Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
Im into birding at an amateur level and have enjoyed it for sometime. I have a non-tech savy friend who would like to get into it and has asked for a book and or field guide recommendation. In use a couple apps on my phone and while I hate to say it...I’m not sure what to recommend.

Any ideas would be great...he’s in Michigan’s upper peninsula if it matters.

GOD Bless America
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use the Merlin app from Cornell University on my phone and iPad. The pictures are better than in the field guides I have. I still keep the life list up in my old Peterson's Guide.

Not a Birder in the usual sense, just someone who enjoys watching them. My yard has multiple food sources, natural and cultivated, plus I run one or more feeders all year. The WMA I hunt is a good place to see stuff as well while waiting for volunteers for my personal food bank. Also, the nearby Virginia State Arboretum draws a nice variety, and seems pretty popular with bird photographers with their big honkin' lenses.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm just a casual birder, but I like the Sibley Guide a bit better than the Petersen. The Kaufman guide is reputed to be the most user-friendly for someone new to the pastime (it uses photo's rather than drawings). I'd use an app as a backup to a good guide, but not rely solely on an app.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have to check those out. Multiple sources are always good.

Just thumbed through my copy of the Audubon guide and the pics are better than I remembered. Still, the Merlin app is handy, always on me, and has a what-is-it feature a newbie might like.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
We have a number of birding books in the house, but tend to regard Sibley's as the ultimate source, partly because of more views of color variations, but other details as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for Sibley's and we have several others that are not as good. It was recommended by the members of our birding club in Florida and it is the one that we usually take along.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thumbs up for Sibley's.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There is also an app that can identify birds by their calls. It can be fun and is good when you can hear a bird and not see it.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sibley's for in the house.

The old Golden "Birds of North America" for in the field.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I like Sibley, it seems decisive and broad, but a bit hard to navigate and grasp, given changes in classification, names, and organization over the last 50 years I have been a birdwatcher.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Sibley's for in the house.

The old Golden "Birds of North America" for in the field.

Agreed. The Golden illustrations are designed to focus on the features of each bird

Last edited by mogwai; 10/31/19.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Which is what I still do much of the time. Still have the Golden guide that was the required textbook for my freshman course in field ornithology at the University of Montana in 1978. Of course, it is horribly out of date in some ways, since it still lists "rufous-sided towhee" and "oldsquaw," instead of their modern names. But is is much more compact than Sibley's, and if I have look something up, still know about which page contains that info!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Quak

It does matter - there's no sense wading through dozens of pages of birds that don't live there to find one that does. My go-to is Stan Tekiela's Birds of Minnesota. It's simple and quick. I have other resources, but they are rarely necessary. He does many (most?) other states as well.

Birds of Michigan

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Lead #6's early season, copper plated #5's late.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by Quak

It does matter - there's no sense wading through dozens of pages of birds that don't live there to find one that does. My go-to is Stan Tekiela's Birds of Minnesota. It's simple and quick. I have other resources, but they are rarely necessary. He does many (most?) other states as well.

Birds of Michigan

This

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I also have a Montana bird guide--along with books for various places around the world from southern Africa to the British isles--but don't see any reason to recommend a strictly local bird book to somebody who might get into birding enough to travel beyond state lines.

I also like birding books that reveal a little more than than simple identification--but whatever.

John Steinbeck
Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
Gents...thanks so much for the information. Not only did I buy my friend a guide...I picked up a couple for my wife and I. Seems I’ve been missing a lot in my casual birding!

Thanks again truly for the sound advice

GOD Bless America
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Which is what I still do much of the time. Still have the Golden guide that was the required textbook for my freshman course in field ornithology at the University of Montana in 1978. Of course, it is horribly out of date in some ways, since it still lists "rufous-sided towhee" and "oldsquaw," instead of their modern names. But is is much more compact than Sibley's, and if I have look something up, still know about which page contains that info!

I also learned on the Golden guide, and I find it faster and easier to use than Sibley. And I still like the older names, btw.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Lead #6's early season, copper plated #5's late.

lead# 71/2, then #6’s

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Drop 7 1/2s and use 7 for hunting, if you can find it. I don't really care about trap shooting needs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,208
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.