Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
We get older and eyesight goes to heck.
Hand to hand combat, good luck with that.
I don't need fancy sights, I can't focus on them anymore anyhow..
What should an old guy do? I like a J frame like a 642. Hopefully I can do some damage after 5 rounds.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Even though I carry something different, I believe that the S&W 642 is about as good as it gets. No need to worry about "springs" or "pocket lint" messing things up and if the first round don't fire, keep on pulling the trigger....

You just need to practice ...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Older friend of mine has a laser on his EDC, seems to work for him.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by whelennut
We get older and eyesight goes to heck.
Hand to hand combat, good luck with that.
I don't need fancy sights, I can't focus on them anymore anyhow..
What should an old guy do? I like a J frame like a 642. Hopefully I can do some damage after 5 rounds.

Nothing wrong with a J-Frame .38. The internal hammer models are great for tossing in a pocket loose, and there's nothing to catch on your clothes as you draw one. I've carried all sorts of J-Frame, snubbie, .38 Specials over the decades since first getting my CCW License back in 1980. They will handle 95% of situations where a concealed, defensive, handgun is needed.

Nowadays, I feel more comfortable having more rounds on board, so my current EDC is a Glock 26.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mine edc is a S&W 649-2 snub nose.

Stainless version of the "Bodyguard". Heated-treated for +p 38 special loads. Shrouded hammer. SA/DA. I painted the front sight with hot pink nail polish for my 59 year old eyes. Works for me.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S&W 360j. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having a dense moment. What is EDC?

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by lastround

"Every Day Carry"

I like the Sig P365 with 15 rd magazine.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sig P365 for me. With the 12 round mag and one in the pipe gives me 13 on board with the 15 round mag for a spare.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V

Originally Posted by lastround

Erectile dysfunctional condition 😂

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tonight is Halloween. The wife was handing out candy at the front door, I sat in my recliner with my 642 close at hand. If any goblins decided to breach the entrance the first couple would have been leaking. I have other options that hold more rounds on board and are more powerful but the J frame goes in a pocket so easy that it's hard to do better.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn’t give up on sights altogether, I’d just change the kind of sights you use. I’d try a laser or mount a dot on the slide.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Blue, where have you been?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We were on the big vacation all of September and have been working since then. We had our big Multigun match last weekend and that’s a week long ordeal to set up and tear down.

And just lurking.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
We were on the big vacation all of September and have been working since then. We had our big Multigun match last weekend and that’s a week long ordeal to set up and tear down.

And just lurking.

Good to see ya posting again!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I liked JWP’s answer better than yours. (grin)

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
My idea of EDC is probably a bit different than many folks who live in a high threat environment. To me everyday carry means something I can grab when I head to the hills, or out to the tractor. I am looking to kill snakes along the lake side, or gophers in the field. Possibly a coyote or a fox.

I came on here fourteen years ago asking for advice on a first handgun at age fifty. After some sage advice from Bob, P Weed, and several other experienced pistoleros, I purchased a Ruger SBH bisley hunter in 41 mag and a Nikon 2x20 to go on top.

That kept me busy for several years, then I got to actually meet and shoot with Bob. Soon after I purchased a 6" 657, and not long after that a Taurus 4" Titanium Tracker in 41, and eventually a 657 MG.

The Tracker became my most commonly carried weapon, simply because it was the only one which did not drag my britches down over my nonexistent ass in the first ten steps.

Then some more SA revolvers joined the stable, a couple Ruger single sevens and a Bisley single six. And a couple DA revolvers, a Ruger SP101 in 327, and then a Ruger LCRx in 327.

Nine revolvers on the list, but I still have never owned an autoloader.

Anyway, my experience is abbreviated compared to many, and my tastes somewhat eclectic. But damn, that LCR is easy to carry in my jeans or jacket. It hits pretty hard with a 120 gr flat nose cast fairly hard and loaded over a maximum charge of H110. And it is not tough to shoot four or five cylinders of top loads as fast as one can reload the chambers.

If groups on paper plates at 20 feet are any indication, home made shot loads are going to be darned effective on snakes.

The LCRx has become the one I drop in a pocket when I head out of doors, or into the console of the car.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Well, years ago my Mentor, Boyd Deets, proved the adage to me that having a gun on you in the first place was most important with an EDC. He had a beautifully engraved S&W J frame with stag grips which he ALWAYS wore behind his right hip. I have watched him hit an empty propane cylinder at 50 yards with that little pistol with such regularity it became boring.

Several years ago, I was fortunate to find an S&W model 38 Airweight with the shrouded hammer that still allows single action use. Amazing little gun.....especially being aluminum alloy framed and I installed Mountain Sheep grips purchased on the Fire. It's a battle scarred old veteran, much like it's owner, but it's always reliable.

My buddy Mac, has installed a laser sight on his J-frame BUG, may be where I'm headed as well.

I will say, the LCRx with the hammer exposed, has caught my eye more than once, so maybe in the future....

Last edited by frogman43; 11/01/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...since 95+% of all civilian self-defense shootings are within 7 yards, having a gun that hits where it points is much more important than the sights on the gun. Find a gun that fits your hand, is simple to operate, quick to get into action and in a caliber that you can handle and call it good.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 16 invisible), 1,634 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.