Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by nighthawk

J[quote=nighthawk]Shhh! Calling a cheap knife good is a heresy. But with modern metallurgy and production methods it's easy to make a cheap, serviceable knife. Even stainless is so much better - what they use in production facilities where you work with a knife 8 hours a day. And those guys would buy knives more expensive than Victronics/Forchners if it made life better.

Just keep it sharp and you'll make it through any game animal. Dad once field dressed a deer with his cheap pipe knife and it was far from razor sharp.

Another secret is that being a "hunting knife" in most cases is a pretty easy gig for a blade. Gutting a deer? It only requires cutting some soft tissue. I expect that anything Mora makes is more than adequate.

Yep, gutting a deer can be done with a broken beer bottle.

Skinning one and breaking down quarters, that's not quite the same knife game.

Dad forgot his knife one time and gutted a buck with a G.I. can opener.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm a slut. Been doing 75 or so Prime purchases a years. Only occasionally does it cost me a few percent more than otherwise, usually saves and sometimes significantly. Prices fluctuate, buy low, be selective on unknowns and heed review percentages. Always send Bear4Watch a link. laugh

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty simple, non-emotional economic decision. If you buy a lot via mail order then Amazon Prime is a good deal, if you don't then it isn't.

My mail order buying is probably on the border line for economic viability but I really like Prime for the video streaming since it has opened up a world of cheesy B, C and D grade movies plus hundreds of Chinese, Korean and Russian films that I never knew existed. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been using them for years. Prolly have about 6 of them. Unbeatable for the money.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
. Quick hunt after work. Forgot knife. Gutted that year's buck, with one of those key chain, Swiss Army mini / nail file deals.... In recent years I have used those Walmart $4 knives in packs on sporting display... The right style, works great, gut, skin, filet to backpack. Stick em in dishwasher. Can't remember touching up on 3 deer last year....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tscott
. Quick hunt after work. Forgot knife. Gutted that year's buck, with one of those key chain, Swiss Army mini / nail file deals.... In recent years I have used those Walmart $4 knives in packs on sporting display... The right style, works great, gut, skin, filet to backpack. Stick em in dishwasher. Can't remember touching up on 3 deer last year....

I've got those darned things all over the place. In the boat, in my pack, both vehicles. Heck, I think I left one in the tree stand last fall. They do work good for a $4.00 knife.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I field dressed a deer with a Zyliss serrated paring knife last year. I had one in the box of useful stuff that I keep in the truck, I think that I put it there to use for cleaning carp and catfish. Not a bad choice for a $10 knife, but the plastic blade cover is only safe if you carry it in a pack when you go afield.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the red, wooden handlemodel from them. I use 6 of them for steak knives.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by night_owl
Those Mora knives are ground with a convex bevel.
To preserve the correct edge geometry, sharpen with silicon carbide paper over a mouse pad.

No they aren't. They are Scandi (saber) with a slight flat microbevel.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Vicky parer does morer, betterer that a Mora 2mm stainless for lesser $.
The 2.5mm and .125" Carbon are a different story...and a bit higher price point...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Originally Posted by night_owl
Those Mora knives are ground with a convex bevel.
To preserve the correct edge geometry, sharpen with silicon carbide paper over a mouse pad.

No they aren't. They are Scandi (saber) with a slight flat microbevel.

You are right. I stand corrected.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 2.5mm and .125" Carbon are a different story...and a bit higher price point...

I moved on from the Victorinox paring knives to the Zyliss paring knives because the handles are quite a bit larger and fit my hand better.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by nighthawk

J[quote=nighthawk]Shhh! Calling a cheap knife good is a heresy. But with modern metallurgy and production methods it's easy to make a cheap, serviceable knife. Even stainless is so much better - what they use in production facilities where you work with a knife 8 hours a day. And those guys would buy knives more expensive than Victronics/Forchners if it made life better.

Just keep it sharp and you'll make it through any game animal. Dad once field dressed a deer with his cheap pipe knife and it was far from razor sharp.

Another secret is that being a "hunting knife" in most cases is a pretty easy gig for a blade. Gutting a deer? It only requires cutting some soft tissue. I expect that anything Mora makes is more than adequate.

Yep, gutting a deer can be done with a broken beer bottle.

Skinning one and breaking down quarters, that's not quite the same knife game.

The Indians did it with rocks 🙂

‘Course, they upgraded to steel when they could.

Damn, I can’t quite recall the name, but there’s a number of Indian place names in the East that translate to “place of sharpening stones”. Once they were buying knives en mass they needed to keep an edge on them, some rocks worked better than others. Honing stones got traded around.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Couldn't resist, had to order a item that was big and cheap and Amazon wanted $18 in shipping so added 2 more of these knives to get "free" shipping.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I moved on from the Victorinox paring knives to the Zyliss paring knives because the handles are quite a bit larger and fit my hand better.

I swear by the cheap Victorinox wavy paring knives (and Dexter (buck or two cheaper)), But I will look into the Zyliss.

Nothing wrong with a Mora, but for a glovebox knife... $3 beats $9

https://www.katom.com/135-31612.html

Thanks for posting (to all)...

Nothing wrong with a premium knife either to wear/gut, but to steak out a couple of deer after... I sure do love a nice sharp lightweight knife

Last edited by CashisKing; 11/04/19. Reason: Typos... as always

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Been using these knives for a decade or more. Light, super sharp, holds an edge, and easy to re touch with a steel. Also keep one in each of my vehicles. Give them a try, they are great for skinning and decent for boning.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T3DY8XK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If they are sharp and take and hold an edge.
Roll with em.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just ordered three, one for each of the kids. My son especially has a habit of misplacing knives. This one wont break the bank if he loses it.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just received my first one. I'll be buying three more on payday. Two to give away in the Christmas grab box. OP Thanks!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just received the four Marakniv . They'll make great stocking stuffers.

Wife already has ours in the knife drawer sans scabbard.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have several including one of these. Probably their most expensive knife. But it is a heavier duty knife with thicker steel, full tang construction and a better sheath. Compared to the $10 knives this seems like a lot, but if made by anyone else would be over $100.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Morakniv-Garberg-Fixed-Blade-Knife--49577

I couldn't get the amazon link to work for the Garberg, but it is $70 on Amazon.

And at around $30 probably my favorite. Very similar blade shape to the one above, but lighter. I think this is a worthy upgrade over the $10 knives.

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Kan...mp;psc=1&refRID=5MKGTF08MRB2BXZ49VXJ

Last edited by JMR40; 11/05/19.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 7 invisible), 1,601 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.