Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I am looking to get an AR for hunting. Wanting something that can reach out a ways, but I don't want to be packing a bull bbl or 24" barrelled rifle. I think a 233/5.56 is enough. What twist rate should I be looking for?

What would you guys recommend?

I have put a couple ARs together (aka build) but really am not infatuated with the idea of studying 500 different options for every damn part to decide which best suits me. I barely have time to get out and pull a trigger.

This would essentially be a calling gun with some stalking. I have a 24" bbl woa 204 rifle that's nice, but heavy and long. Too long and a bit too heavy.

Montana MOFO
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Take a look at PSA uppers in 223 Wylde.

Most are floated, 18", 1/7, A2 profile.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15/barreled-upper-assemblies.html?caliber_multi=2477

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
1/8 is a good all around twist.

The Ruger MPR is the best bang for the buck out there, can be found in the 550 range. Comes with upgraded trigger and furniture, floated chf 5r barrel, would be hard to put together one this nice for that amount of money

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like Rock River, damn bear through the same hole rifles.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by killerv

The Ruger MPR is the best bang for the buck out there, can be found in the 550 range. Comes with upgraded trigger and furniture, floated chf 5r barrel, would be hard to put together one this nice for that amount of money

That would be my recommendation as well. Hard to beat.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hanco
I like Rock River, damn bear through the same hole rifles.

You know where the thread is. Prove it. Probably not going to happen. My buddy has one and its not a 1 holer. Not even close.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Start with this barrel and build your own upper. Go to Right To Bear for a Tool Craft bolt and carrier. The free float hand guard of your choice. Brownells has a new design that allows you to do the work yourself. Easy peasy.
kwg

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/18-inch-223-wylde-spr-fluted-rifle-length-ss-premium-barrel.html

https://www.righttobear.com/toolcraft-phosphate-158-MPI-M16-BCG-p/tooauto-011.htm

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...hman-handguards-prod124921.aspx?psize=96

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by kwg020
Start with this barrel and build your own upper. Go to Right To Bear for a Tool Craft bolt and carrier. The free float hand guard of your choice. Brownells has a new design that allows you to do the work yourself. Easy peasy.
kwg

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/18-inch-223-wylde-spr-fluted-rifle-length-ss-premium-barrel.html

https://www.righttobear.com/toolcraft-phosphate-158-MPI-M16-BCG-p/tooauto-011.htm

Did you read the OP?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by kwg020
kwg

Did you read the OP?

I did. I gave him 3 SIMPLE options building on what Montana Marine suggested just a different company and a 1/8 twist barrel that was also suggested.

kwg
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Take a look at PSA uppers in 223 Wylde.

Most are floated, 18", 1/7, A2 profile.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15/barreled-upper-assemblies.html?caliber_multi=2477

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I can agree with this but add that you might want to upgrade the trigger even further when you get a chance

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by boatanchor

I can agree with this but add that you might want to upgrade the trigger even further when you get a chance

I will admit, the 452 trigger is not as nice as my ssae or even my mbts.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by boatanchor

To what? It comes with a nice 2-stage. All you get with a LaRue MBT is a different shaped shoe. And a Geisele just drains your wallet for mall ninja bragging rights.

If a guy can't shoot the MPR, it isn't the trigger holding him back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought 2 PSA pencil barrel 1/7, free floated uppers.
Mated them to MOE furniture, Enhanced trigger lower.
Around $450 in each.
Honestly I haven't put much effort into testing their accuracy.
I am pretty sure they could kill a coyote at any distance I'm likely
to shoot around here.

They sure are a lot nicer to handle than my A2 barreled, Quad Railed
rifle.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by dla
If a guy can't shoot the MPR, it isn't the trigger holding him back.

Maybe. I've owned 3. The first had what I thought was a pretty fair trigger. The second had a pretty crusty trigger. I haven't shot the current one but dry firing it seems quite a bit better than the first one. I think that middle gun would have held a guy back, yep. Held this guy back anyway, maybe not someone else.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd say a lot depends on actual use.
My "hunting AR" is a 16" 5.56 with a 1:8 twist. I've used 64 BSB,65 Win PP, and have 77gr and 75gr waiting to try. For hunting deer and antelope etc a dedicated AR15 in 6.5 Grendel, would be tough to beat. The new .350 Legend shows promise, and there are others. The two I mention specifically are less expensive to buy ammo for but have a bit more performance than the 5.56 if you think you need more.

You can get a complete upper, ready to snap on for $350.

6.5 Grendel for $350

Last edited by BigNate; 11/10/19.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wants in a sometime-coyote-calling-gun were....... under 7 lbs pre-scoped, more than a 16" barrel, full length Picatinny,
and an adjustable stock. Plus, at the under $550 shipped price tag, added the cherry on top.

The Ruger checked all the boxes for me......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I think you've gotten good advice here. The Ruger MPR is the route I'd take if I wasn't building my own. Seems to be a real bargain.

Let us know what you end up doing.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Something to be aware of with the Ruger is that not all of their parts follow milspec AR dimensions. Not all aftermarket parts will fit.

No firsthand on this, but I've read it over and over on forums, and AR parts online retailers.

Not an issue at all if you never intend to start swapping parts around.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Something to be aware of with the Ruger is that not all of their parts follow milspec AR dimensions. Not all aftermarket parts will fit.

No firsthand on this, but I've read it over and over on forums, and AR parts online retailers.

Not an issue at all if you never intend to start swapping parts around.

I thought the only thing Ruger does different is the delta ring & barrel nut - and I think the screw-on ring is a nice improvement. But if someone wants a free float handguard they're going to have to replace the barrel nut I think. Ruger does offer a 556 with a free float handguard - not sure if they went back to the old mil-spec barrel nut or they did something else.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Just one of those things that's not really an issue....until it is.

Might be worth some homework, or not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 907brass, 13 invisible), 1,185 guests, and 800 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,234
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.