Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Safari 550 in 416 Rigby. Feeds and ejects fine, but the bolt slide could be smoother. I've used anything from toothpaste to jeweler's rouge in the past and sat there and cycled, but other than sending it to a gunsmith, any suggestions, please?

J

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have made "lapping sticks" out of maple and polished the lug ways with 600 grit Clover compound. It takes about 30-40 minutes to get them slick. When done with the lapping wash it all off super well with a strong detergent in hot water, and oil the receiver. The bolt gets cleaned up and re-polished on my buffer to a bright finish so it looks new.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by szihn
I have made "lapping sticks" out of maple and polished the lug ways with 600 grit Clover compound. It takes about 30-40 minutes to get them slick. When done with the lapping wash it all off super well with a strong detergent in hot water, and oil the receiver. The bolt gets cleaned up and re-polished on my buffer to a bright finish so it looks new.

This.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Believe it or not but they smooth out fairly quickly through "normal" use - but I guess "normal" use may vary between individuals. When I bought my CZ in 375H&H mag brand new, I would put about 20 rounds through it each weekend while I was working out reloads for it. Initially the action was very rough and the magazine guide rails would score the brass but luckily I'm lazy and ended up not doing anything about it, and it came good by itself. Ultimately the brass was otherwise undamaged and lived a normal life to expire of the usual neck crack.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mine in 9.3X62 was a bit rough at first, with use it is now fine. They will get better with age..

IC B2

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I’ve had lots of 550s and currently use them exclusively. No need to polish...they wear in relatively quickly with normal use.

GOD Bless America
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just cycle more. They are wonderful guns. Now with a .416 you might not want to shoot as much because of cost and recoil so sit in front of the boob tube and work it. Keep some lube on it, never dry.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In addition to smoothing the bolt raceways clean up the top edges of the magazine box, the follower and the feed ramp. Someone told me manipulating a CZ 416 Rigby was like driving a garbage truck and after I bought mine I couldn't agree more. I had to slightly roll the forearm so that the longer bolt would clear my face. As I aged the 10 1/2 pound weight got tiresome walking back to the Land Cruiser after chasing buffalo all day. I replaced it with a 416 Ruger. Incidentally I have a Talley peep sight (discontinued) that fits on the integral rear base of the CZ receiver. Makes a nice back up for Africa. PM if interested.
Regarding practice I bought cast lead gas checked bullets which allowed all the practice you want at a reduced cost.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In addition to all of the above recommendations I found that after I treated my bolt and receiver (but not the chamber) with Dyna Tech Gun Coat the actions always ran smoother this and a little moly grease on the back of the bolt lugs. A polished race way and then a Black T finish on the bolt is slicker than owl sh*t.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
748 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 87 invisible), 2,791 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.