Page 2 of 2 1 2
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Feller, I don't know and didn't mention that you had. If you did, was it a chebbie, Fered, or a Derdge?

You quoted me and said I need to listen to greydog cause he hadn't fallen off the turnip truck. Did you mean to reply to the OP instead?
Otherwise what makes you think greydog's comments are any more valid than mine?

I should not have quoted you, just saying that I value GD's advice.
Sorry

Thanks for the clarification Butch, got your PM too. Sorry for the misunderstanding, carry on.

Steve, you continue to show your petty nature. I guess it really hurt your feelings that one time I disagreed with you. Maybe someday you'll get over it?

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You're going to make me cry. It's really too bad that you are such a pompus ass. laugh

Learn to get along with people or hush.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I hope my story helps

In 2002 I paid for a Jet 13x40 lathe and Clausing mill and put them in a buddy's garage.
My plan was 4 of us were going to build Mausers rifles and go deer hunting.
I got 4 Lothar Walther light varmint barrels and a 257 Roberts Ackley reamer from Brownells.
My rifle was first.
We used a new piece of Winchester 257 Roberts brass as the headspace gauge.

When I shot the rifle, the brass broke.
It seems the firing pin pushes the 257 case forward until the narrow ring at the base of the 257RA chamber makes contact.
That narrow ring makes a cut into the brass before it stops the brass forward movement.
The brass goes too far forward.
When the powder goes off the case expands and sticks to the chamber wall.
The back of the case is pushed back by the pressure.
This lengthens the case beyond elastic deformation into plastic deformation [it is not going to return to previous shape].
The brass was so deformed, it cracked.

I learned that if I put 10 gr pistol power in the case and covered with cream of wheat, there would be enough 40 degree shoulder formed on the next firing of that brass... to stand up to the firing pin push.

I warned the other guys. They headspaced 0.004" tighter and never had a problem.
In 2018 I chambered a couple 280 Ackley rifles. I used a PTG go gauge to headspace. Many deer died, but no cases failed...the Nosler brass was already formed:)

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
ClarkM - Lubing the cases can help, but ultimately cutting the barrel back .004 are whatever is required to get that is the best option.

What is the length of a go gauge for 280? If my faulty memory is correct it is only about .002 shorter at the SAAMI minimum?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Tejano
ClarkM - Lubing the cases can help, but ultimately cutting the barrel back .004 are whatever is required to get that is the best option.

What is the length of a go gauge for 280? If my faulty memory is correct it is only about .002 shorter at the SAAMI minimum?

The "GO" gauge of the parent cartridge is the "NO GO" gauge for an Ackley chamber. This allows FACTORY ammo to safely chamber and fire form in a improved chamber. Only new brass or factory ammo should be used for fire forming in your improved chamber as they both are rounded at the base of the neck. This is required for safe fire forming. Brass previously fired in a parent chamber lacks the rounding at the neck base needed to support fireforming but a expander one size larger can be used on previously fired brass then carefully neck or partial size leaving the larger diameter neck junction...hope this helps

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've rechambered a couple 223 barrels to 22-204. I leave the barrels in the action and have a bushing on the reamer handle that fits the action to keep the reamer straight. I've put a 6mm pilot on the reamer and opened a 6x47Rem to 6mm-204 again it worked perfect.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hell, it ain't difficult, Bubba does it all day long and his come out perfect

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Grey dog is dead nuts, better listen if you want a quality job.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Why pay someone and wait for 6 months for something you can do yourself in a couple hours. You just have to know your limitations.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by erich
Why pay someone and wait for 6 months for something you can do yourself in a couple hours. You just have to know your limitations.

Can't argue with that logic BUBBA he should know

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 73 invisible), 2,745 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.