Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
No need for a magnum. I’d take something light and short, like a Kimber Montana, in 308 or 7-08.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You k
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by cwh2
If a little bit is good, more must be better!

I see your .338 and raise you .037.

Just step up to a .340. It’s amazing the difference of two thousandths makes!

-Sportys gun counter guy

I'll only do it if I can have a 28" barrel, a break, a bipod, and a 50mm objective scope.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You k

-Sportys gun counter guy

I'll only do it if I can have a 28" barrel, a break, a bipod, and a 50mm objective scope.

BUBBA!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No Mike, he didn't mention see thru rings

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You k

-Sportys gun counter guy

sounds like a great rig! If you run out of ammo,you can just drop it on the bear for a DRT kill.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan

LOL!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They all go POW!......How many decibels ya looking for?

B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Calvin
Putting in for the draw?

Sheesh just went onto the F&G website and talked to the rep in Craig. Just learned this. The draw itself is inexpensive, but the tags are spendy!!!!! Both for bear ($450) and deer ($300 a pop!). Yikes! That's going to take some serious thinking...….

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Originally Posted by Calvin
Putting in for the draw?

Sheesh just went onto the F&G website and talked to the rep in Craig. Just learned this. The draw itself is inexpensive, but the tags are spendy!!!!! Both for bear ($450) and deer ($300 a pop!). Yikes! That's going to take some serious thinking...….

Not to mention transportation, lodging, vehicle rental, etc.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Was gonna say if the tags make you think you might should price the rest of the trip... I've yet to find anything much besides higher prices since we started going in 86. Its all beyond worth the cost but if you are assuming anything is priced like the lower 48 you will be unhappy.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Deer were only $150 for non-residents not that long ago. Remember that you can harvest any animal that costs less than the one you have, so if you buy a bear tag you can still shoot a deer on that tag instead of the bear.

Copied this right off the regs.

"A big game locking-tag may be used for a species of equal or lesser value. You must have obtained a harvest ticket or a permit for the other species prior to hunting. For example, if you purchase a $1,000 brown bear locking-tag, but do not take a brown bear, and take a moose instead, you may use the bear locking-tag on the moose, because the moose has a lesser locking-tag value."

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hank
Youse still in Valdisease?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hank
Youse still in Valdisease?

Yep, for a few more weeks. Heading up to Delta for thanksgiving to visit with some friends of mine and do some predator calling.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You k

-Sportys gun counter guy

Bipods only work if the legs are real short so they don't hang up in the alders... duh!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan

LOL!

+1

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
You k

-Sportys gun counter guy

Bipods only work if the legs are real short so they don't hang up in the alders... duh!

Not always true. What you need is to add a bayonet lug to the kit. The bayonet works great knocking down alders and devil's club. Longer bipod legs help to sweep the path clear. wink

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I use the longest bipod legs I can find. In an emergency, I can always deploy the bipod, toss the rifle on the ground, throw a tarp over the whole works, and I have a ready made tent.

I like the idea of this bayonet/alder/devils club cutter, but I don't want to compromise the safety of my shelter. Thoughts?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use the longest bipod legs I can find. In an emergency, I can always deploy the bipod, toss the rifle on the ground, throw a tarp over the whole works, and I have a ready made tent.

I like the idea of this bayonet/alder/devils club cutter, but I don't want to compromise the safety of my shelter. Thoughts?

I think you left out several valuable multi-tool functions: shortening barrels for getting through the alders; latrine digging, trenching around the tent, or even prying rocks out of your bed; your blue tarp should make it very difficult for bears and wolves to get a good purchase on your hide...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I would use a silnylon tarp laminated with kevlar and an integrated sheath. It weighs a little more than a blue tarp, but the extra room under the canopy from the bayonet extension really adds up to greater comfort in those emergency situations.

And if you can find one, get the sheath with the built in sharpener. It helps to keep the bayonet edge touched up after all of Art's digging and trenching.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JimInAK

I would use a silnylon tarp laminated with kevlar and an integrated sheath. It weighs a little more than a blue tarp, but the extra room under the canopy from the bayonet extension really adds up to greater comfort in those emergency situations.

And if you can find one, get the sheath with the built in sharpener. It helps to keep the bayonet edge touched up after all of Art's digging and trenching.

Point ceded... but it is the barrel shortening he seems to like doing that really dulls his tools...

wink

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 55 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.