Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have been out of the country for the last five years and haven't really kept up with used gun prices. Now that I am back and have access to my guns I was planning to sell a few to thin the herd and focus on acquiring a few new ones that interested me.

I have had a couple people tell me that the used gun market is soft right now and I should hold on to them for a while since I don't need the money as much as I need the space. The AR market is definitely off from its highs a few years ago, but what about sporting arms? What are your observations?

I'm also assuming that the market won't heat up because of politics for at least 5 years with the current President.

BP-B2

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Very soft. Tactical rifles are popular but over supply and a Republican prez has lowered demand and the prices have crashed.

Sporting guns as in blued and walnut...prices are low do to lack of demand. Many of the guys who are into custom Mausers and old Winchester are getting old and no longer buying or worse . Their collections are getting sold off by family that’s not into collecting and hunting and it’s got the market flooded during a time of low demand.

It’s what I see anyways...but others will chime in with their .10

GOD Bless America
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
From where I sit it is much better to be a buyer than a seller currently, I recently picked up a NIB Dakota with all the bells and whistles from the original owner for roughly 60% of the list price. Blued steel and walnut go for very steep discounts....

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by TimZ
From where I sit it is much better to be a buyer than a seller currently.

Blued steel and walnut go for very steep discounts....

Agreed

But - depends on the firearm you're selling, the location, and how you sell it.

On here - very soft, but the good ones usually move, a lot of buyers here look for the bargains.

Also seeing a lot of "custom" rifles that won't return the investment.

Gunbroker - you get better exposureto the market, but you pay more in fees.

AR/MSR - flatlining until the next gun control act flares up - or the Colt AR cease production announcement - that spiked the Colt price for a week or two.

It's also after most of the early big game seasons, you're getting into prime deer hunting for another month before most states shut down.

Hunters have bought their new guns for the season, it's time to get in the woods.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Now is not an advantageous time for sellers, if at all possible hold on till the market improves.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have put 3 rifles and one shotgun on consignment in the last month. One rifle and the shotgun sold a week ago. The other 2 I will leave for him to sell for a while(Until January) since I already have more shotguns and rifles then I can reasonably handle.

He(consignor) says the market is still good .

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think this is a historically bad time of year to sell. Compounded by all the "black rifles" sold by Obama and Clinton are trickling out. There have been so many new unproven gunsmith and custom is almost a nail in the coffin.

However
The soup de jour or niche items still sell pretty well.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very soft, and not just the old blued steel and walnut. Ive seen a lot of stainless synthetics affected as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's a great time to pick up models you have always wanted !

One section of the market that is still fairly strong is old military weapons

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really don't care if I don't sell a used rifle or shotgun for a premium price as long as I can get something I want more at an equally good price in this soft market. On the other hand, if I sell a rifle or shotgun because I just don't want or need it anymore, I am converting an unused object into usable cash even if the price isn't great. I've only had five guns that had special meaning and I've given two away to younger relatives, sold one after a divorce and still have two. The rest are just tools.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ward
I really don't care if I don't sell a used rifle or shotgun for a premium price as long as I can get something I want more at an equally good price in this soft market. On the other hand, if I sell a rifle or shotgun because I just don't want or need it anymore, I am converting an unused object into usable cash even if the price isn't great. I've only had five guns that had special meaning and I've given two away to younger relatives, sold one after a divorce and still have two. The rest are just tools.

Me too. I'm way past needing any more, but I like to experiment, tinker, and try out stuff. If I end up selling something at a loss after I've had my fun, it's just the cost of enjoying my hobby, and likely less than a day of golfing or a night on the town. Some end up sticking, either because they're compelling in their performance or because they strike some other chord in me.
Pretty cheap fun, when you actually do the math, at least at my budget level.

Just as with the concept of "good" furniture meant to be a lifetime investment, and some other changing consumer trends, "nice" guns aren't the current thing with younger or newer shooters. Bottom line is, don't expect to make a killing on your guns someday, unless you really spend big and hold on a long time.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Good time to buy, bought a C grade 700 for 800.00. It is like new.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Old rare stuff in excellent condition still sells well.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by AH64guy
[quote=TimZ]

It's also after most of the early big game seasons, you're getting into prime deer hunting for another month before most states shut down.

Hunters have bought their new guns for the season, it's time to get in the woods.

very true. I've noticed locally that classified prices tend to dip in February and March and then go back up in August and September

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Republican in office killed the gun market. No one scared right now. I tried to trade a heavy barreled tactical style rifle rifle to a large gunstore a few months ago and they told me they didn't want it. Used racks full of them and said they had boxes upon boxes of new ones in the back. They said the same on AR's. Wouldn't even take them unless people would part with them for pennies on the dollar.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Certain kinds of firearms (as k20350 points out) are very slow right now. But I buy and sell quite a few guns, especially rifles, and haven't had much problem selling any AS LONG as I place them in the right market.

A couple of good examples: Placed a modern, stainless-synthetic bolt rifle on consignment at a local store, and it did not sell for long enough that I got it back and sold it here on the Campfire Classifieds within 2 days, despite the price being over $1000--which is often a handicap here. Put a classic older lever-action up for sale here and got a few tire-kickers, so took it to the same store and they paid cash for what I asked for here. So a lot depends on WHERE you attempt to sell.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by k20350
Republican in office killed the gun market. No one scared right now.

Consider the opposite !

I'll take this.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Certain kinds of firearms (as k20350 points out) are very slow right now. But I buy and sell quite a few guns, especially rifles, and haven't had much problem selling any AS LONG as I place them in the right market.

A couple of good examples: Placed a modern, stainless-synthetic bolt rifle on consignment at a local store, and it did not sell for long enough that I got it back and sold it here on the Campfire Classifieds within 2 days, despite the price being over $1000--which is often a handicap here. Put a classic older lever-action up for sale here and got a few tire-kickers, so took it to the same store and they paid cash for what I asked for here. So a lot depends on WHERE you attempt to sell.

Yep. Been my experience as well.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes, the market is a bit soft. Really dependent on what one is selling or buying. The AR/AK types are a drudge on the market, over supply. Older classics still do well, but perhaps not making the big bucks folks thought they were worth. It is as well very regional as to pricing and desire. I recently sold six firearms out of 9 that I posted. Didn't get what I would have liked for some, but I have had them for a while and made a bit on all of them. As an incentive to buy I said free shipping. That cost much more than I thought it would.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I hate losing money on a gun sale!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
794 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 78 invisible), 3,098 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,359
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.