but I'd rather have him with me at the range than his gun in my hands. Martini's are cool, and Springfield M2's are my all-time favorites, but when it comes down to pure accuracy give me a 52 and a fistful of Eley Tenex any day.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I just ran across this old ad. Looks a lot like my rifle:

BSA MAGA
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Very nice.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That's a daisy.

LOL
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Good move BSA and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. I have the same rifle, though I shoot mine most with a Unertl 14x for which you have mounting blocks on your rifle.

I think you did well with it considering that so often these come about missing sights, handstops, and swivels. Yours looks intact.

I recommend, even if you just do it once to see, that you go on and get a small assortment of quality target ammo such as Tenex or Midas Plus and watch it put many bullets in the same little bitty hole. For a sling that you can order made up, Ron Brown is the way to go.

My rifle shoots most ammo well, but as the price goes up the number of fliers get fewer. Worth remembering is that it takes quite a few shots (like 10 or 15) for the barrel to settle in with one type of rimfire ammo after switching from another.

I'd wish you luck with it but you don't need it- enjoy!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by aggiecubpilot
Good move BSA and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. I have the same rifle, though I shoot mine most with a Unertl 14x for which you have mounting blocks on your rifle.

I think you did well with it considering that so often these come about missing sights, handstops, and swivels. Yours looks intact.

I recommend, even if you just do it once to see, that you go on and get a small assortment of quality target ammo such as Tenex or Midas Plus and watch it put many bullets in the same little bitty hole. For a sling that you can order made up, Ron Brown is the way to go.

My rifle shoots most ammo well, but as the price goes up the number of fliers get fewer. Worth remembering is that it takes quite a few shots (like 10 or 15) for the barrel to settle in with one type of rimfire ammo after switching from another.

I'd wish you luck with it but you don't need it- enjoy!

Thanks, i appreciate that

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
As I shot it tonight, I thought to myself, "no one in their right mind would let this rifle go". I bet you, some poor old guy passed away and his kids or grandkids sold this beautiful rifle to the LGS, because, "no one in the family shoots guns". What a sad realization of the direction this world is going.

I tried several different types of ammo in it and it seemed to love them all, even though the wind was blowing hard enough to blow my target stand over 2 times. My hands were going numb, because of the cold, but i kept shooting until I could no longer see the target. My last 10 shots were fired at the target, for schidts and giggles, on the 100 yard line. Also, as I shot, I started to think, "this rifle is going to turn me into a right handed shooter". As I only shoot irons right handed.....In all, I left the range with a feeling of complete satisfaction. I don't think I've ever shot a 22 rifle of this caliber (quality, not referring to internal diameter of the bore) in my life. The wait was well worth it and Im glad I finally found this one...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I first shot a 52 as a 12 yr. old junior and they've never stopped providing that feeling. Won many a match shooting a 52 and used one to earn all my NRA certifications. My 52 goes with me nearly every trip to the range as well as my Springfield 1922, if you like the 52 you should definately experience the Springfield 1922.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys, here's the outcome of shooting in the wind yesterday evening and today. Didn't have much time to shoot it lastnight. Kind of got it dialed in and ready so I could shoot it today:

[All targets 10 shot groups]

From yesterday evening: Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics!!!!

It was a windy sob, I'll tell you!!! Not spectacular shooting. Keep in mind I'm also shooting weak handed (right handed)...

Now for today's shooting. After it was dialed in from last nights last group:

I see good things to come with this rifle. I may change that front post over to a globe insert down the road. I know that helps with better target acquisition (for me anyway)...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice!

Congrats on a great find.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That is a dandy! Congrats! I have three 52’s - two B’s and a D. While they are nice, none of them look as good as yours - one of the B’s is a much sought after true bull barrel though, which makes me happy. smile

It should shoot just fine. Try some good quality subsonic match Ammo.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 11/13/19.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sbrmike
I agree it hasn't been shot much. The Lyman 48 sight is 1/4 MOA per click you will have to do the math for shot movement at the various ranges (distances). Shoot 40 grain, lead, Standard Velocity through it.
Aguila Super Extra in the Blue and Yellow trimmed box is good ammo at an affordable price. Federal 711 or 714 when available is decent ammo too. If you get real serious you can use the higher grades of LaPua, RWS, Ely, etc but they are Very expensive. The lower grades of them are great as well.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the info. Now I need to find out where to get some parts for that rear sight!!! Maybe Numrich?

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
656 members (1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,911 guests, and 1,379 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.