Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by horse1
but, the X-mark in that 308Win certainly isn't going to be the cause of someone not killing a critter.

If it would be then why the hell would someone be in the field with it?

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I put an Ernie's spring in the last one. It actually made it quite useable. That said most wear Timneys and have one Trigger Tech Primary.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Originally Posted by horse1
but, the X-mark in that 308Win certainly isn't going to be the cause of someone not killing a critter.

If it would be then why the hell would someone be in the field with it?

What I'm getting at is in a hunting situation, shooting from field positions, the X-mark in that rifle vs. say any aftermarket trigger shouldn't be narrowed down as a significant factor towards hitting or not hitting the intended target.

Probably not what I'd want to shoot for a day of Prairie Dogs or any sort of rifle competition, but, plenty sufficient as a "hunting" trigger. No flies an 3# and relatively crisp.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I do not care for the current X Mark Pro trigger, mostly because I do not like that danged screw where it is. In order to get one down to 3 pounds or thereabouts, they usually require a lot of adjustment, which means the screw is sticking out like a sore thumb. I was replacing mine with either a Timney, or an older style Remington, until I heard of Ernie the Gunsmith's springs. I ordered a couple, and they work, turning the X Mark Pro into a pretty decent trigger.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some from years ago would not clean up, even with an Ernie spring, but newer ones have been easy to respring. I still don’t like them in general, but they can turn out ok.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPro
Some from years ago would not clean up, even with an Ernie spring, but newer ones have been easy to respring. I still don’t like them in general, but they can turn out ok.

Even with an Ernies spring, I still do not care for that screw in the trigger. On the rifles that I use a lot, I will replace an X Mark Pro, not respring it.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I set all of my target rifle triggers (apart from BR and "F" class rifles) to 2 pounds because that is the requirement for metallic silohuette spoter class. It was easy to accomplish a very crisp 2 pounds with the X-Mark Pro trigger. I certainly wouldn't waste money replacing it. GD

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I know a lot of people don't like them but ive found them to be easy to adjust and as nice as say a timiney.

Trigger Techs are the best if you can swing it.

GOD Bless America
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have one I took off and sent to Neil Jones with a note to make it 1.5 lbs and as crisp as he could, it came back just as I had asked. I've tested it for safety as many ways as I can and it's reliable. As it sits it's great, I couldn't have done it myself but someone who knows what they're doing can certainly make them nice. He removed the screw, it's not there any more.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
After a bad experience with the last versions of the Walker I would not adjust it myself. I would either send it to someone like Neil Jones or just buy a Trigger Tech. I also like a side mounted bolt stop and a MauserWinchester swing style shroud safety would be nice, but with all this you are close to the cost of a custom action.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Put a Timney in it, never look back!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I have one I took off and sent to Neil Jones with a note to make it 1.5 lbs and as crisp as he could, it came back just as I had asked. I've tested it for safety as many ways as I can and it's reliable. As it sits it's great, I couldn't have done it myself but someone who knows what they're doing can certainly make them nice. He removed the screw, it's not there any more.

I have one on a M7 and did not like it at all. Talked to my gunsmith and he said first thing remove the screw and work from there. If you can't get what you want bring me the gun. Took 10 minutes and I had a plenty good enough trigger. Better in fact than some Timneys I have owned. This said why did they replace the no screw version that came before the with screw version? I wanted to replace the trigger with a Triggertech trigger but at the time they did not make one for a Model 7.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The no-screw versions have been fine to me. They adjust easily enough down to 2.5-3.5 pounds. Haven't broke one yet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one with the screw in the trigger, and the first time I went to adjust it the trigger broke in half. I have since put Timney triggers in all of my Rem 700's, and not thought twice about it.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Just installed a Trigger Tech Primary on a new SPS .223 Tactical, world of difference. Caught the TT on sale 20% off and free shipping at Midway. Have Timney and tuned Walker triggers on several other rifles and a Jewel on one rifle, the TT is the best trigger I have ever used. I used to think you could not beat a well tuned Walker but the TT is the way to go. Easy peasy install and adjustment.

jme

There is a war on America and America is losing
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
That's because the Trigger Tech also uses a sear connector (although they call it something else). GD

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by greydog
That's because the Trigger Tech also uses a sear connector (although they call it something else). GD

I know! That's the part that cracks me up with all the buzz about TT triggers. The TT is essentially a well tuned Walker..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Hudge
I had one with the screw in the trigger, and the first time I went to adjust it the trigger broke in half. I have since put Timney triggers in all of my Rem 700's, and not thought twice about it.

Sounds like MIM parts.

Timney uses machined aluminum and steel, no MIM that I can tell.

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If connecting rods can be made that way it seems like a trigger part could be made durable enough.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman
If connecting rods can be made that way it seems like a trigger part could be made durable enough.

I think it would depend on how well the part was made, how massive or flimsy the piece and the stress it was subjected to. Once you experience a MIM failure, you tend to avoid such, sticking with more conventional stuff.

DF

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

612 members (260Remguy, 270cowboy, 257 mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 71 invisible), 2,138 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,295
Posts18,448,991
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.