Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone use this app?

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s a joke. First time I wouldn’t create an account, then said it couldn’t send notifications 😂 it crashed, kicked me out.
2nd time no account created, allow notifications it let me in. Free load data, select cartridge, message”you must log in to your account to see the data”. Then create account, allow notifications, pay $1 per cartridge or $20/year subscription. Delete will be next. Don’t need another account to be marketed junk to. LMAO leave it to Hornady to screw the pooch.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Swifty52
It’s a joke. First time I wouldn’t create an account, then said it couldn’t send notifications 😂 it crashed, kicked me out.
2nd time no account created, allow notifications it let me in. Free load data, select cartridge, message”you must log in to your account to see the data”. Then create account, allow notifications, pay $1 per cartridge or $20/year subscription. Delete will be next. Don’t need another account to be marketed junk to. LMAO leave it to Hornady to screw the pooch.
any better ones out there used drop sheets for years but now have to pull out reading glasses have iPhone

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, spend a few bucks more and buy the book.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
If you’re talking the 4dof app, it’s an extremely good ballistic app. I’m fact it’s the best I’ve used. It uses actual Doppler drop curves, essentially tracking the bullet from the muzzle to the ground. Most ballistic curves are based on BC’s derived from muzzled velocity and time of flight. By having the actual bullet tracking data, it’s much more accurate than any other predictive app I’ve used, including applied ballistics. It does take some work to adjust your axial form factor which is essentially truing the data to your rifle which can easily shoot a projectile slightly different than the test bullets used in the Doppler curves.

Overall an amazing little app, and very accurate.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use Hornady’s 4DOF app. I don’t know what Swifty52 is talking about regarding payment, etc.

It’s an excellent app if your bullet is in the library. Getting the axial form factor set is key. You’ve got to run your loads out a ways. I tune AFF out to 1100yrds. I notice AFF change significantly after a new barrel speeds up.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
I use Hornady’s 4DOF app. I don’t know what Swifty52 is talking about regarding payment, etc.

It’s an excellent app if your bullet is in the library. Getting the axial form factor set is key. You’ve got to run your loads out a ways. I tune AFF out to 1100yrds. I notice AFF change significantly after a new barrel speeds up.

Swifty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston

^^^^^This^^^^^ is the reloading guide, not the ballistics app.

The OP is asking about the ballistics app.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is the ballistics app...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

FREE

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a huge fan. I was also fortunate to spend a week in Africa with the individual who ran the creation of the 4DOF, over beers at night he showed me all sorts of functions (bullet stability with different twist rates, etc.) and explained why they were important. I will say that it takes a bit of practice to learn to navigate it, but once you get the hang of it, it's fantastic.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Woodhits
I am a huge fan. I was also fortunate to spend a week in Africa with the individual who ran the creation of the 4DOF, over beers at night he showed me all sorts of functions (bullet stability with different twist rates, etc.) and explained why they were important. I will say that it takes a bit of practice to learn to navigate it, but once you get the hang of it, it's fantastic.

If you talk to him, please ask him to add Gain twists for me. I use the final rate, but my AFF’s seem to vary widely through break in. I went from a 1.9 on a new barrel to a .9 after 200 rounds.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks John, Kingston, woodhit for your input. All I needed to get the app, just afew guys that have actually used the app. The presentation on Youtube was very well done also I might add.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still have one on the PC called Point Blank that was a free download many years back. Just compared results with the Zeiss on-line software and they agree to one place behind the decimal out to 800 yds. If ballistic coefficients are correct, it seems the math was worked out years ag.o

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just attended a long range clinic where we used the 4DOF app. I'm shooting ELDX bullets so of course they are included in the data. Don't know what you need for other bullets but for a troglodyte like me, it was easy and very accurate. Went from never having shot any long range but High Power to ringing steel at 1000 yards with confidence on the first shot.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
I just attended a long range clinic where we used the 4DOF app. I'm shooting ELDX bullets so of course they are included in the data. Don't know what you need for other bullets but for a troglodyte like me, it was easy and very accurate. Went from never having shot any long range but High Power to ringing steel at 1000 yards with confidence on the first shot.

Right on . I also noted that they update their software to include newly marketed bullets. I have about 1000 rds 300 grain SMK 338 caliber so I need to shoot alot before I buy new better (Berger) fodder. LOL Thanks also to other posters. I'm looking foreward to trying out this new app.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use it all the time. It's quick, accurate, and easy to set up the calculations you need. There has never been a charge. I don't use the 4DOF app.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

482 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 34 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,837
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.