Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been predominantly a GM guy, but I need another diesel truck to tow trailers with. I've got five big trailers, 3 gooseneck and 2 bumper pull. GM's quality and warranty service has let me down one too many times. The latest truck is a 2016 2500HD High Country. Within the first year, the wax coating GM puts on frames started falling off and the frame started turbo rusting, they sort of half-ässed fixed it once, but the rust continues and looks terrible. Either way, I'm keeping this truck for my wife to drive this winter.

I swung into a FORD dealership today and drove an F350 Lariat 4x4 CC 8' Bed SRW. It was really comfortable, drove and handled well, the frame is painted and the body is Aluminum. I'm thinking it's time for a change. While I'm familiar with GM's truck configurations, Ford's is not just new to me, but has lots more options.

Do I get a 10,000lb GVWR F250 with the beefed up suspension in the following (basically a derated F350 SRW)

-F250 HIGH-CAPACITY TRAILER TOW PACKAGE1 (F-250 with diesel engine): 3.0" trailer hitch receiver, max. front springs, upgraded axles and 25,700-lb. GCWR

-CAMPER PACKAGE:1 front springs upgrade (unless maximum springs have been computer-selected as included equipment), rear stabilizer bar (SRW), auxiliary rear springs (F-250), and slide-in camper certification

-5TH-WHEEL/GOOSENECK TRAILER TOW PREP PACKAGE:1 1 under-bed frame crossmember, 5 pickup bed 5th-wheel/gooseneck attachment points and close-out plugs, and an integrated 7-pin connector on the driver’s side pickup bed wall

Or an 11,400 or 11,500 GVWR F350 SRW with

-5TH-WHEEL/GOOSENECK TRAILER TOW PREP PACKAGE:1 1 under-bed frame crossmember, 5 pickup bed 5th-wheel/gooseneck attachment points and close-out plugs, and an integrated 7-pin connector on the driver’s side pickup bed wall

Are there any other features that are must haves or must avoid?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I just bought a 2019 10k GVW 250 Kingston.

I got the camper package that came with the heavier springs and alternator. It sits approximately 1” taller than normal with this package and the snowplow prep is 2” taller and comes with an even heavier duty alternator. I was leery but it rides like a Cadillac compared to the 2002 10k 1ton I had before it.

My criteria when me and the dealer were looking for a truck was locking diff and rubber floors with cloth seats. I also like the base model radio/info center. I had heard too many horror stories of constant updates and system crashes to try the Sync3 navigation/information/stereo.

I’m a gasoline guy, not pulling a backhoe around every day for a living so I stay away from diesels. If gas is an option you can be confident in the 6.2. We have a pretty big fleet at work and they drive the piss out of them on and off road. In millions of miles the head mechanic told me last week they’ve replaced one transmission and two transfer cases. Other than that just oil and filters.

Of course we have a pretty good flock of F550 diesels now and they’ve been trouble free so far. They just added the diesels in 2017. The 2 Ram 5500 diesels bought at the same time have already been banished to the auction for being garbage.

One other thing I discovered when buying mine. If you don’t have to have all the heated seats and real whizbangs you get with the top trims. You can get a pretty dang nicely equipped pickup a fair bit cheaper by getting an XL with the STX package over an XLT. Mine is an STX and has 2 less features than my dad’s XLT, both features I didn’t want, plus mine had the factory spray in liner. Mine was about $3k less sticker price.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you!!!!

This is exactly the sort of response I was hoping for.

I've been looking at pretty loaded trucks, frankly because it's easy. I don't need a whole bunch of whiz bang crap. I like a quiet cab. The truck I drove today was remarkably quiet compared to my Silverado.

I like comfortable seats with plenty of adjustment. The convenience of the rear cameras for hooking up trailers and parking at the grocery store is appealing, but I could live without them. I have no need for Navigation or an infotainment center. I don't need a 2000 stereo system or a colossal moon roof. Given the option, I'd like marker lights.

A decent blue tooth connection for clear hands-free telephoning would be great.

Spray-on bedliner is a must.

I tow heavy, so a diesel is a must.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by kingston
I've been predominantly a GM guy, but I need another diesel truck to tow trailers with. I've got five big trailers, 3 gooseneck and 2 bumper pull. GM's quality and warranty service has let me down one too many times. The latest truck is a 2016 2500HD High Country. Within the first year, the wax coating GM puts on frames started falling off and the frame started turbo rusting, they sort of half-ässed fixed it once, but the rust continues and looks terrible. Either way, I'm keeping this truck for my wife to drive this winter.

I swung into a FORD dealership today and drove an F350 Lariat 4x4 CC 8' Bed SRW. It was really comfortable, drove and handled well, the frame is painted and the body is Aluminum. I'm thinking it's time for a change. While I'm familiar with GM's truck configurations, Ford's is not just new to me, but has lots more options.

Do I get a 10,000lb GVWR F250 with the beefed up suspension in the following (basically a derated F350 SRW)

-F250 HIGH-CAPACITY TRAILER TOW PACKAGE1 (F-250 with diesel engine): 3.0" trailer hitch receiver, max. front springs, upgraded axles and 25,700-lb. GCWR

-CAMPER PACKAGE:1 front springs upgrade (unless maximum springs have been computer-selected as included equipment), rear stabilizer bar (SRW), auxiliary rear springs (F-250), and slide-in camper certification

Or an 11,400 or 11,500 GVWR F350 SRW with

Are there any other features that are must haves or must avoid?

Is Ins and licensing the same $$ for 3/4T vs. 1T in your state? In some states there's an advantage one way or the other.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by horse1

Is Ins and licensing the same $$ for 3/4T vs. 1T in your state? In some states there's an advantage one way or the other.

This is a great question! I'm going to register the truck in MI, so I'll have to look.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 2019 Ford diesels have 6 speed trans. Next year they get the 10 speed trans, and likely a extra 1-2 mpg. I'm going to look at one next spring, but I need payload more than towing, so I am thinking the new 7.3 gas engine.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Marker lights are $90 option IIRC and seem to be a kind of regional thing. When I was shopping it seemed like they were way more common on the East coast.

I’m pretty sure any trim level that has the power equipment group that gets you power windows, locks, mirrors, and cruise will come with Bluetooth capability. I know mine has it even though I haven’t bothered to get the manual out and figure it out.

And I’m %99 sure that any Super Duty that comes with a bed gets a backup camera now. I think I read that only cab and chassis orders could be had without a camera.

I’ve had two spray in liners before, one LineX and one Rhino. The Ford Toughbed spray in seems much more like the LineX which I much prefered. Time will tell how it holds up. And it was cheaper than I could have had it done at the closest LineX shop.

And yes this thing is amazingly quiet even compared to my 2016 F250 I drive at work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The first thing I'd consider is the dealer. Some are just better than others. A larger dealers isn't necessarily better. Start with Yelp and Google reviews to begin to get a picture of the Ford dealers in your area. Don't be afraid to drive a bit to find a good dealer, in the long run it will be worth it. I don't know where you live but I know L. B. Smith Ford in Lemoyne PA is good, my high school buddy worked their until this year and always had good things to say about them. Their google reviews back this up.

Beyond that, as mentioned above the 10 speed auto transmission is going to boost fuel economy and I'd wait for one if you can, but the 2020 Super Duty doesn't go into production until the second week of November and should show up on dealer lots sometime in the December / January time frame.

Good luck with your purchase!

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
With this new transmission coming out, you'd think Ford would have better incentives on the 2019s.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ford dealers will have gone without a delivery of a new Super Duty for around 6 months before they see a 2020, so inventories are getting low. I checked a local mega Ford dealer and they only have a handful of Super Duties in stock. Low inventory = low discount.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another thing to consider between the 250 and 350 and the 10K limit is that if you run a commercial vehicle over 10K across state lines, it becomes subject to a whole bunch of federal DOT reps, including hiring records, safety inspections, logbooks, and medical cards.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't expect to tag this with commercial plates, but that's an excellent point.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I really like the selectable locking rear diff ootion. You will like the rear view camera, you likely have had some trucks equipped with them i the past, not sure you can even get a superduty without one (with a bed).

Ive had 4 superduties. 7.3, 6.0 and 6.4 diesels and my current superduty is a 6.2 gas. I've had very good luck with all of them. I tried a 2500HD once, it was a frustrating experience that I don't care to repeat.

My current truck is a lariat, 2 of my previous ones were lariats. Them seats sure clean up nice.

Good luck.

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ford F250/350's are the greatest heavy duty pickups of all-time, no question.

Brian, if you have huge balls rip the factory emissions bullchit off of it ASAP.

Fuuck the warranty and live large......grin

Last edited by SamOlson; 10/31/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
After studying a few hundred window stickers, I'm still swimming in options. I really want the Lariat's comfortable seats, but don't need any of the other crap. I don't need a navigation system, especially one that I can talk to. I don't need FordPass Connect or to turn the truck into a wifi hotspot. I don't need adaptive steering, fake wood accents, carpet or a moonroof. Who the hell goes in to a Ford dealership asking for Super Duty with a colossal moon roof? Really, it's insane— horse women and Italians?

I found an almost perfectly equipped XL with STX package, it's missing one minor option. I worry about the fixed height seat, I've got lot's of 1000 mile trips coming, like 30.

My two current trucks are fully loaded. It's been my default path. It's easy, particularly when there's a really good deal to be had. Not being familiar with Fords is like fresh eyes. When configuring a truck build, I'm first checking off all the options my current trucks have that I've never used.

Regarding adaptive steering, my 2016 High Country has adaptive steering and I hate it. It's always trying to pull the wheel straight on the highway. The faster I drive the harder it tries. On any straight road with a crown, you end up holding the wheel so it's favoring whatever direction is toward the centerline. Just a bit, but adaptive steering tries to pull the wheel straight. It's merciless, until you've driven on a straightaway at 75mph for 20 minutes. It's a slow learner.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
“Loaded” trucks today are about ridiculous. In price and options.

My newest truck is an 02 and I mostly drive a 2000. The new XLs, Tradesmans, and equivalent are nicer inside than my 02 Denali. Seats wont be leather, but my hide isn’t that picky.

Good luck and hang a pic of whatever you get!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're near a major metro area, there should be a shop that can add power functionality to manual seats. Or if they're really good, they could find power seats out of a late model wreck swap them in. Any good Ford dealer service department should be able to point you in the right direction.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MadMooner
“Loaded” trucks today are about ridiculous. In price and options.

My newest truck is an 02 and I mostly drive a 2000. The new XLs, Tradesmans, and equivalent are nicer inside than my 02 Denali. Seats wont be leather, but my hide isn’t that picky.

Good luck and hang a pic of whatever you get!

I’m replacing my beloved 07 Classic LBZ Duramax. I took real good care of it, but the salt in the Northeast is hell on trucks. It’s got lots of rust and needs fenders, rockers, cab corners, cab mounts, shock mounts, cross members, fuel lines, fuel cooler, brake lines, etc. I pulled the bed to work on the frame, but I’m out of time.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by walt501
If you're near a major metro area, there should be a shop that can add power functionality to manual seats. Or if they're really good, they could find power seats out of a late model wreck swap them in. Any good Ford dealer service department should be able to point you in the right direction.

They want $4-5K for used 2017+ seat and console sets from what I'm seeing.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Selection of option gets really limited the way options are bundled..

Mine is an '11 and I think 2 generations out, so no current Info.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
635 members (12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 72 invisible), 2,941 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.