Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I had a shot a couple months ago. My first.

I've been bone on bone for about 30 years and 12 years before that had a poorly done surgery that dropped me often and tore up cartilage in the knee that would get into the joint and had to be forced out. Not fun. When it got locked up and neither I or the doc, good doc this time, couldn't free it up, I had another surgery that removed all the cartilage. That was about 30 years ago.

The doc I went to to talk to about a replacement called the shot "steroids" and it took a while before it helped but now, my knee feels better than it has for about 42 years, prior to the "accident".

I'm going to try and have a replacement either this year or right after. I've been doing PT to strengthen my legs, which have atrophied over the years due to two surgeries.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by victoro
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Originally Posted by Dess
Check into some of the stem cell stuff. Seriously...just check it out.

I've been looking into that....my knees aren't great but I'm hoping that some of this new stuff might be able to help fix things before it's too late. Apparently there is a couple places in Canada that are starting to do some of this stuff, fortunately.

They do the stem cell shots in the USA too. A friend had his right knee replaced last year and his Doc recommended trying a stem shot in his left knee before doing a joint replacement. It's $2500 a shot and our insurance doesn't cover any of the cost yet.

Agreed . Beats major surgery.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
tag

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I know two people that received stem cell injection into their knee(s).
Both went TKA in less than a year.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had my last two “rooster booster” injections last month. I have TKR X 2 set for February. It’s been a looong painful ride. Gonna be hell on earth for about 6 weeks after surgery I’m told. OTOH one surgery, one anesthesia, one stay in rehab. I want to get this done so I can get on to better health. That Airedale is wearing me like a hat trying to stay up. I’m glad he seems to understand!

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
My knees have been an issue for forty years. First surgery on the left in '79 before arthroscopic. Left scoped in 2001 and right in 2002. Had both replaced 2009. The inside half of both was bone on bone. Couldn't bend the left knee enough to change gears on the motorcycle and looks like I had been on a horse for all my life. They have been good until about two years ago. Left was giving trouble. Hurting. Getting stiff. Finally went to the doc. Left knee is pretty much permanently about half again as big as the right. Doc tried twice to get fluid out, but none to be had. Scheduled for surgery early January to replace the plastic pad in the left one. X-rays showed it was wearing and shouldn't be. Whatever else is a problem will be fixed at the same time.

Before the replacement and scopings, I had cortisone in the left knee. It helped for a little bit, but not lone.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I've been down the replacement road in 17. Physical therapy is a PAIN! Best thing after about 3 weeks is a stationary bike to get the knee moving and bending.
Hope the best for all with your surgeries.

Steve

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gkt5450
I had my last two “rooster booster” injections last month. I have TKR X 2 set for February. It’s been a looong painful ride. Gonna be hell on earth for about 6 weeks after surgery I’m told. OTOH one surgery, one anesthesia, one stay in rehab. I want to get this done so I can get on to better health. That Airedale is wearing me like a hat trying to stay up. I’m glad he seems to understand!

I wish you luck. Not to be a wet blanket, but my surgeon won't do doubles. Too high a risk....not of complications, but of death!

Three months apart is mo betta. Otherwise, a feller ain't got a leg to stand on.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My surgeon will only do singles. He is pretty big time and does a ton of pro sports guys.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RickyD
I had a shot a couple months ago. My first.

I've been bone on bone for about 30 years and 12 years before that had a poorly done surgery that dropped me often and tore up cartilage in the knee that would get into the joint and had to be forced out. Not fun. When it got locked up and neither I or the doc, good doc this time, couldn't free it up, I had another surgery that removed all the cartilage. That was about 30 years ago.

The doc I went to to talk to about a replacement called the shot "steroids" and it took a while before it helped but now, my knee feels better than it has for about 42 years, prior to the "accident".

I'm going to try and have a replacement either this year or right after. I've been doing PT to strengthen my legs, which have atrophied over the years due to two surgeries.

Just don't do what my wife did. She didn't move her knees enough and let the soft tissue get stiff and made her not able to have normal range of motion. She waited too long to get surgery and when she finally did, it was 10 times more painful and she was several weeks longer in therapy than usual. Keep moving and flexing your knee and get it as loose as you can before surgery...you think it hurts to move it now? Just wait until they split it open and it is healing and swollen. ........you will thank me later.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Sbrown

I thought about getting a Frankenstein stitches tattoo on my scar line. Wife objected heavily. I don’t have any tattoos at all. The scar is there nonetheless.

Mine was glued together, no stitches.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No staples for me either.

PA closes and had a previous stint w a plastic surgeon. He uses those skills to stitch from the inside leaving only a barely visible line on the skin.

It’s not like I was concerned what with previous knee insults, but some clients are, so that’s how they do it.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

I've been down the replacement road in 17. Physical therapy is a PAIN! Best thing after about 3 weeks is a stationary bike to get the knee moving and bending.

Steve

Would you do it again?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
My Growler has had both knees replaced 4 months apart. PT started 1 day post op and was attacked like a wildwoman.. Then she fell in Idaho and broke her patella. Yet another surgery ad more PT. Today, 11 weeks post op, we hiked 4.7 miles in the mountains north of Jackson, Wy. Never quit. Pain is just weakness leaving the body.grin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

My dad had both done at once, said he wouldn't do that again. I thought I needed them both, turns out I didn't, but surgeon said he STRONGLY says no to that. The additional time under raised the chances of heart issues/death astronomically. PT is WAY worse as well.

PT starts in the hospital and continues from there. Work it, but don't over do it, do what they say. Friend of mine went at it to hard and it caused SERIOUS swelling issues that put him on the couch for a week with his leg elevated, no PT, no walking etc. That made it harder to get started again

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wife had one knee done a year after a shoulder fix. Said the knee was a piece of cake in comparison. She didn't hit it hard enough on the PT by my estimation, but after 2 years is fairly pain free and gets around pretty good. Keeps putting off the other knee though.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Terryk
My knees are bone on bone, my meniscus wore out. So I am a bit young for prosthesis, so my surgeon gives me the Euflexxa shots in the fall so I can hunt. They last 6-9 months for me. They are a lubricant and you get 1 shot per week, for 3 weeks. My swelling always goes down after the first shot. I think this is my 5th year, and the 3rd year was not so effective. My third injection was today, and the improvement is night and day.
I did not get the fake crazy bill yet but I think they were something like 1000 per knee per shot. I could be off on that. I think I pay 250 total under my insurance.
Anyway it works for me, and it might be something to help on the hunt.

https://www.drugs.com/cdi/euflexxa.html

I also had bone-on-bone and got shots for about a year or so. They helped but didn't work in the end. I've had both knees replaced and things are good again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickyD

Steve

Would you do it again?

Yes! Fixed all my knee problems. Make sure you have the best surgeon you can find.
They are staples not stitches.

Last edited by Sbrown; 10/31/19.

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (12344mag, 300jimmy, 338reddog, 2UP, 35, 007FJ, 17 invisible), 1,509 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,584
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.