Print Thread
Hop To
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a new to me TC Hawken percussion 50 cal. My muzzleloading to date has been flintlocks and in-lines, I know nothing about percussion caps. It was stored in a basement for years. The barrel have plenty of rust and other gunk inside. I tried to remove the side screw which I believe holds the nipple. Even after a kroil bath it would budge, had to drill it out. Nipple is toast.

So trying to decide if it’s worth either tapping the side screw next to nipple, installing a new nipple, giving thorough cleaning...or replacing breech with one from Track of the Wolf, followed by cleaning...or jut replacing the entire barrel. The lock and trigger function as they should, and will probably be better after a thorough cleaning.

For barrel options, Track if the Wolf has green mountain barrels but they measure 32”, mine measures 29”, will the key line up? Also eBay has some 50 cal TC Hawken barrels but a little Leary given the corrosion of black powder. Tough to tell what’s on the inside. Thoughts?

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
link

This one looks good to me. Good price so far

Last edited by lazydrifter; 11/03/19.
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Yep, watching that one...a bit cheaper than a green mountain

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd talk to Bobby Hoyt and that would become a 54 or 58 caliber round ball shooter. Betting he could fix the breech too. Sorry I don't have his contact info, but should be an easy google search.

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
So rebore the existing barrel? Any idea on cost?

I thought about going 54 since I’ll be shooting PRB. They are just hard to come by it seems.

Last edited by TomM1; 11/03/19.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Soak the barrel and clean the rust. Sometimes they will surprise you even with some pitting.

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by lazydrifter
Soak the barrel and clean the rust. Sometimes they will surprise you even with some pitting.

Gotta get the see-tru’s off first, can’t stand the sight of them on a classic MZ. Believe they are Red Lok-tite’d

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Tom, I bought a TC Hawken last spring. The barrel shoots ok with round balls but leaves much to be desired with conicals. I decided to buy from Track Of The Wolf and get the 50 cal. Green Mountain with the 1/66" twist. This barrel is far superior to the factory barrel with round balls. I doubt you will be disappointed in this barrel. You can laos buy the conical barrel if you choose and think the price is the same. I only thing I dont like about the barrel is it is 33" long will be using it for deer and it is not a good tree stand barrel. It shoots about 2" @ 50 yds with iron sights. It cleans easy too. The barrel came to $286? with postage . It had sights, the breech plug and a nipple. If fit just a bit tighter than the original barrel but not tight enough for a problem. It seems to be a better fit actually.

Last edited by ihookem; 11/03/19.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the first hand review. I have a Lyman GPH with the fast twist for conicals, so kind of wanting a round ball shooter. Good to hear the Green Mtn barrels are of high quality if I go that route.

What about the sights? Are the Green Mtn barrel sights as nice as the factory TC?

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
[u][/u]Yes, it has sights that are just a bit different than factory but suspect a bit better quality. Comes with a breech plug and a S.S. nipple. If you are looking for a roundball barrel, I dont think you have to look any further. Just maybe Rice barrel would shoot better but I can't imagine you would know the difference with iron sights. If I get lasic surgery on my eyes, I think I could shrink the groups down a bit cause my glasses are perfect to see the target but it makes my sights a bit blurry.

Last edited by ihookem; 11/03/19.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B3

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks 👍, TOTW has the sights listed as Williams I believe.

Another question (apologize), what about barrel markings? Is there a subtle Green Mtn mark, or a spew of alphabet running up and down the barrel?

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 30338
I'd talk to Bobby Hoyt and that would become a 54 or 58 caliber round ball shooter. Betting he could fix the breech too. Sorry I don't have his contact info, but should be an easy google search.

Bobby Hoyt is a legend in muzzy barrels. He lives one town down from Gettysburg.
I won't quote a price from him, but it beyond reasonable. He can bore that 50 to a 54 with a nice deep grove for roundball.
I say the Booby option is probably better than a green mountain barrel by a smidge due to the cost. Anyway I would be sending the barrel to Mr. Hoyt.
He does not do internet, and he is hard to get by phone because he does not answer when he had a machine running. So know it takes a few tries to get in line. It is worth it.

Robert Hoyt
2379 Mt Hope Rd
Fairfield, PA 17320-9756
717-642-6696

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I’ve got a #11 nipple on order and appropriate taps to chase threads if needed. I’m going to clean up the original and see how it shoots. If not to my likening, will contact Bobby for a 54 rebore. I’m in no rush, plenty other weapons to use.

Thanks all!

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
There is very little for markings. On the bottom it says 1/66 and has an emblem on it. I think it might be a G or something.

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Good to hear, Thanks. I hate all the branding that goes on today, like L on top of Leupold rings. What were they thinking???

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 71 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,810
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.