Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I stayed after work yesterday to build this shooting tree. I liked the one so much when I went to shoot with my dad in Winnemucca, that I had to have my own. I'll set up where most shots are going to be from 400 to 450 yards. Let me tell you, that 2" target on the upper right is a hard one to hit. I managed hitting the one in Winnemucca 8 out of 10 times from 400 yards away. I think I will call it the "proving" tree. Anyone that thinks they have a 1/2 moa rifle, that 2" target is for them....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm more of a paper shooter, but my boss likes shooting at the pit on private property where we can set up at 450 yards and plink steel. This one will be great fun. Targets range from 2" diameter up to 12" diameter circles. I cut the circles out by hand at the shop and used 1/2" AR plate. The circles are suspended by 3/4" rebar. Bullets should glance off of all the surfaces, used angle iron for the frame. I made it so the targets pivot or swing away when you hit them. They are removable as well, so you can disassemble and set up easier. Should last for years. Here's what 400 yards looks like from where we set up our benches:

The targets are set up in the shaded area in the upper center of the pic...^^^^ In this picture, my bench is set up at 400 yards from the target.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
ARIC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm liking that.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JFC...All that skill used making a “Proving Tree” that is cool...Then you sit on what looks like a hacked apart 5 gallon paint bucket and a Montessori School table to shoot..WTF? Over...😜😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice work!

Retired cat herder.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
JFC...All that skill used making a “Proving Tree” that is cool...Then you sit on what looks like a hacked apart 5 gallon paint bucket and a Montessori School table to shoot..WTF? Over...😜😎

You're just jealous that he's got wheels on his paint bucket.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BSA,

That thing looks rugged. You think like me. I like people whose idea of portable involves a wheel loader.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kingston

You're just jealous that he's got wheels on his paint bucket.

The picture may not be good, but that is actually a rolling shop stool I've had and used on this portable shooting bench for a long time:

Its getting old and the duct tape is needing replaced again. The old table may look heavy, but is quite "portable". I've used it rain or shine:
The table is actually marked us govt on the underside and was made in '62... It is so much more stable than the garbage you see at cabelas. Those steady benches, aren't really that "steady". Ha ha.. As for the tree, one last modification I did to it was add angle in front of a vulnerable/soft spot where it pivots:

I designed it to be taken apart for transport, if you are going to set it up by yourself. However, this one will stay in one spot for the rest of its life:
I'm thinking right where I had my wooden target stand..... It will fit in just fine... wink
We are going to run it out there today and ding the hell out of it. cool

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's awesome. Thanks for the detail photos!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good job on that!

I made my poppers years ago... They are still hanging in there.

The large one is 1 1/4" steel for high powered rifles.

The other is 1/2" steel for handgun or rimfire.

Not as snazzy as your tree! smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's really nice. Do you have a place you can leave it w/o fear of it being stolen or do you move it?

LOL
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

And Left Handed too!! Who does that? wink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
That's really nice. Do you have a place you can leave it w/o fear of it being stolen or do you move it?

Yep its on private property with a big steel gate we lock.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice, sir. Well done.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys. It was a busy day today. I had other projects to finish up, so I was late putting up the tree. Got her set up at around 6:00. Not enough daylight to shoot it:

I was busy modifying my old spotter (that I bought a couple weekends ago). It needed a longer rod for more adjustability and versatility. Here's now it was when I bought it. Took up too much room on the bench:

I had to weld 2 pieces of 5/8" rod together for a total of 6 feet of rod, so I can use it for offhand shoots. I also had to add a counterweight to the bottom of the rod and add the tension knob (aluminum gear looking thing). Here's what that looks like now:

Wait, there's an ar in the pic? Yes, I shot the black rifle challenge and moa all day long challenge again with my dads AR that I just rebarreled a few weeks ago. That barrel is doing well... I'll post results of those 20 shots here in a bit....It may be sub moa. Haven't even measured it yet!!!! Not enough time in the day guys...

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I love it! I made some rimfire targets and pistol targets at work. I have access to a fiber optic laser that can cut 1” steel.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I finally got a chance to shoot this thing today. And it was a heck of a lot of fun. My boss was scrambling today to get all his ducks in a row, since he's leaving for montana in the morning. He'll shoot a big mulie for sure. Anyway, when we (my shop foreman and I) got up there the sun was horrible:

With the sun in our eyes, I shoot to see where I am at on the plate. My Nightforce was still zeroed for the 100 yard line, so I dialed up to where I thought it should have been (off the top of my memory and all). The first shot was low on the 12" diameter plate (low/left target):

So, I dial up 1 moa to get to center of the plate. You can see where the next shot went on the same plate. Just about dead nuts. Good to go for the 2" plate with only 1 adjustment on the scope.....cool

I ended up tagging the 2" plate 3 out of 6 times, but the sun was hard on the eyes and made seeing the target difficult. The target had also shed almost all of its paint, so it was just a pain to see in those conditions... Since I could barely see the small target, I shot for the larger targets. The moa target is the upper left (4" diameter plate). That one was just too easy to hit. I then shot at the other plates as quick as I could get sights on them. Pretty easy to hit them as well. We waited for a while, since my boss had not shown up yet and the sun was right in our eyes. I had enough time to drive to the tree and repaint it:

I get back and my boss had shown up. I say, "the targets have a fresh coat of paint on them and are calling your name"... He pulls his Remington 700 300wm out of his truck and sets up on the bench. I am spotting for him. He says, "I'm going to hit the 4" plate", and I say, "Ok, lets see it".. He shoots and misses...... He's shooting high and to the left.. Hmmm you say, he's using the finest of equipment. Rem 700 coupled with a Leupold VX6 HD and heavy Berger VLD's.... Good enough for knocking montana mulies down.... He takes another shot and no hit. He makes an adjustment to his turrets and then I say, aim at a bigger target, so he says ok, "I'll hit the lower right target". I say, "ok, hit that 6 inch target... He fires and hits, still high and to the left, but much better. He says, "Ok now I'm going to hit that 4" target". I said, Ok lets see it. He shoots 4 or 5 more times and is all over the place. Didn't hit the 4" plate, it's safe. He said, ok that's all I can shoot, I need to save some ammo for Montana. I said, ok shoot my creed then. He fires at the 4" plate and hits it. I said, "see, I'm going to talk you into buying a creedmoor pretty soon".. He just laughs and says you probably will... The next shot, he shoots the target right off the tree!!! Some dummy didn't weld it on good. :rolleyes:. Ok, so He says, " I know I can't hit the 2" target and it has fresh paint on it, you hit it"... I said hell yes, I might be able to hit that bad boy!! Well, after 3 shots and 3 hits, I couldn't see the damn thing anymore. I thought I just blew it off like my boss did to the 4" plate. Keep in mind we are shooting at 400 yards and this is a sub 1/2 moa target I'm shooting at... I run down range to look at the target and here's what I see:

Funny little target, just stayed in the up position. :p but indeed the 4" target was gone. Here's what that looked like and the lack of weld I had on it. That's what you get when you get in a hurry. Dang it:

The evening I made this tree, I tacked stuff in place and I must have just overlooked welding one side!! DUH!!! Well, I double checked all the rest of them and this was the only one that was not welded all the way around to the collar that pivots on the bolt... i KNEW that was going to be a weak spot. Ha ha..

I run to the shop and fix it right up. A little pre heat on the re bar:

Weld it on all the way this time:

Back to the range in the dark:

Fixed as good as new now:

Well, it needed a paint job:

Now it's good as new and a whole lot of fun!!! Now you guys know how I spend some of my afternoons and evenings.. I'm not all about shooting paper.. wink

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Like. Pleasantly surprised that a "shooting tree" is this. wink

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Like. Pleasantly surprised that a "shooting tree" is this. wink

Hell yes. You're looking at a strong Branch right there of the tree. And after yesterday's shoot it's a confirming tree now but still a proving tree to others.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks good BSA! I need one of them!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Looks good BSA! I need one of them!

Oh, its a fun sob Scotty.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
178 members (32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 25 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.