Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Appreciate the update. Just curious what the "real" all up weight turns out to be...

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When the weather breaks I'm going to get out the sport touring bike, grab the wife and head to Kalispell for an overnight trip.
Hopefully I'll be able to look around the company, handle a XAR rifle or two.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Talked to the dealer today and ordered one in 7mm-08. $1500 and 6-8 month lead time. Dealer said they plan on expanding the chamberings down the road.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lot of us will be curious as to how it all works out for you. If the do it right they might end up selling a bunch of them, if they do a 6.5 PRC in the future I'll be very interested.......

Gerry.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gerry35
A lot of us will be curious as to how it all works out for you. If the do it right they might end up selling a bunch of them, if they do a 6.5 PRC in the future I'll be very interested.......

X2

I look forward to both of your thoughts and comments, broomd and ammo. And especially a range report from ammo!

Last edited by Wrongside; 03/02/19.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I spoke to someone at MRC yesterday and was informed that they are opting to no longer offer this rifle for some reason. They are honoring all orders that where placed prior to that decision, however. I'm glad I got my order in when I did.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Appreciate the update. That confirms the observation that they removed the XAR from their website some time over the past couple months. Still look forward to your thoughts and comments after you receive yours !

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
It's pretty disappointing to see them discontinue this before they even shipped the first rifle. He did say they have some new stuff coming out for 2020 but wouldn't/couldn't elaborate.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I just picked up my MRC XAR and I have to say I am extremely disappointed in it. I'll start with the good. The fit and finish seem to be pretty good and the bolt cycles pretty smoothly. Now for the problem. This gun that was advertised as 5 lbs 10 oz comes in at 6 lbs 11 oz on my scale. This thing looks identical to my X3 other than the barrel being fluted and stock color. If I had known the weight before I left the dealer I'd have told him to keep it. I have called and left a message at MRC and can't wait to hear what they have to say about this. it.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Sorry to hear that they missed the advertised weight by more than a pound. Bummer.

One question, if you take the rifle apart, would be curious regarding the weight of the barreled action and separately, the stock. Before MRC took down the XAR web page, they had a particular wording for the "special lightweight carbon fiber" stock. I would be curious to know what the stock actually weighs? The X2 stocks that I had were 32 oz for the Short Action, and 31 oz for the Long Action.

Curious if MRC actually shaved any weight off of the XAR stock? Or, just marketing?

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I'll get a weight on it at some point. IIRC my X3 .300 came in at about a half ounce less than this before I scoped it. It's complete garbage that this thing weighs more than a gun that it was supposed to weigh a pound less than. Especially when they charged significantly more than the X3 for it and I had to settle for a different caliber than I would have gotten had I bought the X3.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Sounds like they sent you a X3. Something is wrong, I would send it back.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ejo
Sounds like they sent you a X3. Something is wrong, I would send it back.

I agree. However, the box and gun itself are marked as the XAR. We'll see what they have to say whenever they call back.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hope they do right by you!! I had that happen recently-- bought one of the Remington 700 Police 300wm with 24", threaded, 5R barrel- advertised at 8lbs... well upon arrival it weighed 9lbs, 2oz bare naked!

Shoots great but the 'extra' heft is more than the scope I put on top of it... Not a huge deal for a stand/sendero gun... but I would be UNHAPPY in your shoes if my mountain gun came in at nearly 7lbs bare.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WTH? Wow, sorry to read this. I too, had hoped that you were in for a special rifle.

Should have known, It seems like these rifle companies don't think anything of false advertising re. weights of their guns.
Melvin's nula guns and the Forbes offerings are the only LH ones that I've ever seen live up to the 'true lightweight' hype.

Damn shame that Weatherby won't market a LH super lightweight in non-magnum like their righties.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I spoke to MRC today and it sounds like they're willing to work on a solution. The problem is that I don't know if their really is a solution that will be acceptable as anything short of what I thought I was ordering really isn't something I need or want. From what I was told they were having issues with the #1 co tour barrel that the gun was supposed to come with so they decided to just start making them with a heavier contour. I speculate this is why they stopped offering the rifle as it is now just an X3 with flutes for $300 more.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Only solution I'd want from them at this point would be a full refund-- gun, shipping, ffl transfer, all of it--

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ammoman16
.... From what I was told they were having issues with the #1 co tour barrel that the gun was supposed to come with so they decided to just start making them with a heavier contour. I speculate this is why they stopped offering the rifle as it is now just an X3 with flutes for $300 more.

Unbelievable that a company would fail to contact a buyer about that change in design.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by ammoman16
I spoke to MRC today and it sounds like they're willing to work on a solution. The problem is that I don't know if their really is a solution that will be acceptable as anything short of what I thought I was ordering really isn't something I need or want. From what I was told they were having issues with the #1 co tour barrel that the gun was supposed to come with so they decided to just start making them with a heavier contour. I speculate this is why they stopped offering the rifle as it is now just an X3 with flutes for $300 more.

The picture that MRC showed in the (no-longer available) XAR web page was a Winchester Featherweight pattern barrel contour. The two MRC XAR's listed on Gun Broker both have Feather Weight contour barrels as well.

Both Douglas and Lilja have no issue turning Featherweight barrels up to .30 caliber. If the folks at MRC are genuinely interested in "making it right", they should be willing to source a true feather weight contour barrel (as shown on their website) from a reputable barrel maker and fit it to their action.

Hate to hear the head ache you are going thru with this rifle. Hope you are able to work out a mutually agreeable deal with MRC...

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
772 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 77 invisible), 3,035 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,368
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.