Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 30338
I'd be surprised if he doesn't turn into a fine hunting dog. It might take a few trips but I bet his natural instincts come on strong.

I agree. His natural instincts seem very strong. I need to learn more about how to train him, or perhaps will have him trained, but I'd rather try myself. He's getting walked once daily, sometimes twice daily if my son takes him out again in the evening. Has gone from being very cautious of strangers, to being quite friendly. However, if an unknown man starts walking towards us, he's on full alert! I kind of like that. Here we are, walking in a local park, meeting nice people:

[Linked Image]

Guy

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Not the best pic of her tail but you can see it's quite a bit longer than a GWP.
[Linked Image]

Of course it's unlikely you'll never really know your boys true breed, but he sure looks like a PP to me. As long as he takes to bird hunting and is a great companion to you, you've both won the jackpot! I'd find a NAVHDA in your area and get in on some training days. Take it slow and make sure the obedience is down pat first. Good luck to the both of you!

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks! That canyon could be right here a couple miles from home! smile Same kind of country.

Turns out he's got papers, he's a real live GWP, just has a "liver" coat which is shorter than the norm for other versions of GWP.

Ya, we're working on obedience. He's doing well. Am hoping to hunt with him this fall, but if that doesn't work, next fall is fine.

He's already done some obedience training sessions, and I'm looking forward to more. Not sure how I'm going to proceed with his hunt training... But we'll get it figured out.

Regards, Guy

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Looks a lot like my middle son's labradoodle. He is a large, very friendly rascal who will wear your arm out fetching whatever you will throw out there for him.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good on you! I agree that he looks an awful lot like a pudelpointer. I'm a fan of the breed, but am biased and relatively inexperienced with dogs.

[Linked Image]Untitled by .com/photos/150924633N06/]Tyler Staggs, on [bleep]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer
Good on you! I agree that he looks an awful lot like a pudelpointer. I'm a fan of the breed, but am biased and relatively inexperienced with dogs.

I agree ...... I'm betting it's a PP as well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pointer, Is that this year quail in Indiana? Used to hunt them down in the Evansville area when I lived there. Dogs are looking great on here guys.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No those are from a preserve east of Indianapolis. That said, I currently live just north of Evansville if you know of some places I need to check out... wink I got a line on a place I may be able to try for some, but it'll have to wait until after deer season. Not a whole lot of birds around this part of the state anymore.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

286 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 35 invisible), 2,818 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,617
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.