Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm curious about the 2 Glock 10mm, the G40 and G20. I've shot a couple Glocks but thought the triggers kind of sucked. But they seem to be close to indestructible.

I bought a RIA 10mm this summer thinking the extra heft of an all steel 1911 frame would tame the beast. I found it very comfortable to shoot with Buffalo Bore 220s. Which leads me to investigate the Glock - holds twice as many and weighs a couple ounces less fully loaded.

Will the polymer Glock handle consistent use of Buffalo Bore/Underwood 200/220 hard cast?

Any weirdness to Glocks I should know about?

Anything else - like feeding issues with the Buffalo Bore/Underwood ammo?

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Buffalo Bore 220 hard cast load feeds flawlessly in my Glock 20. Very accurate in it too. My other go to load for it is a 200 gr Hornady XTP HP over a max load of AA-9. No light loads ever in mine. Some say it needs a heavier recoil spring. But mine runs just fine with the Factory supplied one.
Only mods to mine are a Ghost 3.5 lb trigger connector and night sights.

It’s my go to gun for bow hunting in the lower 48 in bear country and while rifle hunting too.
15 +1 rounds of the Buffalo Bore load give me that “warm fuzzy” felling. 🤠

Last edited by chlinstructor; 11/02/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good info. Based on a sample of 3, I'd bet I do something with the trigger if I go that route.

The only purpose for this gun is plinking and meat getting/carry in bear country. I'm curious on the 6" G40.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bwinters
Good info. Based on a sample of 3, I'd bet I do something with the trigger if I go that route.

The only purpose for this gun is plinking and meat getting/carry in bear country. I'm curious on the 6" G40.

Had one of the G40’s for a while. I much preferred the size and weight of the G20 for packing as a sidearm in the woods.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the info. My RIA has a 5" barrel and I have a Commander length 45 ACP. Both carry well enough.

Was the trigger a drop in unit or did you have a smith do it?

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
No worries. You can’t go wrong,IMO.

The guys with the G40’s will chime in.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for the info. My RIA has a 5" barrel and I have a Commander length 45 ACP. Both carry well enough.

Was the trigger a drop in unit or did you have a smith do it?

I did it. I only replaced the trigger connector. Only takes about 3 minutes

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you for the info!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I put a set of meprolight adjustable on mine, it also has a heavier trigger spring which reduces the trigger pull. I am pleased with the gun, 180 grain XTP’s over 13.7 grains of AA#9 is a good load. I believe you can go to 14.5 but this seems fairly brisk and is reasonably accurate. I want to improve the trigger pull some more.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I'm curious about the 2 Glock 10mm, the G40 and G20. I've shot a couple Glocks but thought the triggers kind of sucked. But they seem to be close to indestructible.

Yup. Nobody buys a Glock because they like the trigger; you buy them despite the trigger, because of their other advantages. A factory "-" (minus) connector and an extra power trigger spring are easy improvements to the trigger.

Yes, they'll handle a steady diet of Underwood and Buffalo Bore. Handloads at that same level are pretty much all mine ever shoot, and have been doing that since the gen 3 SF frame was pretty new so it's been a while.

They are not the easiest guns to shoot well, but if you can master the trigger you'll find them durable, reliable, and reasonably accurate with powerful 10mm loads. And if you need to, they'll safely run 40 S&W ammo right out of the box with no alterations; most other 10mm pistols are not safe to do that.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Yondering

....... And if you need to, they'll safely run 40 S&W ammo right out of the box with no alterations; most other 10mm pistols are not safe to do that.

And if someone wanted they can pick up one of the conversion barrels for 40 SW for ~$145.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm headed to the local gun range today to try out a few Glock models to evaluate the trigger situation. I dont need a target gun. I'd be happy with 2" groups at 10 yards.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a G40 with red dot.....extremely accurate with Sig ammo. I use for hunting with Diamond D chest holster.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a G20 and G29. They shoot the hotter Buffalo Bore and Double Tap loads with ease. Recoil even with those hot loads is softer than standard 45 ACP hardball from a 1911. The wide backstrap, Glock grip angle combined with the plastic frame really tame recoil.

I don't find the trigger to be that bad. It is a crisp 5-6 lb trigger, exactly the same as most out of the box 1911's. Yea, you can work on a 1911 trigger, or buy one of the target models with a better trigger. I can make kill shots at 50 yards on a human silhouette target with either of mine. Good enough.

You can buy a 40 conversion barrel if you want, but I shoot 40 S&W ammo through mine as is. They function just fine and I don't give up any accuracy. But I can buy cheap FMJ ammo in 40 or 10mm for exactly the same price ($14/50) rounds so I rarely do so. But it is nice to know I can if necessary.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I hit a pig at 44 yards with a stock model 20. Drew blood, but could not find it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I LIKE 10mm, a lot. Tried a G20 early on, first magazine of factory loads fired experienced a case rupture that burned my palm, cracked the grip, mangled the magazine. Got rid of the Glock - don't think it had enough case support - although I did switch to a longer Glock barrel which gave me no problems. Still, I have two EAA 10mm's I like a lot, also a Kimber 10mm 1911 an an RIA 1911.

Mike Holmes

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mike - tell me about the EAAs. I looked at them as well and really liked the SS versions.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Even with the horrid trigger 5 180 XTPs touching st 10 yards is easily do-able. The G20 has become a favorite of mine. However unless you reload you cannot get the most out of the pistol I thought about the witness as well, parts availability and just durability of the Glock moved me in that direction

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Glocks have been around for nearly forty years now and their design is well proven. The G20 loaded with 200-220gr hardcast is now probably the number one gun found in the holsters of guys outdoors in "bear country". It is the perfect combination of effective caliber, controllability, weight, magazine capacity, weather/rust resistance and ABSOLUTE reliability in a $500 package. The 40 is heavier and probably best considered in the role of a primary hunting gun, especially when a red dot is mounted. If you are just looking for something that can be grabbed and fired in an emergency you can do no better! The 1911 10mm's are nice but I do not want to have to think about releasing a safety when trouble is a split second away. Good luck.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The Glock 20 sells like hotcakes in Alaska, mainly to sport fishermen.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

362 members (264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 43 invisible), 2,819 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,599
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.