Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Hi friends.
Am going to purchase a new load development scope.
Prefer a one inch tube but would go with 30mm tube if quality/value is better.
Want either a fixed 24 or 36 power or a variable power up to 18-to-25 power on the upper end.
Want a decent scope with “good glass” and durable manufacture priced at $1,000 or less.
Don’t want to spend $2,000 on an elite scope that isn’t providing a whole lot more value but costs twice as much for no apparent reason.

Can you give me a few recommendations to look at?

Thanks in advance!

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I ran across a used Leupold fixed 12X that I use for load development; out to 300, it's PLENTY for shooting groups.

I've seen a few for sale on the classifieds here and other places over the years.

Or check Bass Pro/Cabela's Bargain Cave, MidwayUSA, etc, if you're looking for new.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I use a Weaver classic target in 24X. Adjustments work as they should, and the glass is very good.
Natchez has a sale going on FYI.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look for a Weaver, fixed T series. Have a 10x, 24x and a 36x that I keep around mainly to test loads. These track well, and so far, have had no issues with any of them, and they've been mounted on pretty much everything from 22 LR's to 300 winmags and slug guns. Used the 36x for a couple of years on a 308 F-TR rifle and had zero problems with the scope, other than the fact that at 36x, mirage can be bad.
These scopes, new, can be had for less than half of the grand you've budgeted.

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by FlArcher
I use a Weaver classic target in 24X. Adjustments work as they should, and the glass is very good.
Natchez has a sale going on FYI.

A solid recommendation by all accounts. Don't think you can get to 24X more reasonably.
$330
https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-cl...sunshade-24x40mm-ao-1-57-2-99-matte.html

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Leupold all the way man...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959
Look for a Weaver, fixed T series. Have a 10x, 24x and a 36x that I keep around mainly to test loads. These track well, and so far, have had no issues with any of them, and they've been mounted on pretty much everything from 22 LR's to 300 winmags and slug guns. Used the 36x for a couple of years on a 308 F-TR rifle and had zero problems with the scope, other than the fact that at 36x, mirage can be bad.

Those old Weavers do track well and hold zero. You can find better glass, tracking is Kosher. You need accuracy more than dazzle glass for load development. Those have it and won’t break the bank.

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959

Those old Weavers do track well and hold zero. You can find better glass, tracking is Kosher. You need accuracy more than dazzle glass for load development. Those have it and won’t break the bank.

DF

in my experience great resolution and clarity trumps more power. Great tracking requirements needs goes without saying but being able to define the the timing point is a great aid which is a result of great glass and aids in shooting the smallest groups. I would choose a 15 or 16 power with great clarity and resolution over a 24 or 25 power with average resolution and clarity.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IIRC, I've seen some quibbles about the glass as compared to the lower-powered ones, but for solid and dependable, I'd go with a SWFA 20x.

Personally, I'd get a 10x, as that would tell me all I need to know, and still be useful for some field use, but you know your own eyes.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
With a Weaver 24x riflescope, can you see the bullet holes on a 300 or 400 yard target?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an almost new SWFA 20x in the classifieds. The reason I bought one in the first place was for load development and rifle verification so that I could detect wandering zero and other problems with my Leupolds, but unfortunately it is not compatible with my vision (I think I've developed a severe astigmatism in my right eye after a recent infection, or could be cataract, don't know yet). I just flat can't see through it from one moment to the next. It's weird. My Leupolds give me NO problem whatsoever---as far as image quality goes.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've been using a 36 Weaver for quite a few years. Just trying to remember but think it's been on 6 or 7 rifles plus the doner I borrow it from. That's a bit of twisting just to get each one zeroed. So far so good.

They've been inching up in price lately, but it seems there's a used one on Accurateshooter.com on a pretty regular basis.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I haven't tried a 16X SWFA but my 12X is is dandy, for the power. Don't recall anyone saying they're happy with the 20X, but might be mistaken. $259 coming up Black Friday usually.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks for all the recommendations!

I will call around on a few candidates and hopefully take a look-see.

Cheers and have a great weekend!

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
241 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 39 invisible), 2,181 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,639
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.