Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: SEPTEMBER column--Sighting-In [Re: 1minute] #14240392 10/29/19
gnoahhh Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
Yes. Over time, one eventually witnesses all. Years back as we were preseason zeroing, we met a gentleman insisting we were doing it all wrong. One must zero firing from an off hand standing position.

There's actually a smidgen of truth to that. I noticed a lot when I was an avid smallbore silhouette shooter that I was off by a little with my offhand practice shooting versus benchrest sight-in. Differences between rest versus hand hold don'tcha know. (That's not to say I don't sight in off the bench and call it good today.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
300 BP

Re: SEPTEMBER column--Sighting-In [Re: gnoahhh] #14240874 10/29/19
whelennut Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was younger there was a difference between my offhand zero and my sitting rapid fire zero.
(Both 200 yards)
Hint, slingtension.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Re: SEPTEMBER column--Sighting-In [Re: Mule Deer] #14240946 10/30/19
dan_oz Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dan,

In 2011 I killed a Cape buffalo in Tanzania that had a missing "spinous process" at the top of the shoulder area, with round scars on either side, indicating somebody had shot high and didn't QUITE miss. I always wondered what happened after that high shot, since those often put big game down--but don't keep them there!

That could have led to some excitement!

Re: SEPTEMBER column--Sighting-In [Re: gnoahhh] #14240953 10/30/19
dan_oz Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by 1minute
Yes. Over time, one eventually witnesses all. Years back as we were preseason zeroing, we met a gentleman insisting we were doing it all wrong. One must zero firing from an off hand standing position.

There's actually a smidgen of truth to that. I noticed a lot when I was an avid smallbore silhouette shooter that I was off by a little with my offhand practice shooting versus benchrest sight-in. Differences between rest versus hand hold don'tcha know.

I've found the same thing. I zero from a rested position, but with the rifle held in both hands, and the back of my left hand on the rest, for the reason that that gives me a POI best representative of what I'll get for shots in the field. POI from resting directly on the bags front and rear tends to be different.

Wherever possible I take shots in the field from a similar hold: more often than not kneeling supported, or less often from lying supported or some other supported position, using some sort of improvised rest such as a post, stump, tree, or daypack. Offhand is a little different for POI, but I don't take the longer shots from that position - mostly quick snap shots, often at running animals - and so the difference isn't enough to matter.

Re: SEPTEMBER column--Sighting-In [Re: Mule Deer] #14373563 12/15/19
PaulBarnard Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
John, I am spending the morning doing some reading and have been catching up on some of these threads. In the above anecdotes, and I am sure on countless other occasions, you have encountered shooters taking a torturous path to getting their guns sighted in. You are ever the polite professor here on the forum, often taking time to share your knowledge and experience and correcting errant thinking. In the above instances, you just let the shooters go on doing their thing rather than nurturing them along. Is that because your experience tells you that it is hopeless to try to do anything about it?

Alpha

Re: SEPTEMBER column--Sighting-In [Re: PaulBarnard] #14374796 12/15/19
Mule Deer Online Content OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
I generally do NOT suggest anything to shooters at the range, unless they specifically ask. In general, they're already convinced they're doing things correctly--and even if they have some doubts, resent other people making suggestions.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Re: SEPTEMBER column--Sighting-In [Re: Mule Deer] #14374857 12/15/19
Whttail_in_MT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best practices are to keep head down and don't even make eye contact.

Re: SEPTEMBER column--Sighting-In [Re: Mule Deer] #14374948 12/15/19
Puddle Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The last time I recommended ANYTHING to a shooter at the range was to ask him "hey! do you really wanna walk out there while the others are shooting?"

Re: SEPTEMBER column--Sighting-In [Re: Puddle] #14374990 12/15/19
Mule Deer Online Content OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Yeah, in case of emergency I have made some pretty strident suggestions--such as when some high-school age boy was loading his rifle with the barrel point right down the line of benches, and his father paid no attention.

But technical advice, no, not unless asked.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1
Who's Online Now
706 registered members (1minute, 1Akshooter, 117LBS, 160user, 73 invisible), 3,466 guests, and 624 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2020 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.