Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I bought a beautiful 1899B (Savage .303) about 10 years ago at a gunshow. Cleaned it and put it in the safe for later. Medical issues for me and my wife and a retirement/move to Florida (where there is no nearby rifle range) turned the B into a wall hanger in my library. I decided to shoot it at 30 yards at an indoor range this morning before selling it. Since I had never checked the head space I fired the first round down range blindly...no problem. I then reloaded with one round...bullseye (surprise because I am wearing new prismatic glasses and can correct my right (dominant) eye to only 20/30). Reloaded with 6 rounds, first round pretty close to the first....then the trouble began!

Jacked the next round into the chamber, aimed, pulled the trigger...it did no pull. The safety had jumped forward just a tiny amount, but just enough to lock the trigger. I pointed the gun down range, pulled the safety off, and the damn thing fired! Reproduced this twice more, found that when I pulled the trigger but it didn’t go bang, the trigger stayed back and was already off the seer....let off the partially engaged safety and “BANG”.

I will take it to a gun smith for repair, but am curious. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

John
PS: I did fire another 3 rounds of aimed fire by manually moving the trigger forward after each shot.. Accuracy was excellent and it cycled beautifully.

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Someone along the way doctored the trigger-sear contact geometry. Bubba should be banned from bench grinder ownership.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
That was my fear, but when the safety is not engaged, the trigger pull is normal, or even a tad heavy (not unusual for an 1899 as you know).

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Have you removed the butt and actually looked at what's going on?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
That's a tough one to diagnose. First thing I'd do is tighten up the safety so it doesn't slide around freely. You have to spread it to put tension on it. Butt stock has to come off. Not an elegant design.

Sear may or may not be shortened but it needs a good look too.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks to all. Dealing with own and wife’s medical issues, so somewhat distracted. Will pull the stock late this week, take a few pics and work on the safety. Not sure I’m competent to evaluate the sear unless something obvious is going on. Will get back to this thread later.

This is a wonderful forum with many good people. I’ve been around here for years, lurk but don’t participate much anymore since I can no longer hunt, can’t leave my wife alone for that long and likely too old anyway. I’ve moved some ‘99’s along, two more to go, but will keep 4 with personal value, one for each grandson. Getting old sucks, but there are worse things by far!
Endur Fortis

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I pulled the buttstock...see subsequent post for pics. Sear is OK. Lever lock safety seems a bit loose...Lightfoot may have the answer. I have never removed the lever lock on a ‘99....will query Lightfoot on how to “spread it”. Thanks all.

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Follow-up: The gunsmith found poor trigger/sear engagement and readjusted the position. Went to the range and it worked perfectly. It was an indoor range shooting at about 30 yards, freehand. First two shots were not quite touching. As I pulled the trigger for the 3rd shot, the guy in the next booth cut loose with an AR....bad flinch! Fourth shot, same thing....quit and went home. Sure wish I could hunt this gun but my hunting days are over. Will list on GB in a week or two at $900. If any interest here on forum will sell for $800 shipped. PM me for pics including the target from above if interested.
John

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 16 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.