Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Which is the "tougher" of the two, the HP or the SP?

Thinking about the HP as my dual purpose critter/deer load. Mainly get used for deer in our "antlerless" season when I dont carry my .54 front stuffer.

Has the highest B.C. of Hornadys 60 grain offerings.

223 Vanilla is the cartridge.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
After lurking and reading the comments on the 60 gr SP thread Dober texted me this morning...here are his comments" .....in the last 4 years we have taken 24 head of deer and antelope with the Hornady 60 gr HP. Ranges from 35 to 400. Each of the 24 was one shot, two didnt go down at the shot. One of those went15 yards, one 40 yds. 3 of the 24 bullets were recovered. They weighed 30 grains, give or take.Breaks both shoulders just fine. Great bullet..."

Many of you remember Dober from these forums. Hes been a friend for a long time and one of the few people who....when they talk, I listen ....He turned me on to the 63 gr. Sierra SMP and it has been exactly as he said. This is great info that we are now missing because he left....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good to know, may be a fuzz tough for critters and coyotes though. Don't need a bullet skipping around after shooting through smaller game.

Did he give cartridge information?

I wanted to message him a few years back about the 160 .277 bullet.

Did a little looking and saw he hadn't been active for quite some time. It's a shame to lose somebody that offers up good info and doesn't put out a bunch of dumb schitt.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
He did not give cartridge info but I know he shoots a .22-250 quite a bit...along with ( I believe) a .223

If he got those results with the HP out of a .22-250 ( and I think he did...) they should be rock stars in a .223 ( confirmed the .22-250 was the cartridge of choice)

As noted by my gaffe on the other thread, Ive never tried them...

Heres Dober with a recent kill...Texas Blackbuck with his .22-250 ( with custom Ingwe Zebra striped stock...) but I can't recall what bullet he used....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by ingwe; 11/01/19.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Sure miss him also... Shot quite a bit of stuff with my old .22-250, but I never felt at ease using it on deer and antelope... Never failed once in over 60 head, but still....

Molon Labe
IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Tell Dober to pull his a$$ back up to the fire. Too much experience/info to go to waste...

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Tell Dober I miss him around here also.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for Dober to return !

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ingwe
After lurking and reading the comments on the 60 gr SP thread Dober texted me this morning...here are his comments" .....in the last 4 years we have taken 24 head of deer and antelope with the Hornady 60 gr HP. Ranges from 35 to 400. Each of the 24 was one shot, two didnt go down at the shot. One of those went15 yards, one 40 yds. 3 of the 24 bullets were recovered. They weighed 30 grains, give or take.Breaks both shoulders just fine. Great bullet..."

Many of you remember Dober from these forums. Hes been a friend for a long time and one of the few people who....when they talk, I listen ....He turned me on to the 63 gr. Sierra SMP and it has been exactly as he said. This is great info that we are now missing because he left....

so,ingwe looks like i'm stalking you around the fire ha! anywho i clicked on this thread as you know i'm still in a quandry about the 204 ruger and the 45 sp. is the aforementioned 22 cal bullet a 60 grain hornady spire point also? if so if that one works so good with deer i don't see why the 20 cal 45 sp wouldn't also. i mean whats 15 grains right lol?! just really wondering if the bullet y'all are talking about is the same hornady spire point but NOT interlock?
thanks bud,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Tell Dober to pull his a$$ back up to the fire. Too much experience/info to go to waste...

+ another, one of my favorite posters

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yes, the 60 grainer is a spire point bullet, as is the 45 grain .204. Neither one of them are interlocks...but both have been used on deer successfully..though I personally would hesitate with the 45 grain .204, thats a tad below my 'comfort level '
though

though I know it has been done..

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whitearrow

so,ingwe looks like i'm stalking you around the fire ha! anywho i clicked on this thread as you know i'm still in a quandry about the 204 ruger and the 45 sp. is the aforementioned 22 cal bullet a 60 grain hornady spire point also? if so if that one works so good with deer i don't see why the 20 cal 45 sp wouldn't also. i mean whats 15 grains right lol?! just really wondering if the bullet y'all are talking about is the same hornady spire point but NOT interlock?
thanks bud,
Big Ed

Hornady does not make any Interlocks below a 100 grain .243.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
though I personally would hesitate with the 45 grain .204, thats a tad below my 'comfort level ' though

Never thought I read that. What's the world coming to?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
though I personally would hesitate with the 45 grain .204, thats a tad below my 'comfort level ' though

I'm sorry...nothing is sacred...

BUT...I do have a .17 Remington inbound! More later! laugh

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

17 rem pushing the 25 grain hornady hp would make a helluva stunt shootin' brain busta brother!
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Of all the people who have left the 'fire for one reason or another, I miss Dober's posts the most. Glad to see he's doing well.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yes, the 60 grainer is a spire point bullet, as is the 45 grain .204. Neither one of them are interlocks...but both have been used on deer successfully..though I personally would hesitate with the 45 grain .204, thats a tad below my 'comfort level '
though

Don’t be like the Louisiana hunter who killed a real nice buck with his .204. It was good enough to get published in a Sportsman’s rag. Nice write up, EXCEPT, caliber less than .224 NOT legal in LA. Dude got in a bunch of trouble, lost his trophy, spent big bucks on lawyers, etc. So, if you kill a buck in LA with a .204, just don’t admit it in an article! No sense of humor concerning such.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Originally Posted by navlav8r

+ another, one of my favorite posters

Agree.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

17 rem pushing the 25 grain hornady hp would make a helluva stunt shootin' brain busta brother!
Big Ed
Poachers around here have been killing deer with .17 HMR's for years now.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Big Ed
Poachers around here have been killing deer with .17 HMR's for years now.

You think they’re graduating from the .22 WMR?

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF
Nah these youngsters started with HMR's. Mostly head shots from what they've told me. The HMR wouldn't be "graduating" or a step up from the WMR in my opinion. I've killed quite a few with the WMR and the 5mm Remington magnum rimfire. Both are good killers with head shots of course but they're also surprisingly effective with lung shots. I'd not want to bet on the HMR doing as well.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Out of curiosity, does he have anything to say about the 65gr SGK in comparison? When guys talk about the 60gr SP and 63 SMP, seems like the 65 SGK is another obvious one to consider. I like it because it shoots well, but have not used it on deer yet.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

DF
Nah these youngsters started with HMR's. Mostly head shots from what they've told me. The HMR wouldn't be "graduating" or a step up from the WMR in my opinion. I've killed quite a few with the WMR and the 5mm Remington magnum rimfire. Both are good killers with head shots of course but they're also surprisingly effective with lung shots. I'd not want to bet on the HMR doing as well.

Considering it is known to penetrate bullet proof vests, it ought to hang a job on lungs when well placed also...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
though

Don’t be like the Louisiana hunter who killed a real nice buck with his .204. It was good enough to get published in a Sportsman’s rag. Nice write up, EXCEPT, caliber less than .224 NOT legal in LA. Dude got in a bunch of trouble, lost his trophy, spent big bucks on lawyers, etc. So, if you kill a buck in LA with a .204, just don’t admit it in an article! No sense of humor concerning such.

DF

no such worries on my side of the creek dirt. no minimum cal in MS bud. i doubt i'll ever try it but ya never know when a man gets bored with everyday killas and thinks about stunt shootin' ha!
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the hollow point in my 22-250. I read about it being very popular in Texas and I can see why. It shoots great and drops deer like Thor's hammer. The last one I shot was at about 50 yards in the base of her neck. It knocked her completely off her feet landing on her back.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Seafire

DF

Considering it is known to penetrate bullet proof vests, it ought to hang a job on lungs when well placed also...
Penetrating a bullet proof vest ain't got shyt to do with meat and bone. I stopped shooting woodchucks with my HMR when I belted a big one right in the teeth as it faced me from 165 yards and it didn't kill it. When we walked down to it, it was still alive and coughng and gagging. Put another round into it's chest and then did an autopsy. The tiny bullet had broken out the front teeth, raked a furrow down the roof of it's mouth and was just laying in the back of it's throat. It was actually choking/gagging on the expanded bullet. I know from MUCH experience a 40 gr. WMR JHP would have gone out the back of it's head and killed it instantly at that distance with that same shot placement. I have put several Win. 40 gr. jhp's completely through the chest cavity/both lungs of several grown whitetails. None went more than 80 yards after the shot and most were down inside 50. I have been less than impressed with the HMR's performance on bigger varmints like coon, coyotes and woodchucks. I would have my resevations/doubts about using it on deer.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was referring to the 2 Win Mag Blackheart, not the HMR...

I haven't really ever tried it, due to believing that it is too light, except maybe head shots with the 20 SP bullet...aim at the ear of a stationary animal, it should drop it pretty quickly... but just speculation on my end.... It sure turns a sage rat inside out, or explodes them like him with a 20 caliber rocket launcher...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
I was referring to the 2 Win Mag Blackheart, not the HMR...

I haven't really ever tried it, due to believing that it is too light, except maybe head shots with the 20 SP bullet...aim at the ear of a stationary animal, it should drop it pretty quickly... but just speculation on my end.... It sure turns a sage rat inside out, or explodes them like him with a 20 caliber rocket launcher...
Yeah, the poachers I've talked to are using the 20 gr sp out if their HMR's with head shots. They say it works good. Sorry about the mix up. Thought you were referring to the HMR for lung shots before.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just got a text with pics from Dober, he has scored big game kills # 25 and #26 with his .22-250 and the 60 Gr. Hornady HP...a whitetail doe and a pretty nice Mule Deer buck which he said was 'electrocuted' by the little bullet!

All one shot kills....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
492 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 46 invisible), 2,194 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.