Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 29 of 32 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 32
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Time has passed and a new/old frontier is before us. The .22 GTC has barked in a 10/22.

Yes, things were learned today, but that was no surprise. The CF firing pin was a bit off center and shy, yet it worked.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The action cycled normally. Load for the top wad of bullets was a CCI SPP and .9 grains of Red Dot. Two different shooters began the fracas with a clean barrel, modified bolt and ran thru about 20 rounds at 20 yards. The two wads, lower left and right, were fired by the same two gentlemen using 1.0 grains of WW231. We did not chrony the loads today, but they have both averaged 1035 fps from my Contender in the past.

Following that the firing pin was changed to RF in the same bolt. Federal HV ammo for the top group and CCI SV for the lower.

A look at the brass after the RF shoot suggests a couple of options. 1) trade bolts, not firing pins, and 2) have a stroke of design genius and do it with one bolt and two pins. I prefer the former, at least with the 10/22.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The Cartridge:

https://i.imgur.com/ciVX3Ld.mp4

Sorry about the focus, but you'll get it, more vids to follow as they upload......

Last edited by muffin; 11/01/19.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Here are three short vids, the 10-22 bolt has been modified and new firing pin was made to produce a centerfire strike. NO other changes made to the 10-22............

https://i.imgur.com/ciVX3Ld.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/vtdYd0c.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/GZ83eKq.mp4

Last edited by muffin; 11/01/19.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Double checked the regs today and guess what! The.22 GTC is a legal deer cartridge here in Floriduh.

OMG, what have I done?!?!?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You've got some hella neat rifles Dan, and most certainly think outside the box when it comes to these things.

I just drink cheap beer and shoot factory rifles.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing wrong with factory rifles, but I go for whiskey rather than beer. Boxes annoy me. For the record, the modified bolt belongs to Muffin, but the bolt was in a gun owned by the machining magician who modified the bolt. I loaded the ammo.

It was a 3 way affair?

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like threesomes.

I haven't read this entire thread, so didn't know the rifle was such a slut, getting around with so many different guy's parts and all.

I like sluts too.

Carry on.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, well well......I got a package in the mail yesterday. A swage die. grin Already shot some of the bullets it spits out and they work just dandy. I'll have to try it in Muffin's gun since I sold all mine.

DD

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Well, well well......I got a package in the mail yesterday. A swage die. grin Already shot some of the bullets it spits out and they work just dandy. I'll have to try it in Muffin's gun since I sold all mine.

DD

All mine went up in the shed fire, I'll borrow one from the neighbor.............

do I need to start making some slugs for the die????

Last edited by Muffin; 01/26/21.

( . Y . )
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Reloading RF ammo has been on the table for some time. Frankly my dear............

http://22lrreloader.com/design-details/

Might just order one of those kits for my 22 magnum.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Muffin

DD

All mine went up in the shed fire, I'll borrow one from the neighbor.............

do I need to start making some slugs for the die????

No, but thanks. Wanker I sold the gun to couldn’t wrap his little mind around the hand loading thing. Showed him the bullets I’d cast and he said “Wow, those look like bullets! You get those at Walmart? Lead is poisonous, I won’t touch it. “ Asked where he was from and he said California. Then he asked if the gun was good out to 1,000 yds. I asked if he was related to Pelosi and it was like I’d slapped him. “Please don’t tell anyone, my neighbors would kill me if they knew. How’d you know?” Told him to take a look at his driver’s license.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Just ran some bullets thru the swage. They are FLAWLESS. Time to get drunk. 😋

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ooh Ooh Ooh,

I haven't been following this one lately, shame on me. And now it's time for beddy bye.

It will give me something to look forward to tomorrow besides complaints about MidwayUSA raising prices.

Good work fellas.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Latest visit to DDs range with the 22 Center Fire.... I acquired my own mould and cases a while back

20 yards,

this mould [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

10 rounds of SK Standard + to set the stage and then 13 rounds of the CF with .7grain of Red Dot

A pound of powder and couple of pounds of lead and you can live off squirrels and rabbits.... that's 10,000 rounds to the pound of powder by the way................

( . Y . )
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Muffin
Latest visit to DDs range with the 22 Center Fire.... I acquired my own mould and cases a while back

20 yards,

this mould [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

10 rounds of SK Standard + to set the stage and then 13 rounds of the CF with .7grain of Red Dot

A pound of powder and couple of pounds of lead and you can live off squirrels and rabbits.... that's 10,000 rounds to the pound of powder by the way................

That is so darn cool and a rabbit hole I could see myself going down...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The 22 moulds for the Rimfire to Centerfire project certainly 'work'..... nice bullets, but there is always a little deformation of the bullet base when cutting the sprue, which with the base being every so slightly off center can only have a negative effect on accuracy... so

DD had commissioned a bullet swage, and the last time i was over sent it home with me to 'play around with it, see what you can come up with'

Well here it is:

1) Bullet far left as it falls out of the mould that is pictured a couple of posts up..

2) That bullet after it comes out of the swage

3) The Flash that is cut off

4) Bullet with flash removed

5) And bullet knurled with a BASTARD file!!!

Next trip to DDs' and we will see how they shoot

An observation - most of us go from casting the bullet to size/lube and then case............... but now!!!!

Cast bullet, place bullet in swage, two pumps on the press handle, two raps with a plastic hammer to extricate bullet, place bullet in die to remove flash, two raps with the plastic hammer to cut of flash, knurl with file(although i suspect this step is likely unnecessary), lube and case!!! Good thing I have nothing to do! smile

( . Y . )
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I remember an article years ago (maybe Handloader or Rifle) about problems and techniques associated with casting small bullets. The author mentioned the size of the sprue relative to the size of the bullet base as being one of the factors in accuracy. The author solved the problem by positioning the sprue cutter off center where only a small part of the bullet cavity was visible through the hole in the sprue cutter. In other words the sprue would be a small and football shaped on the edge of the bullet base.

I seem to remember that the author was using gas checks so the tiny deformity being on the edge of the base didn’t cause a problem with the bullet “release” at the muzzle.

Last edited by navlav8r; 02/28/21.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I remember an article years ago (maybe Handloader or Rifle) about problems and techniques associated with casting small bullets. The author mentioned the size of the sprue relative to the size of the bullet base as being one of the factors in accuracy. The author solved the problem by positioning the sprue cutter off center where only a small part of the bullet cavity was visible through the hole in the sprue cutter. In other words the sprue would be a small and football shaped on the edge of the bullet base.

I seem to remember that the author was using gas checks so the tiny deformity being on the edge of the base didn’t cause a problem with the bullet “release” at the muzzle.

Wiregrabber, I have actually noticed that myself, there is less deformity............. need to experiment a little, see just how much or how little hole is necessary to cast a bullet........... but the swage makes much better bullets. Did a little experimenting and put a few of the bullets in the swage base first, you can't tell the difference..................

Now I need a swage for my 300 Blackout..... smile

Last edited by Muffin; 03/01/21.

( . Y . )
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
What kind of alloy are y'all making these bullets out of?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I started with 30:1 and after several months added some wheel weight. BHN is in the neighborhood of 7-8. Accuracy improved significantly.

I am..........disturbed.

Page 29 of 32 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 270winchester, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,200
Posts18,466,008
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.