Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Pokémon cards guys - LOL

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It's all in how you look at things. Some guys love nice fast cars and trucks. Other love well crafted guns. Me? I'm too practical, I guess. I look at both cars and guns as tools. I want one that will hold up and get the job done well but I'm not out for pretty.

Pretty well my take on it as well

Lotsa .22 ammo, 9mm etc. there’s the investment. Why I’ve read in doomsday scenarios you can get 2 cans of pork and beans for 50 rds of .22

And a woman for a can of beans

Well fed, well bred, what else could you want outa life ?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jackmountain

You want an investment buy real estate.

I'm knee deep in commercial real estate, mostly raw land, not income producing. But, it's in the right spot(s). Moving that type property depends on the local economy and what's happening. Not always a sure thing. But you must buy it right, hold it until the timing is right. Bad part, you don't control the timing.

Generally, real estate can be pretty good if you're not in a hurry, don't depend on moving it for your next meal...

DF

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Depends on which market. I made a killing on crap AKs, used ARs and a couple of FALs after Obammy was elected. A Norinco AK w/ 3 chink mags would gain $2000.00 from the scared and desperate.

mike r

I suck at Capitalism, I’d not sell a gun to a fellow gun enthusiast for more than I thought it was worth.

Birdwatcher

Still broke and full of misplaced loyalties wink

and you'll continue to sleep on a cot.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
anybody remember those 65dollar swedish mausers? or the 70dollar schmidt rubins? or the 60dollar sks's? or the 220 dollar sig p-6's?
or the mosins at the 50 dollar price or the turkish mausers?
and i could go on.
I would hazzard a guess all could be sold rather easily at a price higher than acquired at.
I periodically get requests, unsolicited, to sell WWII 1911's or garands or carbines.
That 250bucks i paid for a WWII 1911, how many would turn down a deal to buy one at 400 bucks or so?

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
few years ago, a certain m1a with ammo and mags came out of commiefornia. I wasn't connected to it, but knew about it. It sold locally for about 2500bucks as i was told.
It all goes back to what you paid for it. As to you made a good deal or not.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I worry about my 6 year old son, he shows no intrest, I took the boys out shooting this summer for the first time with a .22, 7 year old was all over it and really enjoyed it, 6 year old was afraid if he hit the sky he would kill God. 7 year old see's a deer, elk, whatever and is convinced my mom can make the whole thing into tacos.
Then there is my 4 year old daughter, we saw a beautiful mule deer buck on the way to town the other day, and she was sure it was yummy, then saw an owl, I pulled over to show her the owl because you just don't see them that often, and her response was "Can we eat it? Does it taste good?" Same little girl chants "Black Cows Matter" when we drive by the neighbors Angus herd"., My grandfather would roll over in his grave.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
as previously mentioned, took my four year old great grandson shooting a month or so ago.
when we got back he was in the gun room marking his territory on the ones he wanted.
i don't have any worries. Little does he know things are already set aside for him.
did the same thing for his father at about the same age.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by BobMt
Depends on which market. I made a killing on crap AKs, used ARs and a couple of FALs after Obammy was elected. A Norinco AK w/ 3 chink mags would gain $2000.00 from the scared and desperate.

mike r

I suck at Capitalism, I’d not sell a gun to a fellow gun enthusiast for more than I thought it was worth.

Birdwatcher

Still broke and full of misplaced loyalties wink

A gun enthusiast would already have the guns of his choice so would not have to buy in a seller's market. You do suck at capitalism.

mike r

People who weren’t gun enthusiasts paid $2,000 for Norincos? Naah, you price-gouged ‘em and then bragged on it here. No worries, you prob’ly didn’t need ‘em as repeat customers.

Birdwatcher
On track to become the most principled guy living under the bridge.

you can only price....gouged em…...if they let you......little old ladies excepted...….bob

Sorta like adultery I guess.

To paraphrase Rob Roy; integrity is a gift a man gives to himself cool People just have different standards of what that is, is all.

Birdwatcher
who’s gonna bore the crap out of everyone down at the mission.

You equate ignorance and poverty w/ integrity, how Gandhiesque. Gandhi drank his own urine and wore a diaper and also knew little about capitalism. You are a student of history yet don't remember the panic following Obammy's 1st election and the market demand for "assault" type rifles? I was employed by a gun store/range that quickly ran out of defense capable pistols and rifles. The owner begged the employees to sell their surplus items to help w/ customer demand. Customers would have bidding wars on the sales floor to be able to purchase these items.

Six months prior to this all guns were readily available and the market was brisk and the prices higher than today, the same w/ ammunition. Then things changed and the relative value sky rocketed and those that paid the new market price were ecstatic to acquire what they wanted. Supply and demand is a simple concept.

The topic was the value of guns as an investment not how being a broke dick leads to enlightenment.

Most of the seious shooters that I know remember those times and have planned accordingly and will not get caught short again. I would guess that more than a few of the members here think that 10k rounds of ammo is a good start.

YMMV

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you buy a GOOD competition shotgun (not some whiz-bang Benelli type) new in a gun shop, it loses 20% of its value when you carry it out the door. It loses 10% more when you fire one shell out of it. You will have to keep it (in mint condition) for 10 years to hope to break even.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bugs4
If you buy a GOOD competition shotgun (not some whiz-bang Benelli type) new in a gun shop, it loses 20% of its value when you carry it out the door. It loses 10% more when you fire one shell out of it. You will have to keep it (in mint condition) for 10 years to hope to break even.

And Heaven help you should you replace a screw or something.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Did some reading a while back after reading about Harley Davidsons future business plans - things are changing at a fast pace with the younger generation . Happened across an article/blog saying that things like the rock climbing walls in shopping malls were mostly gone - other stuff due to lack of interest etc. .
I know quite a few lads from 35 years old down to 20 years olds and basically none of them have any interest in nice rifles - firearms in general - one has an AK-47 the other M1A that his Dad gave him .
I'm in two leases and the number of youths has dropped off a lot in the last ten years - Dads say their kids just aren't interested in anything outdoors . The ones that do come live on their phone the whole time - 9-10 years old on a phone constantly - no interest in hunting or gun talk .

That leads me to believe that many will inherit firearms or dad/grandad will try to sell them off and all of us ''mature'' guys will be full up on guns . That will lead to a huge surplus of unwanted firearms .
You reckon ?

I worked out some time ago that anything I am interested in purchasing will accrue in value whilst anything I actually have won't be worth anything, so I decided to buy what interests me and hang the consequences.

Someone else can worry about the value.

Beats me why everyone around where I live has a hard-on for plastic and stainless, but that is their problem and I have mine own to work through.

Last edited by JSTUART; 10/29/19.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I've never really looked at mine as investments, although I suppose they are worth a little money. The rare firearms will always be worth some money, and if you're a collector of say, 1873 Winchesters, then your rifles will always have value to them. On the flip side, if you bought some AR's years back when they were fetching a premium, and you want to sell them now, you're going to lose money.

As an example, my late brother had a nice gun collection, and when he knew he was dying from cancer, he told his wife that it was his wish to use the guns to help send his grandkids to college. My ex-sister-in-law contacted me recently about helping her sell some of them, and I agreed to do so. She had gotten a neighbor, an "internet expert" to look up some prices on some of them, and of course the fool went on Gunbroker and looked up some of the prices on guns that someone is hoping to sell for more than it's worth. When I told her that her $1200-1500 rifle is only worth $500 today, she must have thought I was lowballing her, because I haven't heard back from her.

The thing that a lot of people don't get is that while some guns hold their value, and even increase, others do not, and with this being a buyers market today, many sellers are disappointed when they try to unload theirs.

I remember our pm conversation about this.
Tell her to suck an egg and go find her end of the rainbow buyer.

I hope you charged her full price for her share of the bush hogging bill also.

I would take an approach to her dealing with anything money wise.
With her same greedy top dollar mindset.

Her true colors are showing , family or not......

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[/quote]
Laffin' here.
Mr. "Principle".
You know , that guy that is still telling students, co-workers and fellow homeless people on Salvation Army free hot dog nite, how he pedaled and toiled all over the west last summer.......

Did you have a stationary bike in the motor home you toured in?
[/quote]

Leave the man alone. At least he rode his bicycle some hundreds if not a thousand miles or more while many of us sat on the couch and tapped away on our keyboards.

Seems like he can take care of himself, but two things: 1) he stands up for what he believes in although it might not fit just right with some on this board, and 2) he isn't alone in being a doer and, probably, a bit of a dreamer too.

Give him credit for what he says and does, I do, or just keep to yourself. I believe that having dreams and executing against them are among the factors in what makes a man, and BW seems to me to be consistent and worthy in this regard, even if I may differ from him in my own objectives.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Guns are a lousy investment, IMHO, simply because it takes a lot of effort to sell them.

I inherited about 100 of them and decided to sell about 80 plus the ones I already had and would never shoot any more. To do that I had to go to a lot of gun shows. I averaged 10% less than Fjested's said was the "going" price. I later sold some to friends and a dealeer and got less than that. Selling themm is one at a time.

If you have a lot of stock, by contrast, one phone call gets all the proceeds put in your checking account the next day.

Besides, gun prices are fickle based on trends. In the late 1950s, 19th century guns could be picked up for a song. Then the westerns hit TV and gthe Civil War centennial happened. Prices went up. Now everyone wants "tacticool" junk. Harder tio fiind buyers for a Model 70.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by renegade50
I've never really looked at mine as investments, although I suppose they are worth a little money. The rare firearms will always be worth some money, and if you're a collector of say, 1873 Winchesters, then your rifles will always have value to them. On the flip side, if you bought some AR's years back when they were fetching a premium, and you want to sell them now, you're going to lose money.

As an example, my late brother had a nice gun collection, and when he knew he was dying from cancer, he told his wife that it was his wish to use the guns to help send his grandkids to college. My ex-sister-in-law contacted me recently about helping her sell some of them, and I agreed to do so. She had gotten a neighbor, an "internet expert" to look up some prices on some of them, and of course the fool went on Gunbroker and looked up some of the prices on guns that someone is hoping to sell for more than it's worth. When I told her that her $1200-1500 rifle is only worth $500 today, she must have thought I was lowballing her, because I haven't heard back from her.

The thing that a lot of people don't get is that while some guns hold their value, and even increase, others do not, and with this being a buyers market today, many sellers are disappointed when they try to unload theirs.

I remember our pm conversation about this.
Tell her to suck an egg and go find her end of the rainbow buyer.

I hope you charged her full price for her share of the bush hogging bill also.

I would take an approach to her dealing with anything money wise.
With her same greedy top dollar mindset.

Her true colors are showing , family or not......

I'll probably still be waiting 10 years from now for any money from her. I may just sell a few walnut trees from that particular piece of property, and call it even.....lol.

The problem with figuring out the value of a firearm is that any person who ever got a cap pistol or a BB gun for Christmas when they were a kid, becomes an "expert" later on in life, and knows everything there is to know about guns. I'll never forget the time a man asked me $1000 for a beat up 1895 Mauser, that appeared to have been tied behind a car and hauled down a gravel road. The man said he had been told by a friend who as an "expert" on guns, that the rifle was a rare collectors item. He truly believed it was too. I didn't want to burst his bubble, so I just walked away.

Last edited by JamesJr; 10/29/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had a gun dealer friend tell me you make money when you buy the gun. Now with the internet and auctions, you can occasionally make money on the sell end if two or more bidders go nuts over a particular gun.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's like any other investment- Managed well it pays off- Managed poorly, it is a disaster.

For the short term, buying needs to be done when the market is soft (now vs October 2016). Some guns may stagnate in value, some never lose their value (Merkel 88 in .500 NE, or a Holland & Holland double).

Others will never increase in value, long or short term, examples being the crap that Hi-Point or Jiminez puts out.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Same thing happened to me when a buddy passed away, and his wife asked me about disposing of his guns. He had some decent guns, but they all had plenty of 'character', too. I got with a dealer friend and he worked out a fair and decent set of prices for her, on the transferable stuff (he had some class 3 stuff, too). She'd been talking to her FIL, and had a very exaggerated idea of what they were worth. She ran us off, and hasn't been in contact since. It doesn't hurt my feelings any, as I didn't like her much, anyway.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tzone
and you'll continue to sleep on a cot.

A cot? You get to sleep on a COT? grin

I sleep on the floor so I don't forget how, tile floor on a heavy cotton painter's tarp by an open window. Wool blanket season is creeping up. Every morning I get to practice getting up off the ground without handholds. No small thing for us old guys.

The biggest downside to my present situation is scrambling to leave something behind for my son and his daughter.

If'n I don't make to age 70 they get more'n a half-million dollars, if I do, he gets my house and prob'ly a used truck for sure, plus I contribute to his 401K.

All without gouging folks in time of panic.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,501
Posts18,452,509
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.