Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I’ve drawn a once in a lifetime tag for Oryx at the Stallion Range in Whitesands, NM. For various reasons that aren’t important, I won’t be handloading my .300 Win Mag and am looking for a good factory load to buy.

The rifle I’ll be using is a Remington SS that I’ve owned for well over twenty something years and is the most accurate centerfire Ive ever owned. It seems to shoot pretty much anything I put through it exceptionally well. I don’t think it’s ever shot anything I’ve tried in it over an inch and half. I am very comfortable with the rifle and long range shooting.

Any recommendations for good factory load for oryx in particular? All indications are that long range shots are likely on these very tough skittish critters. I have two weeks before the hunt.

Thanks to all in advance...

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Drew the same tag 12 years ago, used 338 win 225 hornady interlocks, humped him up over 400 yards, quartering away shot, no reaction to the hit, kept running uphill, stepped onto a rock pinnacle, stood like a ibex, teetered and did a nose dive and rolled 100 yards of so ass over teakettle... Tough sumbitch, fun hunt.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I quit putting in for White Sands Oryx due to the circus that ensues on opening morning, background checks and all the base rules in addition to it being not much more money (if any) to hunt them in their native habitat in Africa...

That said, my one Oryx took a 180 Spartan (South Africa's version of a TSX) out of a .30-06 AI straight to the chest, a perfect double lung hit, and it still ran several hundred yards and needed a finisher. I have no recommendations on a factory load for you, but thought I'd throw that out there.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I quit putting in for White Sands Oryx due to the circus that ensues on opening morning, background checks and all the base rules in addition to it being not much more money (if any) to hunt them in their native habitat in Africa...

That said, my one Oryx took a 180 Spartan (South Africa's version of a TSX) out of a .30-06 AI straight to the chest, a perfect double lung hit, and it still ran several hundred yards and needed a finisher. I have no recommendations on a factory load for you, but thought I'd throw that out there.

Thanks for the info but I’m confused as to how the cost of an African hunt can possibly equate with that of a tag on WS? I don’t even remember what the tag cost me because it was so insignificant. Certainly less than two hundred dollars - hell, maybe/probably less than half that? confused

Other than the cost of gas from my home to the range and maybe lunch, which again is negligible, there is really no other expense.

Edited to add for those considering it: the background consisted of a simple form you fill out which took me all of a few seconds. There are some rules but they are basically common sense such as don't pick up unexploded ordinance should you come across some, and you must wear orange.

Ive got lots of friends that have done the same hunt. I’ve heard how opening morning turns into a race to get to the hunting area, but my plan is to hang back and let everyone go ahead then pick up the oryx they’ve all rushed past. Really not that big a deal as far as I’m concerned. Very much looking forward to the experience.

Very cool, exotic animals I’ll probably never get to hunt in their native land so I’m grateful for the chance.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 11/03/19.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Opening morning was dumb. We headed straight to the mountain range, spotted a big bull, and hunted him. He was all by himself bedded halfway up the mountain... Cool animal and hunt. My tag was $1616.00 back then...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
36”x8”, he was the biggest taken on my hunt dates..

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Judman

Very nice, congrats. I hope I get as lucky.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Thanks for the info but I’m confused as to how the cost of an African hunt can possibly equate with that of a tag on WS? I don’t even remember what the tag cost me because it was so insignificant. Certainly less than two hundred dollars - hell, maybe/probably less than half that? confused

Other than the cost of gas from my home to the range and maybe lunch, which again is negligible, there is really no other expense.

Edited to add for those considering it: the background consisted of a simple form you fill out which took me all of a few seconds. There are some rules but they are basically common sense such as don't pick up unexploded ordinance should you come across some, and you must wear orange.

Ive got lots of friends that have done the same hunt. I’ve heard how opening morning turns into a race to get to the hunting area, but my plan is to hang back and let everyone go ahead then pick up the oryx they’ve all rushed past. Really not that big a deal as far as I’m concerned. Very much looking forward to the experience.

Very cool, exotic animals I’ll probably never get to hunt in their native land so I’m grateful for the chance.

You being a resident changes the cost thing significantly. I was just thinking out loud, so to speak.
I'd pay non-resident fees, plus have to fly or drive down there, get a motel, etc., etc., etc. I think Jud's tag price figure is still correct...or close to it. The no picture thing, other than of the animal and no buildings in the background, having to check in and check out, etc. just seems like more rues than I want to deal with. I am sure it isn't hard to make sure nothing identifiable is in the background, but all the little things add up to too much for me. I don't like background checks at all, not matter how small or insignificant. I'm not trying to whine, just stating why I quit putting in for that draw.

Good luck on the hunt. They're a really neat animal, no doubt. I have a barbary tag down near Carlsbad for this coming Feb. Can't wait.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya we had to hide our cameras off range, unload it for pics, then load it again. 😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice bull Jud. I love hunting oryx, and have killed 7-8 of them in Nambia and a couple in South Africa. Used a 160 Accubond from my Tikka 7mag. LOVE the meat, which ranks right up there wtih axis as the best wild game I've ever eaten. That alone would be worth the cost of admission for me in NM and it beats the hell out of a high fenced TX hunt. I've got a line on some outfitter/off range tags when my turn comes up. Not cheap, but about 1/3 the cost of a good elk hunt. Good luck OP.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya Johnny they’re damn good groceries

Ain’t easy havin pals.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I’ve drawn a once in a lifetime tag for Oryx at the Stallion Range in Whitesands, NM. For various reasons that aren’t important, I won’t be handloading my .300 Win Mag and am looking for a good factory load to buy.

The rifle I’ll be using is a Remington SS that I’ve owned for well over twenty something years and is the most accurate centerfire Ive ever owned. It seems to shoot pretty much anything I put through it exceptionally well. I don’t think it’s ever shot anything I’ve tried in it over an inch and half. I am very comfortable with the rifle and long range shooting.

Any recommendations for good factory load for oryx in particular? All indications are that long range shots are likely on these very tough skittish critters. I have two weeks before the hunt.

Thanks to all in advance...

Federal Premium 180 grain Nosler Partition would be my choice.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Dryfly,

I've shot several dozen oryx and used a .300 Win. Mag. on all of them. 220gr., 200gr., 180gr. Partitions, 180gr. TSXs. The last several were shot with 200gr. TSXs and it's the best bullet that I have used so far on oryx. If you can find a factory load using this bullet, use it. If not available, factory loads using 180gr. Partitions or TSXs will work just fine. I believe Federal offers both bullets in their Premium line.

Good luck on your hunt.

RS

Last edited by RipSnort; 11/03/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Federal Premium 180 grain Nolser Partition would be my choice as well. Hard to go wrong with a Partition

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Ripsnort,

Thank you sir. Exactly the info I was looking for...

Last edited by Dryfly24; 11/03/19.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Federal Premium 180 grain Nolser Partition would be my choice as well. Hard to go wrong with a Partition

Originally Posted by RipSnort
Dryfly,

I've shot several dozen oryx and used a .300 Win. Mag. on all of them. 220gr., 200gr., 180gr. Partitions, 180gr. TSXs. The last several were shot with 200gr. TSXs and it's the best bullet that I have used so far on oryx. If you can find a factory load using this bullet, use it. If not available, factory loads using 180gr. Partitions or TSXs will work just fine. I believe Federal offers both bullets in their Premium line.

Good luck on your hunt.

RS

I still have some old rounds I loaded with the old generation coated XBULLETs and a few partitions as well, but they’re so old I’m just gonna buy some factory rounds. Thanks to all who responded. Very much looking forward to the hunt. I’ll post pics when I get back if successful.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I killed mine on Rhodes Cyn at 83 yards, with what started as a 1.5 mile stalk. Yes, despite what some say, they are stalkable! Shot mine with a 30-06 and a 165 gr TSX. It was quartered away and went in mid ribs, stuck just under hide on offside shoulder. Textbook 40 yard death run and face planted.

I’d pick your choice in premium 180 or 200 gr bullet and go have a great hunt. I thought it was a fantastic experience in an important historical place.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I shot three back when I lived in New Mexico. All were shot with the original Barnes X, 160-grain, from a 7 mag. My hunts cost me $41 and half a tank of gas!

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Not much to add to the discussion about which bullet to use as all the ones that have been mentioned are good.

My only advice is to study up on the anatomy of the big antelope and commit it to long term memory. Their internal set up is not like the North American cervids we are used to hunting. If you put one "just behind the shoulder" on a broadside shot, like you would with deer or elk, chances are you will either just clip the back of the lungs or miss them altogether.

Of course, you may already know this, and if so, please disregard. If not, I hope it was helpful.

Good luck on your hunt!

Last edited by HandgunHTR; 11/04/19.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
Not much to add to the discussion about which bullet to use as all the ones that have been mentioned are good.

My only advice is to study up on the anatomy of the big antelope and commit it to long term memory. Their internal set up is not like the North American cervids we are used to hunting. If you put one "just behind the shoulder" on a broadside shot, like you would with deer or elk, chances are you will either just clip the back of the lungs or miss them altogether.

Of course, you may already know this, and if so, please disregard. If not, I hope it was helpful.

Good luck on your hunt!

Yes sir, very much aware. Everyone has been hammering that one home to me. Much appreciated...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dryfly-----I killed my oryx at the Stallion Range. That was quite a few years ago probably pushing 20. It was back when there was 10% preference on NR tags. I actually drew in my 1st try. 3rd choice, I think it was the January hunt. It was a fun weekend.

I had packed the pickup the night before and there was a bunch of vehicles that were broken into. They stole my 30/06 & my spotting scope. I had to borrow a rifle. A friend let me use his Ruger in 300 Win Mag. I think his handloads were 180 grain. Nolser Ballistic Tips. They worked just fine----1 shot kill on a 36" bull. He was the largest bull checked out that hunt when I went thru the gate.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Dryfly-----I killed my oryx at the Stallion Range. That was quite a few years ago probably pushing 20. It was back when there was 10% preference on NR tags. I actually drew in my 1st try. 3rd choice, I think it was the January hunt. It was a fun weekend.

I had packed the pickup the night before and there was a bunch of vehicles that were broken into. They stole my 30/06 & my spotting scope. I had to borrow a rifle. A friend let me use his Ruger in 300 Win Mag. I think his handloads were 180 grain. Nolser Ballistic Tips. They worked just fine----1 shot kill on a 36" bull. He was the largest bull checked out that hunt when I went thru the gate.

Wow! That sucks that your stuff was stolen but great job on the draw and hunt!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I killed my 2018 bull with a 150gr factory Barnes TTSX. 1 shot at about 330 yds, DRT. If my -06 can do it with that bullet at that range, your 300 certainly can.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.federalpremium.com/rifle/premium-centerfire-rifle/

Any of these really.

I am a Barnes whore, although I am switching to the Tipped version. The Trophy Copper would be good (looks suspiciously like a Barnes IMO.) and the Trophy Bonded Tipped would also be good. There isn't really a bad bullet listed. I would go 180 myself.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Barnes 180gr TTSX got the job done on a young bull. Small but tasty, with a bent horn tip that will make a wonderful and interesting trophy.

Thanks to all who helped out. And a huge thank you to the NM Warden’s service. Warden Jake and Warden Storm put us onto the herd he belonged to on the third and final day. Never met nicer, more professional officers in any department.

Wish I could post a pic but I can’t upload directly to this site.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 11/12/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good Deal.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Barnes 180gr TTSX got the job done on a young bull. Small but tasty, with a bent horn tip that will make a wonderful and interesting trophy.

Thanks to all who helped out. And a huge thank you to the NM Warden’s service. Warden Jake and Warden Storm put us onto the herd he belonged to on the third and final day. Never met nicer, more professional officers in any department.

OK...start saving for your next one, wherever you choose to hunt it...they are a bit addicting...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ingwe

OK...start saving for your next one, wherever you choose to hunt it...they are a bit addicting...

Man is that true! They are amazing animals and now all I can do is dream of the next time I can go after them. That’s the one bad thing about hunting them, everything else seems like a down grade now.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Lotta truth in that Dryfly. Ingwe warned me a few years ago and boy was he right.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Lotta truth in that Dryfly. Ingwe warned me a few years ago and boy was he right.

I remember that...told you Ive killed a pile of them and you hoped to say the same some day...and you have! laugh laugh laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Congratulations!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrats,

Hunting Oryx is a blast for sure. Hopefully the state will eventually give me my OIL.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dryfly----Let us know what you think of the meat. Many think it's better than elk. Bob

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Dryfly----Let us know what you think of the meat. Many think it's better than elk. Bob

That one is easy since I literally just got the chance to compare them side by side. The oryx is far and away better. I made a couple elk steaks and oryx steaks and prepared them identically. The elk is easy to tell apart from the oryx,

At first, I thought for sure I would like the elk better as just on appearance alone the elk is much darker red - which is more appealing to me as I am a big meat eater. But when comparing them flavor wise side by side the oryx wins hands down. My wife wouldn’t even touch the elk afterwards.

Much like a very lean, mild beef.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Experiment to see if the pic comes up.

Edited to add: Big thanks to SLM. Studied his link to figure out how to do it... smile

Last edited by Dryfly24; 11/13/19.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Congrats Dryfly24!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Congrats Dryfly24!

Thank you buddy. Had a blast! smile

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Gorgeous animal. Congrats!

I've officially moved them onto my, "to do" list. wink

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D

Last edited by Dryfly24; 11/13/19.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

FC

Very, very tough animals that can take an incredible amount of physical damage making bullet placement critical. Also very wary with a very good sense of sight. Makes it hard to stalk up on them. Had some heart breaking long stalks go south on me.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

FC

Joe..you would NOT be sorry!!

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D

FC

Joe..you would NOT be sorry!!

Ingwe,

I was amazed and captivated by the beauty and majestic appearance of these animals. So unlike anything we have here at home. I felt like I was in some far off, exotic land, instead of the southwest US. Wonderful experience unlike anything else I’ve ever done.

Closest thing would be the time I saw a herd of red stag being led a by a big mature bull in in Germany when I was stationed there. Took my breath away as I had no idea just how beautiful those animals could be until I actually saw one in its natural habitat.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Very, very tough animals that can take an incredible amount of physical damage making bullet placement critical. Also very wary with a very good sense of sight. Makes it hard to stalk up on them. Had some heart breaking long stalks go south on me.

I was thinking of taking a 300. Are you suggesting the suffix should read, “WM”, instead of “SAV”?

Then again, that 7x57 is kinda itchin’ to pull off another, “stunt”...

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 11/14/19.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Ingwe,

I was amazed and captivated by the beauty and majestic appearance of these animals. So unlike anything we have here at home. I felt like I was in some far off, exotic land, .

Here's one I shot in a far off exotic land, a few years ago...they've been one of my very favorite things to hunt.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I was thinking of taking a 300. Are you suggesting the suffix should read, “WM”, instead of “SAV”?

FC

The SAV will do just fine. Or, the 7x57. The one I killed a few years ago fell to the little .308 and a SGK. (I know the SGK sucks). The point being, hit them in the shoulder and keep shooting until they fall.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D

FC

I don’t think you can go wrong with whatever you decide to take as long as you put the slug into something it needs keep living. Marginal shots I’m sure would be a problem. I heard stories from wardens and biologists about them traveling miles with catastrophic wounds that would put anything else down. On the other hand they aren’t bullet proof, just very tough. My animal’s lungs and liver were shredded to a pulp and he kept getting up and falling down. I’ve never seen an animal with that much tenacity.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D

Ingwe,

I was amazed and captivated by the beauty and majestic appearance of these animals. So unlike anything we have here at home. I felt like I was in some far off, exotic land, .

Here's one I shot in a far off exotic land, a few years ago...they've been one of my very favorite things to hunt.

Beautiful animal Ingwe. They are right at the top of my list too. I feel lucky to be living somewhere where I can actually hunt them instead of just dream about it. You are a lucky man. I can only imagine what a wonderful experience that was. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

FC

Shot my last one with a 7x57 Joe...... grin

And my biggest one ( body size..) with a .303 British laugh

Last edited by ingwe; 11/14/19.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FC----Start applying for the tag. You may get lucky on the draw. Or better yet plan a trip over to the Kalahari. It's only money smile Bob

DryFly-----are you doing a shoulder mount? I got mine with a 90* turn on it. Reminds me of you photo. They make a great mount. Dang it, now I'm getting the bug. May have to look into a Scimitar Oryx in Texas.

Last edited by colorado bob; 11/14/19.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
FC----Start applying for the tag. You may get lucky on the draw. Or better yet plan a trip over to the Kalahari. It's only money smile Bob

DryFly-----are you doing a shoulder mount? I got mine with a 90* turn on it. Reminds me of you photo. They make a great mount. Dang it, now I'm getting the bug. May have to look into a Scimitar Oryx in Texas.

Bob,

I’m thinking Euro mount. Very simple, cheap and classy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 3,052 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.