24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't think of trapping next to the road.

BP-B2

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Tyrone
How many guys wait 48 hrs to check trap? I always checked at least 1x per day.

Me too. Check traps every day, even if you don't have to. Can reset traps that caught. Less chance of something else eating the catch. And, of course, cuts down on needless suffering.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wisconsin laws:

Non-submersion (dry) Set: non-submersion sets must be attended and checked in person at least once each day and any captured animals must be removed from the set, except that weasel boxes may be checked every four days given that:1. the entrance hole is no greater than 1⅜inches in diameter;2. the enclosure set must use a body-grip trap (for weasels this includes a foothold trap and rat snap trap); and3. the enclosure is securely anchored to an immovable object. Water Set: water sets, except submersion sets, must be attended and checked in person at least once each day and any captured animals must be removed from the set.Submersion Set: any trap set capable of capturing an animal and capable of submersing the captured animal. Slide wires or poles, locking devices, slip chains, weighted traps and traps staked in deep water are commonly used in submersion sets. A body gripping trap is not a submersion set when more than one-half of the set trap is located above water. Traps must be attended and checked in person within a 4-day period following the last tending of the set. Any captured animals must be removed from the set unless it is an under ice set. You must monitor water levels to ensure effective submersion sets. Under Ice Set: there are no mandated trap checking periods for sets made under the ice.

You may not molest or take traps, cable restraints, snares or trapped animals that belong to someone else.

Interference with Trapping. No person may interfere with lawful trapping with the intent to prevent the taking of a wild animal: Harassing wild animals, impeding lawful trappers or disturbing lawfully placed traps, among other actions, may constitute unlawful interference.

Stealing or molesting traps, cable restraints, snares, animals or the contents of any lawfully placed trap, cable restraint or snare is a criminal act and is punishable by fine ($300-$1,000), imprisonment (up to 90 days) or both and a mandatory 5-year revocation of license.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I cannot stand to let something suffer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer

So what about being caught by the foot means the fox was “suffering”?

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The fox was not suffering at all. A trapper can easily release that fox from a foothold trap (if so desired) and he will run away with hardly a limp. The only thing that a foothold does is squeeze the foot and make it lose feeling. There is nothing damaging about it. Most canines are sleeping quietly when the trapper checks his traps, after they have struggled before their foot fell asleep. Snap a trap on your fingers sometime and test it yourself. It's not a big deal.

That fox was struggling because he saw the coyote coming, plain and simple.

And yes you did the right thing, as it is absolutely illegal for anyone to mess with another's traps in NoDak. Most trappers would take major offense and rightly so.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
The fox was not suffering at all....

Exactly

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Mother Nature is generally much more cruel that people are.

Foot traps are not a big deal. I"ve had em snap on my hands/fingers before. Yep it smarts but if you think animals life is pure pleasure you dont know nature. Any animal including a human naturally would try to escape.

But at least you made the right decision.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkchsr

Just going with what the OP said about putting the fox out of its "misery". I'd say misery and suffering were about the same thing.

Sucks to be a wild animal. They rarely die of old age and every other way is hard. I don't mind killing something, but trapping it in a leg trap can induce a lot of suffering on the part of the critter if by nothing else being held in place and eaten alive.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nighthawk
There are some real bastards out there that don't give a damn.

You are correct. Not every trapper is ethical, and follows the rules and regulations to the letter.......just as not every hunter does so either, and anyone else for that matter. Caught some local Mennonites setting traps on posted land, and they were checking them every 2 or 3 days, or whenever they had the time. Called the game warden and he ticketed them, they went before a judge and pleaded this "we're just poor working people trying to make a living" to him, and the judge let them walk.

I often set traps for varmints around my farm, both live and leg hold traps, and I always check them every day. If I see that I'm going to get busy and can't check them properly, I'll pull them.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
You should have used the 12 gauge on the coyote, and kept on going.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never done any trapping. Out of curiosity...

Do y'all identify the traps with contact information?

I bet the trapper would appreciate the call to avoid a messed up pelt from ole Wiley.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is from the Montana trapping regulations:

Trap Identification (MCA-87-6-601(2)) – Metal identification tags must be fastened to all traps. Metal tags must bear the name and address of the trapper or a personal identification number, which is the trappers date of birth and ALS number. Metal identification tags for snares must have the trap owners name, address, and telephone number. Landowners trapping on their own lands and irrigation right- of-way contiguous to their land do not need to tag traps or snares.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
shoot the coyote!

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Move on in life and let the legal trapper handle his own business according to the laws of the state. That's the easy thing to do.

It is obvious that the majority here must not and never have trapped much. It also is evident that most have unwittingly bought into the anti-trapping agenda and attendant liberal lies that go with it.

For truth and education's sake, buy a #2 foothold trap to play with at home, and test it on yourself and your pet dog. Your views of trapping would more resemble reality after that than what is being bandied about here.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Only thing to have done differently would’ve been to have backed off a ways, shut down your rig and wait for the coyote to come back out of the corn. The fox is likely squealing and making a fuss and The coyote knows it’s there. I bet you’d have sat for <5min before getting a crack at the coyote.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by elkchsr

Just going with what the OP said about putting the fox out of its "misery". I'd say misery and suffering were about the same thing.

Sucks to be a wild animal. They rarely die of old age and every other way is hard. I don't mind killing something, but trapping it in a leg trap can induce a lot of suffering on the part of the critter if by nothing else being held in place and eaten alive.

So how much geezer trapping have you done?

I've done a fair amount. I"ve NEVER seen an animal in a trap eaten.. Not saying it can't happen. But I've not seen it.

What folks think and whats reality is often 180 off

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
248 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 27 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,800
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.