Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCS271
Glocks have been around for nearly forty years now and their design is well proven. The G20 loaded with 200-220gr hardcast is now probably the number one gun found in the holsters of guys outdoors in "bear country". It is the perfect combination of effective caliber, controllability, weight, magazine capacity, weather/rust resistance and ABSOLUTE reliability in a $500 package. The 40 is heavier and probably best considered in the role of a primary hunting gun, especially when a red dot is mounted. If you are just looking for something that can be grabbed and fired in an emergency you can do no better! The 1911 10mm's are nice but I do not want to have to think about releasing a safety when trouble is a split second away. Good luck.

You bring some good points to the table.

My plan was to go shoot several Glocks today - but my local gunshop started closing on Sundays a few weeks back.........................Guess I'll go next week.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be skippy happy with a 2" group regardless of the trigger.

I find I can slow fire about any trigger somewhat effectively, my 45 colt is creepy and needs fixed one of these days. I tend to shoot a good trigger better with point and shoot situational practice.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I like the 40 and I carry it most days.

Everybody knows I have a gun anyway.

Last edited by widrahthaar; 11/03/19.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
In the old days, hearing anyone say they had the Glock 40 was a sure sign that he didn't know what he was talking about, since what he meant was that he had a Glock 22, 23, or 27, not 40. That was before there actually came to be a Glock Model 40.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Got into 10mm three and a half years ago. So far have owned (in order of purchase):

Glock 40
RIA Combat Commader
PARA USA Elite LS Hunter (now the Remington Hunter)
Glock 20
Glock 29
Kimber Stainless Target II
Ruger GP-100 MC

Glock 40: Great low recoiling gun. Accurate but not as accurate as the 1911s. 100% reliable. Added TruGlo TFO tritium/FO sights and a LW .357 SIG barrel which is a joy to shoot. Also a LW stainless steel guiderod and HD spring. Trigger is stock...is ok but not as nice as the one on my 19 which is also stock.

RIA: Shoots WAY better than the $500 I paid for it. Just as accurate as the 1911s costing 2-3 times as much. 100% reliable. Great sight, nicely braking trigger but throws brass 40+ miles...

PARA: Great shooting gun, very accurate and easy to shoot.

Glock 20: Everyone's darling but mine...just beat my hand to death, especially my trigger finger...after five rounds I would be flinching... Sold it to one of my best friends who is a Glock person and he just loves it...

Gloock 29: Kicked worse than the 20...it also went down the road.

Kimber STT: Wonderful shooter that I made into a muliti-caliber gun with extra barrels and slides. When my eyes are up to it have no problem hitting an 8" gong at 100 yards...

Ruger: Would have made a great LE weapon "back in the day". Will also run .40 S&W but usually a thicker aftermarket clip is required...love mine... Looking for a 3" WC Model now...

If you like 1911 triggers, the Glock is a whole different animal....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
In the old days, hearing anyone say they had the Glock 40 was a sure sign that he didn't know what he was talking about, since what he meant was that he had a Glock 22, 23, or 27, not 40. That was before there actually came to be a Glock Model 40.

Glock fowty problem solver is actually a high point

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Great info. After sixty some years shooting everything I could buy, borrow or trade for, a guy came in to the shop with a 20 and he needed money. Unfired but with only one mag. Box, papers, goldish lube still on the rails. Vgave him $250. Have accumulated some brass, hp bullets and dies and a box of Magtech fmj for practice. Next week, devirgination.

Last edited by Papag; 11/03/19. Reason: Spelling
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Please let us know how it shoots and your impressions.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I saw that. Thanks for posting.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bwinters
Good info. Based on a sample of 3, I'd bet I do something with the trigger if I go that route.

The only purpose for this gun is plinking and meat getting/carry in bear country. I'm curious on the 6" G40.

I carry a G40 in a cross draw belt holster. Hornady factory 180 grain SP. changed the trigger, mounted a Trijivon RMR dot sight. It exceeds expectations.

Sam......

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Glock 40 MOS with RMR and Trijicon suppressor sights to co-witness the RMR. I find it much easier to find the red dot this way. My smith is a trained Glock armorer and I got him to do a trigger job. Not 1911 quality, but not bad for a Glock.

Another buddy is a range officer with lots of experience. He says to put the first joint of the trigger finger on the Glock trigger, not use the finger tip as with a 1911. This Gen 4 Glock has a smaller grip, easier to reach around far enough to position the trigger finger as noted. It does seem to work.

This one has a 7" KKM barrel, which is a drop in fit. The two clip Man Gear Alaska holster has enough room to cover the 7" barrel. I found one on Ebay for $46 plus $10 shipping from CDNN, and in the extra cost tan color. Here is the Man Gear Alaska link.

https://mangearalaska.com/gen-2-mtu-semi-auto-holster-mos-accommodation/

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 11/05/19.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mike - tell me about the EAAs. I looked at them as well and really liked the SS versions.

I'm not Mike, but I've got an EAA Witness Hunter 10mm with the 6" barrel. It is a really well made pistol and the trigger is great. It's a shooter too, one hole accuracy at 25yds, and that excellent grip shape really soaks up the recoil. It's been a while since I held one so maybe the later ones are different, but I've never held a Glock that felt good in my hand. The triggers were atrocious too.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gzig5
Mike - tell me about the EAAs. I looked at them as well and really liked the SS versions.

I'm not Mike, but I've got an EAA Witness Hunter 10mm with the 6" barrel. It is a really well made pistol and the trigger is great. It's a shooter too, one hole accuracy at 25yds, and that excellent grip shape really soaks up the recoil. It's been a while since I held one so maybe the later ones are different, but I've never held a Glock that felt good in my hand. The triggers were atrocious too.

damn I have to rent one of those somewhere! One hole accuracy at 25 yards! That's amazing!!!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Also what ammunition where you using? Reloads, factory, bullet weight?? One hole group at 25 yards! How many rounds in the group you shot??

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I really like both my EAA's. One is stainless, the other blued. Probably prefer them to my 2 1911's in 10mm (although I really like them also). I need a chance to shoot them more, been seeing lots of hogs on my place, so I hope to get busy on them.

The EAA is a solid pistol, and feels that way. With a powerful handgun, I like heft!

Mie

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mike do you get one hole groups as well?

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I had a couple EAA 10mm pistols during my search for a good 10mm. They worked, but the platform is not as good for heavy 10mm loads as a 1911 or Glock 20/40 in my experience. The EAA Witness series feel like heavy guns, but the slides are actually pretty light weight and use the same basic format for light 9mm all the way up to hot 10mm. That's great for a 9mm target pistol producing 250-300 ft-lb, the light slides translate to minimal muzzle flip and fast shooting, but not so good for heavy 10mm doing 800-900 ft-lb over the long term. In the two I had, as I worked up loads to the hotter end of the 10mm spectrum accuracy tended to degrade (sometimes wildly) and reliability suffered because of excessive slide speed. With weak "FBI load" factory 10mm ammo they were fine, but there's no point in a 10mm if that's what you want to shoot.

If I were to do another EAA 10mm, it would have to be the 6" Hunter model for the longer barrel and heavier slide.

My standard steel frame models in both 10mm and .45 were decent shooters but were definitely not "one hole at 25 yards". The two I had in 45 were definitely more accurate than the 10mm versions. The Stock II competition model I have now (9mm) is very accurate, but I still wouldn't claim "one hole" even with that one. These can be good shooters, but I wouldn't expect any of the standard models to be exceptionally better than other common 10mm pistols.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yondering for the glock 20 what have you done if anything to your triggers?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 48 invisible), 2,567 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,975
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.