Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Go try to find a set of brake rotors that's not made in China;
easy,,,

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I don't want to spend $1200 on a razor spotter then 4 years later its blown out for $600 as they phase in a new model.

I don't get the logic behind this, especially considering all optics will lose value in that time frame. 4 years is a long time in the optics world, with new products being rolled out all the time by all of the major manufacturers. Sometimes, the optics/mechanics don't really change much (if at all), its the addition of new reticles, turret options, illumination, etc. Regardless, they all drop their prices with the addition of new models.

Besides, if the product gives you the performance you require at a price point you're willing to pay, what difference does it make if it drops value in 4 years? I guess it makes sense if you plan on changing optics every few years, but even then, its really all moot. I mean, how much do you consider is an acceptable depreciation? With each new model, quality typically goes up...would you rather the product remain stagnant and not improve just for the sake of long term value? I'm not sure I have ever bought a product where I got years of excellent service out of it, and then got upset because it dropped its value in 4 years. That just comes across as silly to me.

That being said, I rarely (if ever) buy anything new...I always buy used items, where the original purchaser takes the hit on most of the depreciation.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jason280
I don't want to spend $1200 on a razor spotter then 4 years later its blown out for $600 as they phase in a new model.

I don't get the logic behind this, especially considering all optics will lose value in that time frame. 4 years is a long time in the optics world, with new products being rolled out all the time by all of the major manufacturers. Sometimes, the optics/mechanics don't really change much (if at all), its the addition of new reticles, turret options, illumination, etc. Regardless, they all drop their prices with the addition of new models.

Besides, if the product gives you the performance you require at a price point you're willing to pay, what difference does it make if it drops value in 4 years? I guess it makes sense if you plan on changing optics every few years, but even then, its really all moot. I mean, how much do you consider is an acceptable depreciation? With each new model, quality typically goes up...would you rather the product remain stagnant and not improve just for the sake of long term value? I'm not sure I have ever bought a product where I got years of excellent service out of it, and then got upset because it dropped its value in 4 years. That just comes across as silly to me.

That being said, I rarely (if ever) buy anything new...I always buy used items, where the original purchaser takes the hit on most of the depreciation.

you should get the logic of it. For one thing I never pay retail for my optics. I buy them right in the first place. I have a pair of Swaro EL range binoculars. The warranty is long gone on them for the electronics. They are the most expensive optics I have ever paid for. I have used them for close to 10 years and after all that time I would lose about $500 if I traded them off. swarovski maintains its value because the optics are actually very well made and backed by a good company. The great thing is, when I want to upgrade I have all but $500 to spend on buying something new. which in my case is around $2000, 2 grand is nice to have as a down payment on some new and improved RF binoculars.

vortex does not protect their brand value, The reason is their optics aren't that well made for the most part. I am friends with a guy who took a company public that sold consumer products. He once told me you need at least 6:1 product cost to retail. meaning if a product retails for $600 it can't cost you anymore than $100 to make. He also said ideally its 10:1 or greater. So a $1000 product only costs $100 to manufacturer. I think vortex is on the high end of this ratio and it shows in their precieved long term value.

I Also use nighforce scopes. Spending $1700 on one rifle scope is insane for me and probably would get my wife pissed if she ever knew. The good thing is after several years those scopes are worth within 20% of what I paid for them still. what does that mean? it means I have money to recoup when I want to upgrade. brand value to the consumer means the company gets to sell even more high end optics

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 10/31/19.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've ended up with 4 Vortex products at various times:

- Razor HD 5-20x50 - At the time it represented a remarkable price/performance option. It still tracks. The HD glass is still fine. The illumination still lights up. Other scopes have better features now. No objections.

- Talon HD 10x42 binoculars. Kind of bulky and heavy, but very good in the center of the image field. Weaker on the edges. Very low eye fatigue for me. No real objections.

- A Razor HD 27-60x85 spotting scope. I've used this one extensively and compared it to all the usual suspects. It's very strong overall, and moreso when price is taken into consideration. I've yet to see a "better" scope spot a hole it couldn't. Hunting-wise deer and elk are huge by comparison and frankly pretty hard to miss. No fatigue problems.

- A viper HST 4-16. It came on a rifle I bought. I didn't like it optically, but it tracked. I sold it.

Based on my experiences so far, I'd be happy to go with them again.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
vortex does not protect their brand value, The reason is their optics aren't that well made for the most part.

You bring up Swarovski and Nightforce, but for the most part its an apples to oranges comparison. Vortex offers scopes for just about every budget, from sub $100 optics to over $2k. Cheapest Swarovski scope retails somewhere around $700, and I'm not sure Nightforce has a scope under $900. Nighforce & Swarovski appeal to a somewhat select portion of the market, whereas Vortex offers products that run the gamut of potential buyers.

You also mentioned "they aren't that well made for the most part", what do you mean specifically? Are you saying their lower level scopes aren't made that well, or is there some sort of inherent manufacturing flaw across the entire line of optics? As far as the product cost to retail ratio, wouldn't that also apply to other manufacturers as well? Are you suggesting Swarovski and Nighforce follow a different model, or purposely run on lower profit margins? Its almost like you posted that as a sleight to Vortex, except it seems to me like a strong business model.

Regarding your $1700 Nightforce, you're not getting roughly $1400 out of a used one after four years...it ain't happening. Even if it were brand new, still in the box, you'd still be hard pressed to get that amount. I've bought and sold quite a few higher end/tactical scopes, and 20% depreciation is extremely optimistic after 4 years. In fact, I just searched Nightforce scopes on the classifieds here, and didn't find a single one within the first page or so (save one) that was even listed within 20% of new prices. Most were around 25-30%, which is oddly enough, pretty much the same percentage I sold a couple of Viper PST's and an HST for recently. I will say this though, the used market for optics can be extremely fickle and season dependent.

I agree with some of the other posters, there seems to be more than a little bit of snobbery aimed at Vortex. I've owned cheap Chinese scopes, all the way to two US Optics SN3's that were $2400+ each new (and still own one of them). I've also owned Meopta, Nightforce, Zeiss, and a few others, and for me it doesn't matter what the name is as long as it offers the performance I feel I've paid for. Period.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jason280
vortex does not protect their brand value, The reason is their optics aren't that well made for the most part.

You bring up Swarovski and Nightforce, but for the most part its an apples to oranges comparison. Vortex offers scopes for just about every budget, from sub $100 optics to over $2k. Cheapest Swarovski scope retails somewhere around $700, and I'm not sure Nightforce has a scope under $900. Nighforce & Swarovski appeal to a somewhat select portion of the market, whereas Vortex offers products that run the gamut of potential buyers.

You also mentioned "they aren't that well made for the most part", what do you mean specifically? Are you saying their lower level scopes aren't made that well, or is there some sort of inherent manufacturing flaw across the entire line of optics? As far as the product cost to retail ratio, wouldn't that also apply to other manufacturers as well? Are you suggesting Swarovski and Nighforce follow a different model, or purposely run on lower profit margins? Its almost like you posted that as a sleight to Vortex, except it seems to me like a strong business model.

Regarding your $1700 Nightforce, you're not getting roughly $1400 out of a used one after four years...it ain't happening. Even if it were brand new, still in the box, you'd still be hard pressed to get that amount. I've bought and sold quite a few higher end/tactical scopes, and 20% depreciation is extremely optimistic after 4 years. In fact, I just searched Nightforce scopes on the classifieds here, and didn't find a single one within the first page or so (save one) that was even listed within 20% of new prices. Most were around 25-30%, which is oddly enough, pretty much the same percentage I sold a couple of Viper PST's and an HST for recently. I will say this though, the used market for optics can be extremely fickle and season dependent.

I agree with some of the other posters, there seems to be more than a little bit of snobbery aimed at Vortex. I've owned cheap Chinese scopes, all the way to two US Optics SN3's that were $2400+ each new (and still own one of them). I've also owned Meopta, Nightforce, Zeiss, and a few others, and for me it doesn't matter what the name is as long as it offers the performance I feel I've paid for. Period.

what if I didn't pay $1700 for it? People pay for value and the market isn't stupid. The world knows the toyota tacoma is a very well built vehicle. Vortex just doesn't keep the value. especially their high end stuff. Talk to me about what happened to the gen 1 razor spotting scopes once they released the new ones. your going to be luck to be at 50% of retail on those. as to nighforce I will not buy one unless I am getting no less than 10% off of MAP price, usually its close to 15%, same thing with the rest of optics. Call around is what I say, don't ask me where I am not saying. I have had an NXS 3.5-15 for at least 6 years. If I sold it today I am probably 15% off what I paid for it new. what would I be with a gen 1 razor? uhhh you don't wanna know.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I mentioned earlier that I have one Vortex scope. I've never owned a Nightforce, Ziess, or Swarovski, and from what I've read, I dont think my Vortex is in their league. But, I have had the opportunity to shoot out to 1000 yds. and the optics are good enough to shoot at that distance. I dont hit the target every time, but most of the time. Tracking is the only issue. Dial it up and when you come back down, it's got to be fine tuned, again. It's usually off by 2-4 clicks at 200 yds.

For a set and forget scope, it does a fine job, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Also, as mentioned earlier, they have a very good warranty. What's not to like.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q

Find me a brand of optic that doesn’t sell in a blister pack that has a worse resale to new cost ratio. Vortex is bottom of the barrel in quality, resale, and value imho. Not that anyone cares but I have no skin in the game and I’m NOT made of money.

I’m not knocking anyone’s gear...I’ve got lots of low cost/quality gear that I use happily. It works for me and my use...vortex is like that for lots of folks. But make no mistake...it’s low quality/value gear

Last edited by Quak; 10/31/19.

GOD Bless America
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I cannot speak to what they do for other retailers but at Cabela’s, before the Bass Pro purchase, Cabela’s employees could purchase eight Vortex products a year at 60% off of MSRP. Employees received the same deal from Leupold.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldman3
I mentioned earlier that I have one Vortex scope. I've never owned a Nightforce, Ziess, or Swarovski, and from what I've read, I dont think my Vortex is in their league. But, I have had the opportunity to shoot out to 1000 yds. and the optics are good enough to shoot at that distance. I dont hit the target every time, but most of the time. Tracking is the only issue. Dial it up and when you come back down, it's got to be fine tuned, again. It's usually off by 2-4 clicks at 200 yds.

For a set and forget scope, it does a fine job, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Almost all of us work within some kind of budget for our toys; some higher, some lower. For those of us who can't manage the high-end stuff all the time, it's wise to go with something with a good warranty, then hope for the best. Another strategy would be to stop buying new rifles every week and use the cash saved for reliable optics to go on what we have. SWFA has finally started making a lightweight, reliable hunting-style scope at a very reasonable price. Hopefully enough will sell that they may expand that concept into some other magnification ranges.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by cdb
I cannot speak to what they do for other retailers but at Cabela’s, before the Bass Pro purchase, Cabela’s employees could purchase eight Vortex products a year at 60% off of MSRP. Employees received the same deal from Leupold.

Yes...the also offer more spiffs than anyone...rewarding sales with free product. I have a friend who works for a retailer and the amount of free vortex crap he gets is unreal...and it goes right to eBay.

GOD Bless America
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Oldman3

Almost all of us work within some kind of budget for our toys; some higher, some lower. For those of us who can't manage the high-end stuff all the time, it's wise to go with something with a good warranty, then hope for the best. Another strategy would be to stop buying new rifles every week and use the cash saved for reliable optics to go on what we have. SWFA has finally started making a lightweight, reliable hunting-style scope at a very reasonable price. Hopefully enough will sell that they may expand that concept into some other magnification ranges.

I agree 💯. Quality over quantity. I have a young family, 2 car payments, a mortgage etc. I save and buy right...and have alpha optics. Not many mind you...but everything I’ve got is real good...well except my spotter...but I’m working on that.

I see folks buying and selling so often on here that it blows my mind. I’d rather shoot and perhaps more importantly hunt than waste my time, energy and money playing the constant gun lottery.

GOD Bless America
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Talkiing about Vortex' discounts to retailers, their G&O program is a joke as well. If you are able to enroll in thier G&O program (guide/outfitters) they will reward you with 40% off of MSRP pricing discounts. Problem is, they must think guides/outfitters are too stupid to understand basic math. For instance MSRP in Vortex' eyes is a way over inflated price from everyday retail prices. For example, the new Vortex Fury 5000HD can be found everywhere on the planet of $1199. If you look at the Vortex website and look at their MSRP, you will see $1599, which is what they base their generous 40% discount off of. In reality the 40% discount obviously isn't anywhere near that, it is more like 12% off of eveyone in the planet's MSRP. What's bad is Leupold started doing the very same thing. Meopta does not play those BS games, FWIW.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Vortex and Leupold have much in common. One imports low equality optics...one manufactures them. They both have lots of nifty hats, flashlights and pocket knives to give away...

I find it mildly humorous that the best American manufactured scopes come from Meopta and Steiner. One company being Czech and the other being German.

Last edited by Quak; 11/01/19.

GOD Bless America
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Meopta does have a facility in the US, but they do not currently manufacture any riflescopes there.

They used to assemble MeoPro in the US, but when they moved the facility to Florida (from New York) all riflescope manufacturing went back to Czech. They do some military stuff in Florida and I am sure they will eventually make some consumer products their as well, but not at the moment.

Steiner and Burris are both owned by Beretta. Steiner has its own manufacturing facility in Germany, for the highest stuff they make, but their mid-range products are indeed assembled in the US by Burris. They also have another US facility that does electro-optics.

It is kinda interesting that most of the stuff sold under Burris name is not made by Burris in the US, but a lot of stuff sold under Steiner name is made by Burris in the US. The only Burris product made in the US is the new XTR3, but I am sure that will expand once they are caught up with the demand.

On Leupold and Vortex: both make a wide range of products of varying quality levels. These are two largest companies in terms of sales volume in the sport optics world to the best of my knowledge, with Vortex being the largest by a significant margin. I do not know for sure who else is in the top five, but I imagine that would be Bushnell, Sig and Burris. Sig is definitely growing really fast.

When you make a broad range of stuff, some of it will be good and some will be not so good. Everything is built to a price point. While Leupold has had some really well deserved criticism, I rather like a lot of their newer scopes: VX-5 and up. I am not big on just about anything below that, with the exception of the VX-R that brings some very useful illumination technology down to a reasonable price range, but I do not recommend twisting turrets with these.

ILya

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Wow...no idea they moved. Good for them though...NY has a bad place to do business

GOD Bless America
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10ring1, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,247
Posts18,466,921
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.