Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: water resistant down sleeping bags....sleeping bags/price [Re: 79inpa] #14238322 10/29/19
Rock Chuck Offline
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
When you get to the age where a couple midnight pee calls are needed, those bag liners can be a real pain to get out of. That's one reason I love my quilt. It's warm, comfortable, and easy to get out of if needed. Taking a set of long underwear solely for sleeping will keep the bag clean and egress easy.

If you work for a living, why kill yourself working?
Tuco
300 BP

Re: water resistant down sleeping bags....sleeping bags/price [Re: Edwin264] #14238899 10/29/19
SheriffJoe Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Edwin264
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Interesting what WM has to say about treated down......

"... Although I've used the bag, I have not really been in the kind of weather to make a determination as to how effective it will be in extremely wet conditions for days.
I do like the bag so far. It is lighter than my Antelope, stuffs a bit smaller and the 0 degree rating seems to be reasonable."

"lighter", "smaller" and warm makes for the best sleeping bag.

BTW, bag liners are available that can mitigate absorption of water vapor, body oils, dirt inside the bag as well as add a few degrees of temp rating.

They are called vapor barriers.

Out here, we call 'em "sheets".

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.
Re: water resistant down sleeping bags....sleeping bags/price [Re: Rock Chuck] #14238907 10/29/19
SheriffJoe Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
When you get to the age where a couple midnight pee calls are needed, those bag liners can be a real pain to get out of. That's one reason I love my quilt. It's warm, comfortable, and easy to get out of if needed. Taking a set of long underwear solely for sleeping will keep the bag clean and egress easy.

Instead of taking slippers for late night excursions in windy, snowy, cold-ass environments...take a pee bottle.

Re: water resistant down sleeping bags....sleeping bags/price [Re: SheriffJoe] #14239076 10/29/19
mtwarden Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Instead of taking slippers for late night excursions in windy, snowy, cold-ass environments...take a pee bottle.

Definitely!

Re: water resistant down sleeping bags....sleeping bags/price [Re: 79inpa] #14239565 10/29/19
ribka Online Sleepy
Campfire Tracker
Online Sleepy
Campfire Tracker
that's what the Nalgene is for

Alpha

Re: water resistant down sleeping bags....sleeping bags/price [Re: SheriffJoe] #14239643 10/29/19
ironbender Offline
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Who pees in their slippers?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Re: water resistant down sleeping bags....sleeping bags/price [Re: ironbender] #14239811 10/29/19
SheriffJoe Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender

Let's ask your wife...

Re: water resistant down sleeping bags....sleeping bags/price [Re: ribka] #14240044 10/29/19
smokepole Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ribka

I could never find one with a big enough opening.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Re: water resistant down sleeping bags....sleeping bags/price [Re: ribka] #14240158 10/29/19
mtwarden Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

more specifically, the Nalgene w/ the permanent marker skull and cross bones on it laugh

Re: water resistant down sleeping bags....sleeping bags/price [Re: smokepole] #14240258 10/29/19
ribka Online Sleepy
Campfire Tracker
Online Sleepy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole

schiiiiit!
😂

Bravo

Re: water resistant down sleeping bags....sleeping bags/price [Re: SheriffJoe] #14240391 10/29/19
ironbender Offline
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ironbender

Let's ask your wife...

You should. I'd buy tickets to that. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Re: water resistant down sleeping bags....sleeping bags/price [Re: smokepole] #14240656 10/29/19
Rock Chuck Offline
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I have a plastic Folgers coffee can with a tight lid.

If you work for a living, why kill yourself working?
Tuco
Re: water resistant down sleeping bags....sleeping bags/price [Re: Rock Chuck] #14240753 10/29/19
SheriffJoe Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

380 cup or 420 cup version?

Re: water resistant down sleeping bags....sleeping bags/price [Re: Rock Chuck] #14240769 10/29/19
smokepole Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle

Folgers, it's the best part of waking up.....

Re: water resistant down sleeping bags....sleeping bags/price [Re: Rock Chuck] #14253181 11/03/19
alpinecrick Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When you get to the age where a couple midnight pee calls are needed, those bag liners can be a real pain to get out of.

Yeah, I tried a liner.....once. When it came time to pee in the middle of the night I thought I was gonna have to cut my way out of the friggin bag..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Re: water resistant down sleeping bags....sleeping bags/price [Re: smokepole] #14253191 11/03/19
alpinecrick Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

OMG.... whistle

Yeah. Besides, I have to stand up to pee anyway--may as well go outside. Not only that I figure my partner might get a little nervous if I'm standing over him whilst peeing in the tent.....

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Re: water resistant down sleeping bags....sleeping bags/price [Re: 79inpa] #14253454 11/03/19
smokepole Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Yeah, I'd be nervous too, my tent's not tall enough to stand in.....

But, that water resistant down bag really comes in handy when that happens.

Re: water resistant down sleeping bags....sleeping bags/price [Re: 79inpa] #14254511 11/04/19
Kurt52 Offline
I've spent some miserable nights in a soaked down bag....but not in the treated "Superdown" KUIU 15*F bag I've had 5 years. Last year on a moose hunt we had a leaky (unknown to us) water jug in the tent. I was sleeping on the ground on a thin pad and woke up in puddle. I figured the down bag would be wet for a long time...but it was dry in few hrs of hanging up. Works very well and stuffs into a very small package. And their Superdown puffy jacket and pants are good too. I'm a believer in treated down...my Mt Hardware synthetic bag is reserved as a loaner for my nephew when he comes up to hunt with me,

Re: water resistant down sleeping bags....sleeping bags/price [Re: Brad] #14255753 11/04/19
CanadianLefty Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gents,

I happened to read this (below). Looks like down might be improved upon but no telling what the long term side effects of the treatment might do to you.
https://www.gossamergear.com/products/thermarest-vesper-20f-quilt

"900-fill Nikwax Hydrophobic Down™: Stays drier and maintains loft 60 times longer than untreated down."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1
Who's Online Now
629 registered members (10gaugemag, 175rltw, 19352012, 14Homer, 1234, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 585 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2020 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.