Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by slumlord
Heating it for what reason?
Because you want to be comfortable changing your own oil? Does she change the oil or swap out the brake pads?
Or, I don't like to be cold going from the heated cocoon of the car to the heated cocoon of the home?
Would a kerosene/diesel 500,000 kbtu salamander do for those brake jobs? That's what me and mrs slumlord use. Try to get the job done before you get dizzy and your eyes start burning.
If just for no real reason, what about a gas or propane overhead radiant heater?
Or that much square ftg, maybe a separate hvac zone, 1-1/2 ton gaspack.

For my wife, she wants the warm and comfy car and the warm move to the heated cocoon you mentioned. The ancillary benefit to me is working on the motorcycle, the boat, the truck, the tractor and just spending time out there scratching myself with nobody else around. Ya, I can do it in the ten degree garage; but, if the wife really NEEDS it, I'm in. Outdoors is number one. Outside the house in the garage is one of the next best things.

To answer another relevant question, the house is heated by both forced air gas and hot water heat. The hot water heat is not the sub-floor stuff they put in nowadays. The house is 28 years old and that hot water heat runs through baseboards.

I subscribe to the "Happy Wife, Happy Life" philosophy, so if my wife wanted heat in the garage, I'd make an honest effort to make it happen for her.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most of these ideas have merit, and could be made to work in your garage depending on your electric and gas supply sizes, ceiling height, budget, etc. The one thing that I would avoid for sure is a non-vented gas burning heater regardless of fuel type because of all the moisture it will dissipate into the space.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by tikkanut

My shop garage....steel framed.......insulated.......30 deep 50 long

R19 ceilings & walls.......came with steel garage package

walls beefed up.....4x8 rigid insulated sheeting 3/4" thick

then framed a 2x4 wall against that.....then added R13 rolled batting

Then sheeted it over with 1/2" OSB (wafer)...heat......the only way to go

NG radiant tube heater....this is 'U Tube type' (extendable) vents out north wall

Keep thermostat set about 68* all winter......2 insulated roll up doors/one walk through

Gas bill currently runs $63/month for house & garage..but just added NG stove in basement

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Worked under a lot of those over the years in cattle working sheds. My experience is that when they get some years on them, they really drop in their heat output. Down to below half what they originally produced. YMMV

Montana MOFO
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tikkanut

My shop garage....steel framed.......insulated.......30 deep 50 long

R19 ceilings & walls.......came with steel garage package

walls beefed up.....4x8 rigid insulated sheeting 3/4" thick

then framed a 2x4 wall against that.....then added R13 rolled batting

Then sheeted it over with 1/2" OSB (wafer)...heat......the only way to go

NG radiant tube heater....this is 'U Tube type' (extendable) vents out north wall

Keep thermostat set about 68* all winter......2 insulated roll up doors/one walk through

Gas bill currently runs $63/month for house & garage..but just added NG stove in basement

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These are great.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Just installed a 100k btu overhead radiant tube heater in my 30x40 shop...still waiting for the gas line to be connected so time will tell how it works. We use them at work though and I like them, think it's a better more comfortable heat than forced air.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a Natural gas 30,000 BTU radiant heater in my garage. It is a solid masonry building (brick on block) so I basically just keep everything in the 40s or 50s in super cold weather. It is a two car with an open rafter ceiling, so I don't expect it to be toasty hot in there when it's 10 degrees. It would heat the whole house pretty well in a basement. It sure makes working on my car nice when the frost is on!

Last edited by reivertom; 10/30/19.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I planned ahead- NG slab heat in my 32X40 running Glycol mix through the tubes. Thermostat bottomed out keeps it above 50.

Should have made it bigger! smile

Last edited by las; 10/30/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Heater in the garage?

Attached Images
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I just hung a 150,000 btu Reznor LP forced air.

Something clever here.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Heating it for what reason?

Because you want to be comfortable changing your own oil? Does she change the oil or swap out the brake pads?

Or, I don't like to be cold going from the heated cocoon of the car to the heated cocoon of the home?

Would a kerosene/diesel 500,000 kbtu salamander do for those brake jobs? That's what me and mrs slumlord use. Try to get the job done before you get dizzy and your eyes start burning.

If just for no real reason, what about a gas or propane overhead radiant heater?

Or that much square ftg, maybe a separate hvac zone, 1-1/2 ton gaspack.

I thought about heating mine with a propane unit of some kind, but I'm not using mine every day, so I bought a 75,000 btu Salamander at TSC. I'm too cheap to buy kerosene, so I burn diesel out of what I buy for the tractors. It will heat up my 30X30 garage in a very short time, and yes it does smell a little, as diesel is not as odorless as kerosene. But, it works for me, and that's all that matters.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
32'x48' w 12 ' ceilings. 125 BTU rerznor LP gas works like a charm. Heat the garage cost 200-300 per winter..

Don't gobble at me
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have a two car garage that I would call small. I just set up one of those electric heaters that looks like a fake fireplace. Easy peasy.

LOL
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Radiant heat heats the objects in the garage.....and concrete floor

Once warm it stays warm.....

To me..forced air is warm when its running......

when not running..its cold .......

https://www.glradiant.com/2019/01/29/infrared-radiant-vs-forced-air/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have a nice home with a standard sized 2 car garage, her suburban barely fits's I think time to install remote start for her.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for all of the input so far. I just need to do more research.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Salty303
First off what heats the house? Assuming its an attached garage an extension of your home heating system to the garage might be easiest and cheapest. Our place has a natural gas boiler with modern 'radiators' for lack of a better term in every room of the house. The garage is plumed with one of these units which works great. I keep the heat way down in the garage ~ 45 degrees just enough so it doesn't freeze as the doors have about zero insulating value (wood).

This.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Question for the folks who use any kind of flame gas heating systems.... do you store gasoline cans in an outside shed? I'm kind of paranoid....

Please don't feed the trolls!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We have Modine ceiling mounted natural gas heaters in our workshop and garage. The workshop is 32x32 with 10 foot ceilings. A flip of the thermostat will turn a 45F workshop into a 65F shop in less than 10 minutes.
Zero maintenance

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Question for the folks who use any kind of flame gas heating systems.... do you store gasoline cans in an outside shed? I'm kind of paranoid....

Well, that's why you also have a garden shed... Duh...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (17CalFan, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,165
Posts18,465,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.