Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Looking good....

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by frogman43
Well, guess I can figure out at least which set mine is in! LOL Tim, I'll stop by when I'm in town for Christmas with my kids and give you your money then.

Looking forward to the final product when you're finished!

Frog

if you want a test drive, call me. I have two of the skinners you can try any time.

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks a ton Glen.

Top pic is of some for me, some for stock, some just because.

The bottom pic includes all ordered from here on 24hr plus some stock.

Tim

PS: Looks like I need to go get more belts. That stuff is hard.

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 10/24/19.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The one I made for myself this year out of M4 at 62rc is the best performing blade I’ve had, two deer field dressed and skinned and it isn’t still sharp it still pops the hair off your arm. I have 7 more tags to fill this year and will make it a point to not touch it up and see how far it goes.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Thanks a ton Glen.

Top pic is of some for me, some for stock, some just because.

The bottom pic includes all ordered from here on 24hr plus some stock.

Tim

PS: Looks like I need to go get more belts. That stuff is hard.

Tim,

If you end with an extra Loveless or Gentleman's Hunter, let me know. I sent you a PM.

Thanks,
Greg B.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Starting to assemble some Skinners today.

Doing those with out guards first.
While Doug is working on those sheaths, I will start finish grinding and guard fitting
to either the Loveless style or the Gentleman's Hunters.

Still gonna be awhile.

Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, I think we have everyone's specs turned in and I can place my last order for supplies.

I was expecting for this build to be maybe 6 or 8 knives.
If I didn't lose count I think the total ended up around 20+
including those used from the second go round of blades and another couple requests.

Darn near like having a job again vs a hobby.

Thanks a ton
I will keep busy on this

Tim

Albert Einstein

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If there any extras, I would be interested in a skinner or loveless. Otherwise, I'll wait until next time.
I really like your work and designs.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tim,

Are you planning on staying with 21 degrees for the edge angle? Do you think something like 17 degrees might work? This question is for the Loveless if the blade design matters.

Thanks,
bludog

Last edited by bludog; 11/06/19.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
If you request a specific angle, I will sharpen at that angle.

To me 21 degrees seems to be pretty awsome.

Thanks
Tim

Albert Einstein

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks Tim, pm sent.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bludog
Tim,

Are you planning on staying with 21 degrees for the edge angle? Do you think something like 17 degrees might work? This question is for the Loveless if the blade design matters.

Thanks,
bludog

My knife out of batch 2 of the M4 steel has been resharpened to ~15 degrees. I like it better, but I have only done one one deer so far this year with it. The deer have been really erratic here this year. I used it a bunch the way Tim sent it. Anything the looked like it needed cutting I did with that blade and it stood up to it very well. Every bit of cardboard that went into my recycling got cut into little pieces with it. Ha I intentions of using it a lot more for that sort of thing I would have left the edge at ~20 degrees like it came to me. I does slice nice with a steep edge and seems to be plenty tough enough to do ordinary cutting at 15 degrees

I gutted, skinned and dismembered a small buck with it and it's still shaving sharp. I expect it the not lose much edge if any on the next one or three. My experience with decent steel is that after it is sharpened at a steep angle they go from worrisome sharp to just plain sharp (still shaving sharp) and then they much more slowly lose that edge. I suspect that ultra fine edge just isn't as durable. I have not put one under a microscope to be sure though.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
MIles,

Thank you for the input, that sounds good. We both know that shaving sharp is plenty good for putting up a deer. This is probably splitting hairs (no pun intended). But part of the reason is the guided sharpening system I use has a 17 dps setting on it, so maintenance might be a little easier and simpler. With the reputation this steel has for toughness and edge-holding, it should be cutting mammer-jammer. And I have one of Tim's knives in 154CM and it is my best knife hands down.

All the positive reviews are getting me pumped.

bludog

Last edited by bludog; 11/07/19.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bludog
MIles,

Thank you for the input, that sounds good. We both know that shaving sharp is plenty good for putting up a deer. This is probably splitting hairs (no pun intended). But part of the reason is the guided sharpening system I use has a 17 dps setting on it, so maintenance might be a little easier and simpler. With the reputation this steel has for toughness and edge-holding, it should be cutting mammer-jammer. And I have one of Tim's knives in 154CM and it is my best knife hands down.

All the positive reviews are getting me pumped.

bludog

For what it's worth, every knife I own that is 60RC or harder has been moved to or came with a steep angle. All the Japanese VG-10 is about 15 and came that way. I have a couple D2s that have been moved that steep and one hard CPM 154 that I moved. All of them are just fine there when it comes to staying sharp. Any more, my attitude is that only the softer blades need more meat behind the cutting edge and the way I do that is to put them on a diamond stone an create a 15 degree edge and then put them on a crock stick and reset the very last bit of the edge to 20 or so. I think it is allowing them to stay sharper longer while working.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Build #3 update.

I am now doing finishing work to the Skinners and their sheaths.
Those getting them should be hearing from me yet in Nov.

I have decided to sharpen the Skinners at 18 degrees on my Edge Pro.
The blades are .110" thick at the spine and the primary bevel is approx. .900" wide.
I think 18 will provide a very good working edge.

-------And for those requesting or swearing by 17 degrees or less. you
will have and easy time getting there when the original edge needs sharpening.
Then you can report here as to how the blade is being used and the outcome of both cutting edge angles

I will be working on the Gentleman and Loveless styles next. I hope to have the Gents ready in Dec prior to
the holidays and the Loveless following that.
Those blades are .125" at the spine. I will see what that looks like at 18 degrees also.

The use of my personal knives out of M4 at 18 degrees (that I am hoping to use on deer) seem about perfect from the use
around the house.

I would think that a bevel at 15 degrees might be good for .060" thick paring knives and such, but is too thin
for thicker working blades. Just my opinion and I know everyone has their own.

Also, I am still trying to put some venison in the freezer.............

Albert Einstein

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the update Tim. 18 dps should be awesome. i like that you're looking for what works best based on the steel and the knife design. Good luck and safe hunting! Still hoping to hear a field report from you.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Notices went out to those getting the Skinners.

Keith---I am still planning on meeting you with your knife over Holidays.

Thanks
Tim

Albert Einstein

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Many blessing to you and your family Tim. And Happy Thanksgiving to all as well

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Skinners going out this week.

I hope to be able to ship the Gentleman's Hunters by end of next week.

Loveless Style hopefully by Holidays or early Jan.

Thanks
Tim

Albert Einstein

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sounds good.

A loveless will be a great Christmas to myself. 😂

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1936M71, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 2,760 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,538
Posts18,453,065
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.