Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by viking
I wish I knew how to borrow and post a story from Glock Talk.

There is an article about a guy in Alaska stopping a grizzly charge with a Glock 20 and HSM ammo.

Originally Posted by Dean Weingarten, Ammoland.com

U.S.A. –-(Ammoland.com)- On 19 September 2018, Jimmy Cox used his Glock model 20 10mm to stop the charging grizzly bear pictured, at 10 feet. The incident leading to the dramatic events occurred the previous evening.

On the evening of 18 September 2018, Anthony Reyna was happy and excited. He and his friend, Gary, were hunting moose on Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson north of and sharing a boundary with Anchorage, Alaska. Tony had drawn a moose tag for a bow hunt. He was using a 60 lb PSE ThunderBolt compound bow. He has owned the bow since he was a teenager. Tony and Gary set up and started moose calling about 6 p.m. After 40 minutes, they heard a bull moving in. They saw his antlers at 30 yards. Suddenly, a second bull appeared at 15 yards! It was not as big, but Tony was hunting for meat.

Tony was able to take a shot as the bull moved 20 yards out. The bull turned at the last moment; the arrow glanced off a rib. It did not spook the bull, but the bull moved off 200 yards. Tony stalked it to 24 yards and put an arrow through both lungs. This time the bull ran. As they tracked the bull, the blood trail ran out with the daylight. It wasn't safe to search in the dark. They decided to come back the next morning.
At 08:30 the next morning, Tony was back with his friends Jimmy Cox and Ron Sheldon. It was cool, cloudy, and calm. They found the end of the blood trail. Jimmy Cox had the lead with a Glock 20 10mm in a Blackhawk Serpa holster on his right hip. Jimmy is right-handed. The three friends are experienced combat veterans. They decided to do a grid search in the direction the blood trail was leading. Ron went up a hill to help guide the search from an elevated perspective.

The area is heavily wooded in black spruce and birch, some aspen, with plenty of undergrowth and downed trees.

Tony and Jimmy head out. They hear crows about 50 yards away. Jimmy says: “That's where your moose is.”

As they approached the area where they heard the crows, the birds kick up. Less than a second later, they hear the roar, directly ahead. From 10 yards away, a large grizzly is charging them full out.

Jimmy is in the lead, about five feet ahead of Tony. He has time for a startled “F*ck Bear!” as he draws the Glock from the Serpa. He has trained and practiced. The draw is smooth and fast from a retention holster. As the bear bounds over the downed spruce, Jimmy double taps, two shots, one to the chest, one to the head. The bear crashes down, 10 feet from Jimmy, dead right there (DRT). It is over in a couple of seconds.

The bear is a big grizzly bear. The friends call Fish and Game on base to report the self-defense killing. Mark, with Fish and Game, shows up. He has no issues with the shooting. He estimates the bear at 800-850 lbs. It squares at 7 1/2 feet.
They are instructed to go to Anchorage the next day to fill out the required paperwork, the Defense of Life and Property (DLP) report. They were already busy with the hard work of skinning the bear and dressing out the moose. The moose had been buried by the bear and had its ear and genitals ripped off.

The meat was judged salvageable. Fortunately, a co-worker was able to get his truck within 100 yards of the scene, minimizing pack-out time. Tony was able to get back home, get the meat through initial processing and stored by 9:30 p.m. It had been a long 30 hours.

Jimmy's Glock was loaded with 200 grain HSN bear loads. The first shot took the bear in the chest. It penetrated the right lung, through the chest cavity, and broke the spine. As the bear dropped, the second round caught it in the head. Neither round exited the bears body. The friends could not follow the second round wound channel, because the head, skin, and paws had to be turned in. Because the bear dropped nearly instantaneously, Tony believes the second bullet hit the brain or top of the spinal colum.

Another poster, LJ Miller, on facebook, suggested it was the same bear he had problems with one year before, in the same area, September of 2017. He and his partner went to some trouble to avoid shooting the grizzly, which harassed them while they were packing out a quartered moose. It is fortunate Jimmy was there, was well practiced with his Glock, and in the lead. It could easily have been a tragedy.

This use of a pistol to defend against bear attack was not reported in the news. Without diligent searching, no one but the participants would know about it. If you know of a defensive pistol use against bears, please contact us. We include every use where a pistol can be reasonably documented as being fired in defense against a bear, in our database.

Dean Weingarten

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/10/al...with-glock-10mm-on-elmendorf-richardson/

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by jimmyp
that is the eternal dilemma, a compact LW 9mm with 12 or so +P 147 grain hard cast bullets, or the much larger frame size 10mm, however after watching the 10 shoot through all of the gelatin I am leaning to the G29 with 220 grain hard cast. OTOH even a glock 30 loaded with the Buffalo bore 230 grain hard cast 45ACP ammo at 925 FPS would probably be interesting.

I have a g30s that will push a 230 wfn hard cast 870 fps. I also have a g40. I shoot the g40 with full loads much better.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I also favor the SF frame in 10mm and 45 Glocks,

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Pretty fair argument for carrying hot, too.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For those interested I have read a lot about 220 grain hard cast bullets not shooting well out of G20s. I don't have personal knowledge; but, I have read it enough such that I have been carrying 200 grain hard cast and they shoot great in my G20 and G29, even with the stock 17 lb spring if I forget to change it out. From what I have read it is usually an accuracy problem.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 10/30/19.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Texczech
Is the 20SF a smaller frame like the 21SF?

It's kind of skinnier.

Retired cat herder.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by g5m

It's kind of skinnier.

No, the 20SF and 21SF frames are exactly the same part. There is no difference between them other than the top ends (slide/barrel/etc) and the magazines.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
For those interested I have read a lot about 220 grain hard cast bullets not shooting well out of G20s. I don't have personal knowledge; but, I have read it enough such that I have been carrying 200 grain hard cast and they shoot great in my G20 and G29, even with the stock 17 lb spring if I forget to change it out. From what I have read it is usually an accuracy problem.

I've read that years ago, but it was always in reference to a particular manufacturer's ammo (Double Tap). Those issues all seemed to be caused by undersized bullets and weren't really anything to do with the weight; at that time some people were reporting pulled bullet diameters as small as.397-.398", when they should have been .401"-.402". That's definitely enough undersized to cause accuracy problems. That was 10-12 years ago though; I have no idea if Double Tap has fixed that by now, but would guess they probably have.

I've cast and loaded several different 220gr bullets over the years, even one design I made up myself, and never had accuracy issues with any of them in Glocks or other pistols.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SF stands for short frame and is slightly (but noticeably) shorter in the front to back dimension, as compared to a regular non-SF gen 3. It is not narrower in the side to side dimension. As has been mentioned, the 20 sf and 21 sf are the same lower.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

I've read that years ago, but it was always in reference to a particular manufacturer's ammo (Double Tap). Those issues all seemed to be caused by undersized bullets and weren't really anything to do with the weight; at that time some people were reporting pulled bullet diameters as small as.397-.398", when they should have been .401"-.402". That's definitely enough undersized to cause accuracy problems. That was 10-12 years ago though; I have no idea if Double Tap has fixed that by now, but would guess they probably have.

I've cast and loaded several different 220gr bullets over the years, even one design I made up myself, and never had accuracy issues with any of them in Glocks or other pistols.

That's good to know.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That guy that shot that bear would have felt more confident and more well armed if he would have had a 9MM. Maybe a Kimber Micro Nine with 147 grain +P hardcast carried in Calvary fashion with the butt forward

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
From what I have read ,the grip frame size of a Gen 4 G20 without one of the other backstraps installed is smaller than the Gen 3 20, with some even claiming that it is a wee bit smaller than the Gen 3 SF..

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

C
coobie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
That guy that shot that bear would have felt more confident and more well armed if he would have had a 9MM. Maybe a Kimber Micro Nine with 147 grain +P hardcast carried in Calvary fashion with the butt forward

Another dumb ass to put on IGNORE.Please don"t breed the world cannot handle many more like you.

Last edited by coobie; 10/31/19.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
That took place a long time ago.

And a shout out to Skeen for posting that article. The pictures on GT will you pause, damn those bears are big.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by bcraig
From what I have read ,the grip frame size of a Gen 4 G20 without one of the other backstraps installed is smaller than the Gen 3 20, with some even claiming that it is a wee bit smaller than the Gen 3 SF..

The gen 4 G20 frame size is essentially the same dimensions as the gen 3 SF frame. Both are shorter front-back than the gen 2 and non-SF gen 3 frames.

Glock basically figured out partway through gen 3 that they were losing sales on the large frame pistols because the frames were too big for a lot of shooters, so they went with the shorter SF frame and have stuck with that size for gen 4.

C
coobie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Finally got some time in to shoot my new glock 20 sf 10mm..Put 20 rounds of underwood 220 gr.hard cast & 20 rounds & 20 rounds PMC 170 gr.JHP down the barrel.At 15 yards both shot very tight groups.Happy so far.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Nice, thanks for the update

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How about the recoil/rate of fire thing compared with the 9 mil wimposaursus?

C
coobie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 5thShock
How about the recoil/rate of fire thing compared with the 9 mil wimposaursus?
Little more recoil verses my 9mm Glock 43x but not much my old hands could not handle.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by g5m

It's kind of skinnier.

No, the 20SF and 21SF frames are exactly the same part. There is no difference between them other than the top ends (slide/barrel/etc) and the magazines.

Right. I misstated.

Retired cat herder.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,489
Posts18,452,068
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.