Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've broken a few. They have their place but I prefer a collet puller. If I don't care about saving the bullet I do what mjbgalt does. I use linemans pliers and this damages the bullet. Then it goes into the melting pot to be recycled!

lightman
HR IC

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Another happy Grip-N-Pull user. You don't have to worry about the tool breaking, primer detonation or damaging the bullet. One tool handles multiple calibers and they are quick and easy to use.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have had no problems with accuracy from pulled bullets using the inertia puller, the collet puller works great but the bullets are ruined 100% of the time.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Get a collet puller, no breakage nor frustration.

Agreed.

The grip-n-pull looks cool if you don't have any big bores though.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
For singles I use an inertia puller. Anytime I need to pull more than two bullets the collet puller comes out. I use Hornady.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'll never use an inertia puller again after getting a grip-n-pull. So much easier. I've got two of them, the one for the standard bullets and the one for the big boys.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mike_S
https://grip-n-pull.com/

^^^^^^Heres your huckleberry^^^^^^^^

Yep

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Those hammers make you look like a monkey trying to fix an automatic transmission with a plastic bat.
Collet pullers are the only way to go. If I'm only adjusting powder charges I use mine to put the bullet right back into the case it just came out of. I use the RCBS model.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I have had no problems with accuracy from pulled bullets using the inertia puller, the collet puller works great but the bullets are ruined 100% of the time.

This, I can not understand. I have the Hornady collet puller and have used it for nearly ten years to pull many hundreds of bullets. It has never left a mark on a cup and core, or on a mono-metal in 6mm, 6.5 mm, or 7mm.

I do not have collets for 22 or 30 cal. But there are 3 inertia pullers in the drawer for those.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by HiredGun
Those hammers make you look like a monkey trying to fix an automatic transmission with a plastic bat.

Now that made me laugh--best description I've ever heard of hammer pullers!

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

This, I can not understand. I have the Hornady collet puller and have used it for nearly ten years to pull many hundreds of bullets. It has never left a mark on a cup and core, or on a mono-metal in 6mm, 6.5 mm, or 7mm.

I do not have collets for 22 or 30 cal. But there are 3 inertia pullers in the drawer for those.

I use the Hornady Collet Puller in a Coax. As long as there's bullet bearing surface to grab, the only time I've messed up a bullet it's been my fault, e.g. I used the wrong collet (usually knowingly), had collet too tight, manhandled lever, etc.. Run the collet down to within a half hair off the case mouth and grab the bullet by the bearing surface with just enough grip to extract it plus a smidgen.

Assuming you've got bearing surface to grab, if your wrecking bullets, then either you have the puller adjusted with too much grip or it's a neck tension/crimp issue. I run minimal neck tension. The smaller the bullet the trickier. I did wreck a few .204 bullets back when I first started using the Hornady Collet Puller.

My thinking has been, any slight surface damage to the bearing surface will get worked out by a trip down the bore. Regardless, If there's any doubt a bullet was damaged, it gets used in a fouler or velocity check. This choice is a function of an unsubstantiated belief that pulled bullets are substandard.* It should be noted that, the bulk of my loading these days is for matches ranging to 1200 yrds. or practice for said matches.

I don't typically pull too many bullets. If I did, I wouldn't be loading them in match rounds, regardless of how they were pulled. *See above.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The head/cap will break if not on tight. Tighten every couple of whacks.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I keep a four inch long piece of rail road rail on the bench for an anvil. With a solid anvil, a couple whacks with an inertia puller is all it takes, unless the cartridge is crimped hard.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Get a collet puller, no breakage nor frustration.

This ^^^^^^

MM

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The hammer type, inertia pullers work fine if the bullet has some weight to it, 45 Colt, 45-70. And if you throw the aluminum collet away and use your shell holder instead.
Collet pullers are a nicer solution!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Most of the time there is no mark at all but I start out with very little tension and just add enough to do the job. Even on the really soft bullets without much sticking up to grab, sure a collet puller might leave a pretty good ring dent but I guarantee you that bullet's BC will not be affected nor will it affect accuracy or the performance on game. At least nothing I can see on paper. I have tested it every which way during 40 years of having to pull bullets during load development and never once has accuracy been affected.

I even super tightened it just short of bending the handle on a batch of 20 bullets that had 43 grains of H380 which is way too much for a 22-250 when it's over 100 degrees out. and sure it left a huge ring on the soft little .224 Hornady 50 grain SPSX still found the ground squirrels every time to 300 yards. That or that barrel being over 8000 rounds has so much experience it just tells the bullets where to go.

I will say the best way to wreck a bullet is using a pair of side cutters and squashing the bullet way out of shape. I assume that will affect accuracy and performance a little bit.

I got a hammer puller for Christmas once. I tried it a few times and since I like to use my puller to push the bullets right back in once the powder is corrected I didn't have any use for it so I gave to to the neighbor kids to smash potatoe bugs with it. If a guy is determined to use those I recommend buying them buy the dozen.

My RCBS is kind of cool because I can adjust the tension and once you collect all the collets you can pull from 17 through 50 cal. A lot of collets will do several calibers close in diameter. A 270 will do 6.5 and 7mm if you want to. 30 cal will grab 8mm. Over the years I finally have collected them all just because.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like my Hornady Cam Lock.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
384 members (204guy, 280shooter, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 47 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,595
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.