Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
cast10K Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Looking for input on these two... particularly from prone. I'm finding I really need a more vertical grip to get a comfortable, natural alignment through the wrist and trigger finger. Do I need to go with the Game Scout, or will the McHunter be noticeably more comfortable from prone than say a Manners EH6?

The McHunter appears to have an ever so slightly higher comb than the Game Scout. Probably not enough to make a difference with 42mm objectives.

These will be for rigs with #3 and 2b barrel profiles.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Have both, numerous hunters which is my favorite hunting stock, for what your doin I'd go gamescout.. Maybe look at the gamehunter too.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like my game scout a lot for prone.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
#2 Hawk Hill on this one.

C
cast10K Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for your input so far guys.

To be clear, I'm looking for an all-around, not a dedicated so-called 'belly gun'. Just not sure going to the McHunter would be an improvement over the problems I'm having with my EH6's.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Both will be an improvement over the eh6. I’d go gamescout.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by cast10K

To be clear, I'm looking for an all-around, not a dedicated so-called 'belly gun'. Just not sure going to the McHunter would be an improvement over the problems I'm having with my EH6's.

What other problems are you having other than needing a vertical grip?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by joshf303

What other problems are you having other than needing a vertical grip?

Curious as well...the couple I’ve got are great

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
C
cast10K Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Josh - really that's the only thing bothering me. From prone it just seems I really have to contort my wrist, and my finger doesn't line up nicely on the trigger like it does from other positions. Maybe I'm making too big a deal of it.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Josh - really that's the only thing bothering me. From prone it just seems I really have to contort my wrist, and my finger doesn't line up nicely on the trigger like it does from other positions. Maybe I'm making too big a deal of it.

No Sir, you aren’t IMO....

Building a consistent grip while shooting prone with a vertical grip is more natural than the contemporaries. Better alignment, easier finger placement and allows better directional pull into the shoulder pocket.

I know it’s not on your list. I’ve had the two in your OP and the Manners EH1 still wins HANDS DOWN. The comb height/cheek weld was a deal killer for me on the Game Scout.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

IC B3

C
cast10K Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I looked at the EH1 and it seemed a lot bulkier... what do you think of it with #3 and 2b barrel profiles?

Plus, as far as I can tell the wait time is 2-3x as long as McMillan right now.

Really appreciate the help here fellas.... all the right guys are responding grin

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have both. you should just get 2 rifles, one with each!
Really you should try them both. They are very different, but I shoot them both equally well. Prone or off a bipod/tripod. Teh game scout may feel more natural but years of shooting hunter stocks has made them pretty much an extension of my body.
ToA

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thank you Josh very helpful

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The comb height/cheek weld was a deal killer for me on the Game Scout.

Agree with you on the Game Scout comb height. For me though, I need an adjustable comb to get a decent cheek weld even with an EH1. So, I decided on the Game Scout with an adjustable comb since it seems a little trimmer than the EH1 to me.

John

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I looked at the EH1 and it seemed a lot bulkier... what do you think of it with #3 and 2b barrel profiles?

Plus, as far as I can tell the wait time is 2-3x as long as McMillan right now.

Really appreciate the help here fellas.... all the right guys are responding grin

It handles those contours well. I’ve had everything from Sendero contours to Brux #3s in them. Just bedded up a 2B 6.5 PRC in the latest and I dig it....

The EH1 has a skosh fuller grip, but I don’t mind that a bit. Using an open grip and “shelving” you thumb I don’t even notice it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a gamescout on my 7mag. I liked the vertical grip a lot for shooting prone but the grip area was a little too thick for my taste.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

I know it’s not on your list. I’ve had the two in your OP and the Manners EH1 still wins HANDS DOWN. The comb height/cheek weld was a deal killer for me on the Game Scout.

Exactly my thoughts. If weight is not a major concern, get the adjustable cheek.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by FishinHank
I had a gamescout on my 7mag. I liked the vertical grip a lot for shooting prone but the grip area was a little too thick for my taste.

Often when I hear the grip is too thick complaint, I wonder how your thumb is positioned? Wrapping it around the grip? Rest your thumb on top just behind the tang.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
The comb height/cheek weld was a deal killer for me on the Game Scout.

Agree with you on the Game Scout comb height. For me though, I need an adjustable comb to get a decent cheek weld even with an EH1. So, I decided on the Game Scout with an adjustable comb since it seems a little trimmer than the EH1 to me.

John

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Agree. Go with the Game Scout with adjustable cheek if your barrel is a 3ish down, EH1 with a heavier contour.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Originally Posted by FishinHank

Often when I hear the grip is too thick complaint, I wonder how your thumb is positioned? Wrapping it around the grip? Rest your thumb on top just behind the tang.

Duh. That's my only complaint too. Going to try that! I feel pretty stupid for not figuring that out. Thanks

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

C
cast10K Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I put in my order for 3 Game Scouts last week. I compared the listed comb height with those of other stocks I own and I don't have concerns about the cheek weld... at least with my big noggin. If it turns out to be a problem I'd rather use a triad pad @ 5 ounces. Thanks to all who contributed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 51 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,521
Posts18,452,746
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.