Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I was on my way home from pheasant hunting, cruising down a well used gravel road. I saw a coyote on the left side shoulder of the road about 200 yards ahead. As I got closer, he crossed in front of me and entered the standing corn on my right. As he did this, I noticed a red fox standing on an approach on the right side, directly opposite of where the coyote had been standing. The fox was caught in a leg hold trap and he was struggling pretty hard to free himself, no doubt because of my truck and that the coyote had been there sizing him up. I thought about putting him out of his misery, but all I had with me was my 12 gauge and I knew there was no way to do it without damaging the pelt in some way. I also figured that even if I was able to pull it off without damaging the pelt, the coyote would likely return and eat the carcass. Probably likely that if I hadn't happened along he would have (and may still) killed the fox and eaten it.
I am in no way anti trapping, but sitting there watching that fox struggle wasn't pleasant. In the end I decided to leave him to his fate. Though that was the legally correct thing for me to do, it sure didn't feel like the morally right thing. North Dakota law requires all trappers to visually inspect their traps every 48 hours. It would also have been illegal for me to have tampered with any animal caught in another's line.

GB1

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i just hate dilemmas. we all do.

knew of a dude who ran up on a whitetail deer in the ditch, with a broken leg and shoulder from a car accident/event.

he didn't have a gun, so he beat the doe to death with the crook of a tire iron.

throwed it in the trunk for later skinning and retrieval of anything edible.

he didn't want the buzzards & yotes and poosums causing a wreck.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You’d feel much better about it...if you knew that the Fox was a “democrat”! I suspect it was.....you should feel better now! wink That should be the fate of all democrats! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/03/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You did the right thing. Trapper may have come along right behind you.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Too often, doing what's right feels like anything but.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B2

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
so true.

we are under the law.

we are not under morals.

that is to say: pay your taxes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
In the end I decided to leave him to his fate.

The only correct answer.

Glad you did that.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shoot any birds?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Next time, pack a 22 LR pistol with solids. Get it to its fate quicker. I've zapped road-crippled deer more than once.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Next time, pack a 22 LR pistol with solids. Get it to its fate quicker. I've zapped road-crippled deer more than once.

Not a good idea to interfere with another man's trap, no matter what you are carrying.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can't mess with somebody else's traps even if the situation is unpleasant. Suppose an anti-hunter spotted you in a tree stand with deer approaching. Something past unpleasant to him, should he spook the deer off?

Society has decided people are allowed to trap no matter how unpleasant a particular situation may be, gotta respect that. If it involves illegality or results in cruelty call a conservation officer.

So some 80 miles south of Fargo and haven't seen a fox in years. Used to have one living in a rock pile in a neighboring hay field. Mange about wiped them out. (Vet friend had farmers asking him about the mysterious pink foxes.) Would be nice to see a few around, some jacks too. Don't know why they disappeared.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the 'yote will take care of him. they run down and kill foxes even when they are not in a trap, no reason to think, as you suggested, that this one would be any different.

I would say, good on you that it bothered you; also good on you you made the right choice.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ideally the trap would have enough chain so the catch could hide from view.
Ideally the coyote is in another trap now.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How many guys wait 48 hrs to check trap? I always checked at least 1x per day.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are some real bastards out there that don't give a damn.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Depends on the number of traps, the distance one has to travel to reach their lines, and whether one has another job that actually pays the bills. Those who ran a handful of traps close to home often checked them daily but there are many who aren't able to do so.

At times I regularly went near 48 hours between checks due to my previous job being a 24 hour shift so was able to check only every other day when scheduled to work. Others I knew ran lines after work and had limited time to do so due to distance from home and/or other commitments. A few that trapped near full time ran very long strings in order to make it pay and did half each day.

In some places it may draw unwanted attention to check traps too often. Either curious do gooders or trap thrives may spot you and steal your traps. That is a serious problem in some areas and the more often one is seen going into an area, the greater the likelihood of a problem. When it happens the area is pretty much blown for future trapping.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by woodmaster81

Depends on the number of traps, the distance one has to travel to reach their lines, and whether one has another job that actually pays the bills. Those who ran a handful of traps close to home often checked them daily but there are many who aren't able to do so.

At times I regularly went near 48 hours between checks due to my previous job being a 24 hour shift so was able to check only every other day when scheduled to work. Others I knew ran lines after work and had limited time to do so due to distance from home and/or other commitments. A few that trapped near full time ran very long strings in order to make it pay and did half each day.

In some places it may draw unwanted attention to check traps too often. Either curious do gooders or trap thrives may spot you and steal your traps. That is a serious problem in some areas and the more often one is seen going into an area, the greater the likelihood of a problem. When it happens the area is pretty much blown for future trapping.

I hear what you are saying.

But checking traps once a day results in less lost animals, and less encounters with the public that trappers don't need or want.

If you can't check them once a day, then you probably don't need to be trapping, or need to shorten your lines/area.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You did the right thing as tough as it was too watch. It would have been nice if you could have shot the coyote though.

I keep a 22 pistol in my hunting truck but I don't think I would use it on someone else's trapped game. I did use it a few years ago to finish off my 5x5 bull elk. Then I had a European mount done and I have to explain to everyone what the hole in the middle of the skull is. Its heart was completely gone thanks to a 215g berger hybrid but it was still moving a bit and blinking so without thinking or hesitating I put a velocitor in its head.

If your worried about a trapped animal about all you can do is call fish and game and have them check it out. They might know who traps the area and be able to give them a heads up to come take care of it a little quicker then they might be planning on.

If it was a democrat fox it would have chewed off 3 legs and still be caught.

Bb

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
PR would say to not put traps where they are easy for non outdoors public to see.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by woodmaster81

I hear what you are saying.

But checking traps once a day results in less lost animals, and less encounters with the public that trappers don't need or want.

If you can't check them once a day, then you probably don't need to be trapping, or need to shorten your lines/area.

Yep.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (Birdwatcher, 35, Ashworth, Bigd7378, 11 invisible), 1,422 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,256
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.