Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Northern Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio are a bit dull. Parts of the southwest are the same, to me. The deep south has a lot of great folks, but that neck of the woods ain't my cup of tea.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I think Pennsylvania, across I-80, is awfully nice.

Iowa, on the same highway, is corn, corn, corn, soybeans, corn, Des Moines, corn, cows, corn, corn, corn, ad infinitum.

Missouri, on I-70, is no great shakes, on I-44 it isn't too bad.

I thought I-70 across West Virginia was pretty nice, running along the mountaintops and all that.

I-70 across Kansas is not recommended, dullsville.

Not a fan of I-71 across Ohio, either.
I pretty much grew up on I-80 through Pennsylvania. Our deer camp is in Clearfield County which was old Exit 17 until thew switched the exit markers to mileage. Now it's Exit 102. Once you get away from the Ohio border and up in the mountains, the scenery is stunning. There's a couple river crossings on the 80 that offer some great views. I remember going to camp before 80 went through. It was a fun ride through all the little mountain towns. Everything was either on the top of a mountain, or in the bottom of a valley.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some folks find driving through farm country boring. Not me. Our son lives in Indiana and we run down there from Minnesota periodically. It's really impressive to see the size of these farms. I grew up in northeast Ohio where 100 acres was a pretty good sized farm. Heck, these farms in Iowa, and Indiana have more acreage in their front yards. Big farms mean big equipment. You don't see many N's working the fields these days.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't seen much of the States, but always thought the New England states were nice, incl Vermont and NH.

Way too many Subarus though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I suspect there are good and bad things about any state if you look hard enough.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Nevada is an outlier for scenic because access to certain places can be a challenge. Hwy 95 from LV to Reno is mostly boring but Hwy 93 from LV to Jackpot is wonderful. You have to be willing to work for it but Nevada is the most mountainous state in the lower 48 w/ 314 named ranges and 172 peaks w/ >2000' of prominence. There are 39 peaks >10k'.

I enjoy the fact that few people travel the back roads and trails and most areas require that you be self reliant and a good navigator. Wildlife is not abundant but is always there if you learn where to look. Nevada has the countrys' highest population of wild sheep and is a predator hunters paradise. Towns and services are few and far between
and as Fieldgrade has mentioned carry 2 spare tires and lots of water.

mike r

And to add...there is 80 plus percent public land. Everywhere I look, I consider mine. Until OnX tells me otherwise as happened chukar hunting yesterday...

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
nobody puts on airs of superiority.
But if you get into a city, Philadelphia, New York, Seattle, Las Angeles Houston or Atlanta. It just seems like the majority of people go outta their war to impress everyone else with their money and education.

I think your post is really dead on.

And then it also occurred to me that the above describes a fairly sizable % of Texans I've met.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Maine VT and NH have some awfully nice scenery. Upstate NY too.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a difference between looking at scenery versus using the scenery. Northern Michigan is beautiful and user friendly. I love the West like Montana but not as user friendly unless you have some heavy logistical help. My least favorite place was New Jersey. Place is nothing but endless pay tolls and over crowded areas with seas of strip malls. But even there in New Jersey, I am sure there is a place that I haven’t seen which is beautiful. America is great. smile

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some folks from Texas go outta their way to let everyone know where they’re from.
It comes off to some people as a little snobbish, I guess. I always like to see people proud of wherever they’re from, be it Texas or Maine or California. Each state seems to have its own unique history and heritage. Texans got a lot of history and heritage to be proud of.
Just as I take great pride in being an American, I also take pride in that I’m from Pennsylvania.
When people are aware of their heritage they usually value that heritage. The leftist want to destroy our unique American heritage and make us ashamed of our history.
I ain’t, and never will be ashamed of where I’m from.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
826 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 86 invisible), 3,245 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,186
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.