Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Around here that would get burned.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What about doing your stabilizing and finishing in one shot. I would just give the whole slab a coat of pour on self leveling epoxy. Hit up you tube lots of videos doing live edge slabs. You would encapsulate the rot. Which looks pretty cool to me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Beat the ever loving schit out of it with a chain until it's all solid wood then stain/burn/seal to taste.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Spokeshave and use sanders to replicate a live edge.

^^^this^^^

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
What about doing your stabilizing and finishing in one shot. I would just give the whole slab a coat of pour on self leveling epoxy. Hit up you tube lots of videos doing live edge slabs. You would encapsulate the rot. Which looks pretty cool to me.

That should have been option 1, but that ship sailed when he dug at it with a screw driver, now we are brainstorming option 2.

However. If he didn't dig at both sides, he might still pull that off and just flip the buggered side down. Only people that would know are the people he tells.

You see a lot of people stabilizing wood on youtube using epoxy and putting it under vacuum, but I don't think that's needed unless it's something that is going to be milled or turned.

I damn sure wouldn't burn it... I might use it for a lot of small projects, but burning would be a shame.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ask the neighbor for about 30-40 more and you can cook some pork shoulders. lol

Like I do with that stuff.
$15 a bundle 😄

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cheap enough. That bundle here is 100 bucks. grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by LJBass
Originally Posted by mike7mm08

That should have been option 1, but that ship sailed when he dug at it with a screw driver, now we are brainstorming option 2.

However. If he didn't dig at both sides, he might still pull that off and just flip the buggered side down. Only people that would know are the people he tells.

You see a lot of people stabilizing wood on youtube using epoxy and putting it under vacuum, but I don't think that's needed unless it's something that is going to be milled or turned.

I damn sure wouldn't burn it... I might use it for a lot of small projects, but burning would be a shame.

Not necessarily. I think I've got some options. Y'all have expanded my thoughts on it.

I got a bunch of tags to notch, but afterwards, maybe February, I'll start this project.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I was going to show a pic of a fireplace mantle we put up out of a similar looking hunk of black walnut (I think from looking. My daughter sourced the plank) 2 inch slab sawn from the middle of a twenty inch tree. One side was ripped square to lay up against the fireplace. The other side is raw with a bit of bark left.

But I absolutely can not get cell phone or camera pics to upload to the 'Fire anymore. They just refuse to go.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I would use a wire wheel on a hand grinder, go with the grain. That would keep the live edge look. Make sure you use a soft wheel, and wear safety glasses! I built lots of burlwood and live edge tables, for waterbed stores in the late sixties and early seventies! Made lots of dollars as a side business! My records show 186 tables in 1970! Mostly redwood burls.

Last edited by Heym06; 11/05/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Live edge is worth saving in my opinion. Cracks....fill 'em or not.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That looks like firewood to me.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Only thing I'd add is I'd find a local shop with a time saver and pay them run it through that. I think it would be a great slab bench or coffee table.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
George Nakashima put paid to the notion that cracks, knots, and live edges needed to be eliminated. Were it mine I would hog all the loose stuff off the edges and then burnish what remained with a dead soft wire wheel followed by hand polishing. Fill the knot hole with clear epoxy, and stick a couple bow ties into the seasoning crack as the OP suggested. Flatten the whole works and start varnishing.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Couple more of my stool samples.....

Not far from being a potential coffee table, just needs a wider slab.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Couple more of my stool samples.....

Hey, no one wants to see that grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
-sniff-

I am..........disturbed.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
-sniff-

I see what you did there!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Had a guy from the neighborhood ask if he could dump a few big white pines in my hollow a couple of weeks back.
I got to looking at them and thinking.......
Decided to make a couple of benches for the Tenn house.
Going to let them air/sun dry all winter under roof.

Bench seat and first slab for bench with backrest:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

FJB & FJT
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (338Rules, 16penny, 338reddog, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 16 invisible), 1,239 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,227
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.